Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is Challenge Gold 9/9 possible with this setup?

Hello, as the title says.

We're a group of friends from our guild that wants to start doing challenge modes for the transmorg gear, we spent approximately 2 1/2 hours yesterday in Mogu'shan Palace but the closest we got was 1 minute off of gold and we had a hard time finding out what we could improve.

We're all 4/6 MSV heroic 16/16 normal exped, so I'm having troubles imagining that people just aren't skilled enough.

The lineup we intend to run:

Shadow Priest, Blood DK, Holy Paladin, Warlock & Hunter.

We felt like Bloodlust was mandatory so we had our hunter as BM with a core hound the entire run yesterday, but not being surv gimps his AoE so much.
    And I feel like I don't have that much to contribute as far as soft cc and group utility goes as a Shadow Priest, should I consider going healer while our paladin dpses instead?
    Is it possible for our lineup to get golds at all? because we felt like gold was so far off while doing everything as smooth as we could.

Any thoughts are more than welcome. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by facerollyo View Post
    Hello, as the title says.

We're a group of friends from our guild that wants to start doing challenge modes for the transmorg gear, we spent approximately 2 1/2 hours yesterday in Mogu'shan Palace but the closest we got was 1 minute off of gold and we had a hard time finding out what we could improve.

We're all 4/6 MSV heroic 16/16 normal exped, so I'm having troubles imagining that people just aren't skilled enough.

The lineup we intend to run:

Shadow Priest, Blood DK, Holy Paladin, Warlock & Hunter.

We felt like Bloodlust was mandatory so we had our hunter as BM with a core hound the entire run yesterday, but not being surv gimps his AoE so much.
    And I feel like I don't have that much to contribute as far as soft cc and group utility goes as a Shadow Priest, should I consider going healer while our paladin dpses instead?
    Is it possible for our lineup to get golds at all? because we felt like gold was so far off while doing everything as smooth as we could.

Any thoughts are more than welcome. Thanks.
    A better setup would be you doing off heals as a spriest with the pally going DPS. I think most people are doing gold modes without an actual healer. You just need to time your CDs so your tank doesn't die when you have big groups. I'm no expert though but its what I recall reading.

Deleted
    We did them as blood DK, rogue, frost DK, holy paladin and hunter. Hunter swapped between surv and BM (BM only for bosses that needed lust, surv for rest of the instance), and all of them were relatively easy. You just have to find right tactic for you composition (what you can pull, what you can skip etc.)

You can do gold challenge modes with more or less any set up. Some are better than others and if you care about the leader board you're going to want a more streamlined class selection, but it's doable if you just want the achievement. It'll take some practice. It's not like you're going to just walk in and one shot them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    A better setup would be you doing off heals as a spriest with the pally going DPS. I think most people are doing gold modes without an actual healer. You just need to time your CDs so your tank doesn't die when you have big groups. I'm no expert though but its what I recall reading.
    We did them all with a 1 tank/1healer/2melee/1ranged setup. You can do these with any setup. Bloodlust is pretty much mandatory. Brewmaster/Resto Shaman/Hunter/Rogue/Warrior if you're interested btw.

It's more that it comes down to how you as players coordinate. Granted some comps will make things a bit harder - having a dk makes shit much easier - but so long as you're good you'll do it np with that comp.

My group did several golds with Paladin tank, Resto Druid, Feral Druid, Fury Warrior and a Rouge. Heroism is not mandatory, it helps, but most classes brings good stuff that will help you out.

From my experience it doesn't seem to matter too much exactly what lineup you bring, as long as it's good players and everyone can help figure out how they can contribute the best to the hardest sections.

I would call invis potions mandatory though. Rogue AoE stealth works as a replacement at some spots.

Deleted
    You got pretty easycomp tbh, I atleast found mogusan palace to be maybe second hardest of them all so. Its allmost as tight as that brewery thing just easier when it comes to pulls.
    My comp was DK tank, holypaladin, lock, eleshaman and me as ww monk.
    Last edited by mmoc1a42d9ac04; 2012-11-30 at 02:39 PM.

