Thread: Monks that OP?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Monks that OP?

I heal 10 mans with a monk(and druid/paladin). I'm usually nice and even with the druid and usually ahead of the paladin, but when I(we) heal with the monk, we all get blown out of the water.

SOME fights I'm able to out heal our monk, but more often than not he's just far ahead of everyone.
    Anyone else have this issue? If you don't, is there anything play style-wise you do differently when you heal with monks? I've recently switched to a crit/mastery heavy set up with totemic recall glyph and it didn't really seem to make a difference against him, except maybe heavier AOE fights.

I'm guessing they are just OP...but was wondering if there's any resto shams who don't have issues keeping competitive with them in 10 mans.

Check the Overhealing tab too and account if the actual health going up is more if not the same after subtracting the overheal

Deleted
    ur actually trying to compare monks to shamans and druids? theres very simple reason why monks pull ahead of these classes on most 10 man fights and its spread aoe healing renewing+uplift, when it comes down to tank healing like lets say will of the emperor or protector of the endless monks arent doing that great

I did notice most times he really kicked my ass it was mostly just and renewing mists & uplift.

Monk healers are getting nerfed in 5.1. Yeah, they're pretty OP at the moment, but they should be brought back in line a bit in 5.1.

Deleted
    Healing isn't a competition. If your raid stays alive long enough to kill the bosses you want to kill, you're doing alright. (I suspect you aren't in a very hardcore guild). But yes, monks are pretty op, as you can see here:

http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overa...fault/#fo00000

On 10 man normal the gap isn't that big and it seems pretty balanced. Some fights certain specs will be better, that's always going to be the case.

Edit: for some reason it doesn't show all healing specs, just click them

I'm in a pretty good guild we've just had some attendance and raid comp changing issues the last few weeks. We should get deeper into hard modes in the next week or so.

Yea I know healing isn't a competition, but I have raided with guilds that take the competitiveness very seriously, so there's always a part of me that reverts back to that, but really only when I see myself 10-20k + behind a healer...unless there's some giant skill gap(which isn't the case lol), that shouldn't be happening.

Our monk has also made comments here and there about him being ahead by that much. Especially on Garalon, he absolutely destroys both me and the druid(or pally if he's in).
    Last edited by Shammyspice; 2012-11-26 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Altam View Post
    Healing isn't a competition. If your raid stays alive long enough to kill the bosses you want to kill, you're doing alright. (I suspect you aren't in a very hardcore guild). But yes, monks are pretty op, as you can see here:

On 10 man normal the gap isn't that big and it seems pretty balanced. Some fights certain specs will be better, that's always going to be the case.

Edit: for some reason it doesn't show all healing specs, just click them
    I would say on 10 man the gap a is a lot bigger from experience. Furthermore on 25man the gap between shamans and monks is a lot smaller since shamans don't do well in the 10man environment

All righty, pretty much what I was thinking then. Thanks for the validation :P

Yeah monks are very good for AoE fights, and in 10man Monks can have Renewing Mist on the whole raid for long periods of time, so we are just strong for AoE for the most part. I can't single target heal for crap tho =/
    I can tank heal, but I oom way to quickly :P

monks are strong substained healers but i dont think they are good on direct healing or many survival cdowns to account for the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Altam View Post
    Healing isn't a competition. If your raid stays alive long enough to kill the bosses you want to kill, you're doing alright.

blah blah blah
    More HPS on individual healers means you can bring less healers, or that your off-healers don't have to give up as much dps to support the healers, etc., which makes killing them bosses easier for obvious reasons.

You may as well be saying that dps isn't a competition, and that as long as the boss dies you did fine... which is true on a lot of fights, too... and on a lot of fights healing is also very much "a competition", as you phrase it, even if I would phrase it as a competition against the damage dealt out by the encounter, rather than against your fellow healers as I get the feeling you're implying.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedoja View Post
    Check the Overhealing tab too and account if the actual health going up is more if not the same after subtracting the overheal
    Please don't take this seriously. Things have changed this time around. Monks are going to be pissing out a huge amount of overheals due to every action that take causing some kind of passive healing and people heating Healing Spheres by accident. Check the monks mana. If he's destroying meters that much and still ending up with >30% mana, he knows what he's doing. There's a big difference between overhealing to OOM and overhealing simply though passive numbers with little to no waste.

Yes, we mistweavers are doing very good right now when played properly. A little of our haste and passive healing is going away next patch, but dont expect much of a difference in the meters. In a raid environment, we're excelling quite nicely.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

I don't pay attention much to over healing. It really only matters if you're going oom. Which I don't think is the case for anyone on our heal team.

Maybe the monk player is just a better player than you?

10+ Year Old Account
    welcome to being a shaman

the more your raid sucks, the better your healing is

possible

but definitely not the reason for such a huge discrepancy

monks are just lol

shamans healing tide
    monks revival

shamans manatide
    monks meh

shamans spirit link totem
    monks meh

life cocoon doesn't count

shamans does have good raid cds, monks dont. the only good way to be good at single taget heal is so spam soothing mist and finish with 3 chi for enveloping mist and spamming surging mist from time to time. you are oom after 1 min.

but yeah, in fights like garalon a monk is the deal but so is a disci priest.

monks are fine, and with the nerf, other healers will go through the roof
    13/13

Monk

Quote Originally Posted by JuicedawgYO View Post
    Why am I not surprised someone with the forum name "JuicedawgYO" was the only one who suggested this.

And yes, our monk is a very good player, but so am I and so are our other healers.
    It's pretty obvious it's an OP thing and not a skill issue.

are you having problems downing bosses and progressing? or is it just a thing where you're upset that someone is doing more healing on a meter and you're not even or better than they are? monks do a lot of over healing for reasons they can't help or for reasons on purpose, due to the mechanics and excelling at raid healing they have a habit of doing extremely well when it comes to numbers on a healing meter.

Oh I don't care about "being better" but I've raided in environments where if you weren't in step with other healers, you weren't doing certain things correctly. Example: I raided with a really hardcore 25 man group towards the very end of Cata and I was below the other r sham, not by much, but I got "talked to" cause riptide wasn't at 100% every single fight(mind you we were on farm content too), even if it was around 95% that wasn't good enough D: I ended up stopping raiding with them 'cause I had already been through being more or less "perfect" for progression and I don't think needing to be "perfect" for farm content is necessary if bosses are being killed within 2-4 minutes. It was never fun to raid 'cause I was constantly worrying about having perfect uptimes on everything

So I guess 'cause of that experience, if I see a major hps difference, I tend to think it's something I'm not doing or could do better.

But no, progression isn't really an issue. Most trouble we've had so far was Garalon, but it was more of a strat issue than a healing issue. Once we sorted out a strat that worked for us, we got it down.
    Last edited by Shammyspice; 2012-11-27 at 02:42 PM.