Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

What do you guys think: Proffessions needed to join a guild?

Yo guys,

Last time i signed up to join a guild i was told to roll a different profession because it was "better" for my class
    If i didn't change, i couldn't join the guild lol..

What do you guys think of profession needs to join a pvp/pve guild?

Deleted
    If they are serious raiders, then they might feel every advantage counts. If you wnat to raid with them and share in their progress and if its a standard rule that all the other raiders follow, then I cant see the problem. they offer a small advantage, but as everyone kniows it adds up when all ten people in raid have it.

If you disagree with it then join someone else. I dont think they are wrong for asking. I wouldnt be fussed myself, but its nice to see people making an effort to maximise their characters.
    Last edited by mmoc0afa280d34; 2012-07-30 at 02:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfzgaming View Post
    Yo guys,

Last time i signed up to join a guild i was told to roll a different profession because it was "better" for my class

You dont NEED any proffesion unless you are in a fast progressing guild.

And i guess by your post that you are NOT trying to get in a progression guild,so its a really lame guild if they have such rules.

And if you ARE trying to get in a pro guild then you could ask that question yourself.

Yo guys,

Serious raiding guilds want you to min-max, it's understandable. If you don't have two non-gathering professions it shows you aren't wanting to get 100% out of your char.

Of course, it's only a tiny increase, but it's not about just that one thing, it shows overall that you're willing to put the effort in. Personally I have Mining & JC, but everyone that knows me knows that I put 100% in. If you want to join a guild and impress them, you do what they want and follow their requirements. An example of this would be an old guildy of mine applying for another guild, on their apps they want you to do a speedtest to a certain place, he asked "Why, WoW is hosted in France!". It's not the point, you still do it.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-07-29 at 01:32 PM.

Depends on the case. If its something like a mage with mining in a cutting edge progression guild then I wouldn't be surprised.

I know I've rejected people from my guild for having no professions, but never for not having specific ones.

Meh I'm not that serious of a raider/player so I would probably just laugh and think someone takes the game a bit too seriously. I have a profession in real life that keeps me busy...too busy to switch between the two most "OP" professions for my class every couple of patches. But if that's how they run their guild that's how they run their guild. If you feel it's silly and doesn't matter then find a guild that isn't so picky about things like that.

Deleted
    Yeah you guys are right, I was talking of a "casual" guild. Thats what the guy told me atleast..
    pretty strange you cant have mining as a warrior in a normal 2 days a week raiding guild lol. (just 3 hc clears on DS)

Yeah you guys are right, I was talking of a "casual" guild. Thats what the guy told me atleast..
    pretty strange you cant have mining as a warrior in a normal 2 days a week raiding guild lol. (just 3 hc clears on DS)
    Their guild, their requirements. You either do what they want or don't join, it's as simple as that really.

It's a bit odd if a casual guild is telling you specific professions to level. My guild is between casual and hardcore and we don't look at professions. We let your skill speak for you. However, when we found out one of our former raiders had no helm or shoulder enchants we asked him to get them.

I'm the GM and I don't even have two non-gathering professions. If someone made me switch herb out, I'd laugh at them

Why can't people just answer a question without imposing their opinions?
    Edit: nvm, I can't read

OP:

Any crafting profession (i.e. not gathering profession) will give you a stat bonus IIRC. So just go with Jewelcrafting+Enchanting for example. That's about 80+80 more of your primary stat if you max both professions. That's what raiding guilds want.
    Last edited by Howard Moon; 2012-07-30 at 02:12 PM.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Why can't people just answer a question without imposing their opinions?
    The OP did ask for opinions :P the thread title starts with "what do you guys think".

Deleted
    It is just silly to have gathering professions on your main toon, you want to have that tiny extra boost in every aspect of game, pve or pvp. It isnt casual or hardcore, that is just showing how much you care about your performance and wish to be top.

If you care at all about raiding, having two +80 professions is the absolute easiest and quickest way to improve your character with minimal effort and without raiding.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    The OP did ask for opinions :P the thread title starts with "what do you guys think".
    Re-reading the OP, you are right. My bad, I thought he was asking what profs to get. I guess I'm the one who needs to L2read better ^_^
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

15+ Year Old Account
    Then man up and LOL and join a better/more experienced guild LOL.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really, really wish people would stop calling themselves casual when they are not. At least not by any English definition of the term.

The thing is that a lot of secretly competitive guilds call themselves casual in order to understate the effort they put into the game, in order to justify why they haven't cleared as much content as a bunch of other guilds who are also calling themselves casual for the same reasons. It is just silly.

13% of Raiding guilds have cleared DS HC. So given that they have *just* cleared it 3 times already means they cleared it before the 30% nerf and that probably puts them in the top 10% of raiding guilds.

If they were genuinely casual they wouldn't demand things like taking the best professions. They probably also wouldn't have cleared HC Madness yet.

So, yeah, it is a bit contradictory for a self proclaimed "casual" guild to demand that people min/max their professions. But at the same time it is probably also a bit silly to be expecting a "casual" guild to have 3 HC DS clears.

Yo guys,

This is where I think the game designed wrong...... when players are forced to do something they don't want to.
    At the same time: This is where the players go wrong.. when they let others force them to do something they don't wanna do.

I do what I enjoy and want! period.
    if guilds don't want me.... okay.
    I don't mind... but I never let anyone else decide how I should enjoy something I pay for.

I like to blame blizz for everything, so I say it's their fault. If they just fix the gathering professions to be as good as crafting then all will be well. As for the question, I think a guild can choose whatever they want to be particular about. They sound like casual in terms of time, but not in terms of effort. We had a guy that refused to quest in Deepholm far enough to get the tabard to get the rep for the shoulder enchant. He just hated questing, so he wouldn't do it. In his mind, he wouldn't spend his limited game time doing something he hated. In some of our minds, he wasn't enough of a team player to suffer through a few hours of annoying content like the rest of us did.

Deleted
    I don't see a problem with having specific professions required to join a serious raiding guild. You want to get the best out of your character, so you don't only use epic gems and the best enchants, but also adequate professions. If you had an un-gemmed item, you wouldn't consider this being too picky and that's about the same difference you get from switching from a gathering to a better profession.

In a casual guild, however, I find this to be a little too much. Don't quite get why people are so worried about epic gems and such. They don't make that much of a difference. If you are perfectly skilled, then you want to maximize. If you're just raiding casually, you'd rather optimize your playstyle and then think about possible benefits from switching professions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a guild that would get more gain from l2p issues than profession changing. For casual/social/etc guilds i dont know why they ask for profession changes if they're not serious about it at all. If you're at 3/8hc at this point and think professions is the key for progress you're just plain wrong.

For a raiding guild it would be obvious that mainraiders shouldnt have gathering professions due to little gain compared to crafting ones. But for socials not really. i'd say you're better off without this guild.