Your comp's fine.
    Bloodlust isn't neccessary to get the golds - for instance, we had almost a minute left on Brewery with hunter/lock/ele shaman, druid tank setup, and our shaman popped lust 5 seconds before our sated wore off, so we only got to use it once at the start. Obviously, 40 seconds of lust does not give us a 50 second advantage. As you're doing 3 ranged, along with having a freakin' blood dk and holy paladin so your tank is pretty much invincible, you should have no issues.
    Remember invis pots, flasks, food, etc.

There are spots in that run where you can swap specs if you time it right, if you think bloodlust is absolutely necessary.

I did the gold modes with blood dk, spriest, ele shammy, warlock and resto druid. Fairly similar as your comp stampeding roar can be brought by your hunter with aspect. Hunter could respec at certain points without loosing any time if BL is really needed. Your comp should work

Mogushan palace was for us the hardest made it in exactly 12:00 you want to trigger the rp for the first boss as soon as possible. Do the second boss efficiently, we killed the hexer first cced the oracle and I popped army and started on the iron hide as tank (army here helps preventing some stuns) but you can go for the iron hide first as well then just proceed to the end as fast as possible. I suggest you start with gates on challenge mode its by far the easiest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    I'm pretty sure most groups are doing gold modes with a healer. I'm not saying its better without if you can manage but the damage in some instances is severe and i can't see most groups running without heals.

comp is fine
    we did gold with

tank warrior
    holy pala
    fury warrior
    warlock
    mage

of course roar or hunter aura would help but well you can do evrythink like that

See, this is the fun stuff with challenge modes. People will tell you that sure you're running a viable comp, but each player plays differently so its up for your group to come up with whatever works best for you.

Watch some vids, pull ideas/strats from there along with whatever is suggested in these forums. Also, watching vids can help with providing milestones with your own run -- take note of when the groups in videos get to a boss, kill the boss, reach a particular part of the instance, etc and note down their times and compare with yours. See if you're ahead and where you fall behind, and remember everything is pretty much approximation because your group might be stronger on bosses vs their group being stronger in other aspects so you gain time where they lose time.

Mogushan is probably one of the tighter ones on time (mentioned by a few others), it also was for us. You can take some previous recommendations of trying out some easier challenge modes first - Gate, Shado Pan we found pretty easy (It was one of our last, so maybe we were just getting better?), and Scarlet Halls is also pretty easy but more annoying because dogs bug and might run in randomly within the first half of the instance, so just a tad more annoying.

In terms of soft CC, you should be fine. Open with Shadowfury, DK starts up remorseless, Psyfiend after remorseless, Pally hammer of justice on one just cause, Psychic Scream after Psyfiend, Ice trap to help kite if there is still heavy damage and/or to relieve some pressure.

Oh, and Army...yeah...that awesome CD helps in ALOT of instances but we didnt have one cause we ran Prot Warrior, Frost Mage, Rogue, Boomkin, Disc Priest(moi!).

Keep at it, don't give up. Sticking it through with the same comp from start to finish also creates for quite the bonding experience :P
    Stay gold ponyboy, stay gold.

How good/bad are prot paladins compared to the other tanking flavors? I know people say blood dks are the best but I'd be interested to see people who have done it rank them.

Deleted
    Wowprogress has ranks for all challenge dungeons and you'll see prot pala's feature in a good number of top10 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Winkle View Post
    Wowprogress has ranks for all challenge dungeons and you'll see prot pala's feature in a good number of top10 times.
    That makes me feel a little bit better about it, although I have my work cut out for me assembling a team. For those of you who completed it, did you hop right into challenge modes or speedrun the heroics a bunch first to practice?

Deleted
    TBH i'd suggest just hopping straight in. I'm sure different groups approached it in different ways but be aware that the instances do live up to their name, especially if you're pushing for gold, expect to wipe.

