Thread: Turn on problem

Deleted

Turn on problem

I posted the other day but no reply, so I'll ask again

So, I have a bit of a computer problem. The other day I was heading out and I can't remember if I shut down my computer or whether it shut itself off, but what I do know is I tried turning it on today and my computer would not even start up, no fans, nothing.

I unplugged the comp, changed fuse but the fuse in my comp plug worked in the kettle so it wasn't that. However I moved the comp into the hallway and it worked in that plug socket so then I was like that's weird :s so I moved it back to my room and it wouldn't boot up again, but after some time it did, and then it didn't again.

So then someone told me to unplug the computer lead completely (something about an automatic fuse needing resetting?) so I unplugged the lead for 5 mins and it powered up and has been running for hours now. However I just shut down my computer and tried turning it on later before bed - NOTHING. Then I pressed the button again and it sounded like an engine starting up - it was as if there was not enough power but then it reached an amount and it kick started and worked :s wtf is that?

as for mobo lights I don't know I can't see in the comp, no fans were starting at all though, no noises - it was as if no power was getting to it at all, untill that time I just mentioned when it sounded like a cars ignition trying to start the car and it just getting there.

I've left the computer on now for about 36 hours, too scared to shut it down - any ideas?

NOTE: My mobo and CPU are both 4 months old. My PSU is relatively old now.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Defective mobo or power supply. Try new power supply first.

90% sure the PSU is dying, 10% for the motherboard.

Give details of the PSU and motherboard so that we can throw wild guesses around which is more likely problem. If for example you have some chinese no-name shit 300W PSU with new AMD FX-8k series processor it's almost certain the PSU is way way overloaded.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I really have no idea what PSU is, all I know is it is completely old, around 8-10 years old from an old Alienware PC.

As for my mobo its: ASUS F1A55-MLX, brand new in August.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with Vess. 99% chance its the psu on it's way out.

To get the machine to power up, you need to disconnect the power lead, hold the power button in for 10 seconds, then reconnect and it's all fine. Intermittent faults are a pita.

Replacing the psu will fix it. Let us know the make, and wattage, and specs of the rest of the system, and we'll know if it's overloaded. How old is "relatively"?

Deleted
    Its 8-10 years old from an old Alienware.

Also how long is it safe to keep my computer on for without any turn off?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
    Its 8-10 years old from an old Alienware.
    8-10 years has very high chance of it being dying even if it was good quality initially. It's probably not that old though, as the motherboard power connectors were changed somewhere around 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
    Also how long is it safe to keep my computer on for without any turn off?
    Years in even temperature.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-11-29 at 11:50 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I clicked on this thread expecting something else.

Quote Originally Posted by treclol View Post
    WIN!

Where the hell is the "thumbs up" button?

Deleted
    MAybe bad connection in wall socket? Plug in a normal light bulb light into it and hit the plug, see if the light flickers at all. If so then theres an issue with the wall outlet or wiring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by treclol View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by naifas View Post
    WIN!

Where the hell is the "thumbs up" button?
    You two should try Sports & Fitness offtopic forum instead. I think they might have some suggestions to fix erectile dysfunctions.
    Trolling should be.