The route i took (and i haven't completed all gold yet) is to initially do the daily each day, with the aim of getting silver. This allows you to get a fill for each instance, especially the tricky pulls. If at all possible you'll want to run with the same group of people so that you can into the practice of synergising your CD's/CC. After learning the instance you can return to push for gold, at this point you will need to know what pulls your potting and when you'll be using invis etc.

OK, thanks a lot for the advice. Looks like my current potential group makeup is me (prot pally), resto shaman, mage, dk/ret paladin (same player, hasn't picked a toon for this yet although I'm pushing him towards dk) and warlock. Everything I've heard is that it's a good idea to go in range heavy, but that's pretty standard for most fights in WoW anyway. =)

Deleted
    If you couldn't nail a gold it was probably because you didn't optimize your path, not because your comp was bad (unless you were underperfoming too much). We did palace with -45 secs by using invis pot just before the scout, skipping all three packs of saurus (cancel your potion on the left side, by the column, you won't aggro the casters while trying to jump to engage the boss). Skipped the casters before the elevator too. Everything else we killed. Chain pull as much as you can, start the rp on the first boss as soon as you aggro the pack before it, and finish/start the third mob on the first boss on the stairs. Try it if it sounds better than what you did.

Also, if it was your first challenge mode, I would start with Setting Sun. It is the entry level challenge, without need of invis potion (you have to kill everything except the two melees before the elevator), no specially hard pulls nor bosses. It's a kill and aoe everything as fast as you can without any odd things needed to get a gold. You will get one within a few tries.

PD: About the melees, certainly truth. If you did Palace you probably notice the pain in the ass that are whirlwinding mobs if you can't interrupt everything. It's bad enough that the tank needs to kite and stop dpsing, a melee having to leave melee it's a zero. There are worse things and bosses for melee than that too.
    Last edited by mmoc38db56fadf; 2012-11-30 at 05:36 PM.

Use this strat:
    - Pull the first two groups together (with a prepot) - use a hero here if you have it.
    - Pull the second group, wait a couple of seconds and have someone aggro the boss to start the RP.
    - Ideally break combat for ~1-2 seconds to allow for prepots and healer to drink (they will have to use Klaxxi water as there is an aggro pulse).
    - The bosses will always come out in a set order (right to left). Move third to the ramp (go around the pillar) to save time.
    - As soon as boss dies, have the entire group run straight away - use pack.
    - When you reach the scout use an Invisibility potion (18s) and have the group jump the ledge.
    - Engage boss, use AoE to burn adds. KEEP INTURRUPTS ON THE IRONHIDE - while he is stunned/locked out he won't have his auras on the others.
    - Don't worry about single target on the boss until only one or two adds are up, the elevator won't start moving until they are all dead anyways.
    - CC the two adds with light CC after the boss (we used a shadow priest fear). Run straight for elevator - you will always make it (Again, use pack).
    - If you can skip the next group, do it. Otherwise kill as normal (it is not worth waiting until you *can* skip it).
    - Avoid the patrol heading into the next room, aggro the two melee NPCs and drag them into the next room (most likely use army here).
    - Kill dogs - make sure you are stacked as they jump.
    - Kill boss - use defense system if needed (does ~15% of bosses health). Hero will be back up for this.

Basically the main points are:
    - Use potions whenever possible.
    - Use two heroisms - the first pull is much smoother with it and the last boss is just a solid burn for 40s, so both are great uses.
    - Use invisibility potion correctly.
    - After the second boss, all your group should be stacked for every pull afterwards - no downside and helps save some time.

In terms of your group's CC:
    - Can use endless winter for first pull (DK AoE CC) - note that you can change talents in challenge modes with no penalty. Switch after first boss while running.
    - Priest has Psyfiend and Fear, use to break whirlwinds, mob casts etc.
    - Paladin has blinding light (Glyph it) - 4s AoE stun.
    - Warlock has Infernal/Abyssal and Shadowfury - Infernal on second pull and doomguard last boss. Shadowfury for CC.
    - You can try using Binding shot as an AoE CC with AoE death grip - not sure how well this will work though.