Thread: New gaming rig

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Just because that card is a triple slot? If that annoys you that much get the lightning. Evga just has crap cooling and soon you'll be here back with temperature issues and noise.
    The evga card in question does not have the reference cooler, but a 2 fan design. So i doubt that.
    And i cant find a ASUS card that runs stock at 1200 Mhz, highest i can find is 1137.

    Altho there seems to be a 2 slot ASUS 680 now, with 4 gb even xD

    http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/32220...dc2g-4gd5.html

    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    cooling is the same atleast also lightnings are more prone to rma due to their high OC.....
    Show me some data about that, cause i doubt that.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    so how are the fans different again? (allways welcome when you shoot down evga solutions without even looking at them)
    cooling is the same atleast also lightnings are more prone to rma due to their high OC.....
    The fan quality doesn't matter a f***. Fanprofile actually matters a lot for silence. The lightning tends to have a higher fan profile than the Asus at a certaint point of temps. MSI just reverses their fans.. You can always make your own fanprofile to reduce the noise but with cards like evga you shouldn't. For example the lightning runs at 65° with a fan speed of 40% which is too fast for such temps.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 08:54 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    The evga card in question does not have the reference cooler, but a 2 fan design. So i doubt that.
    And i cant find a ASUS card that runs stock at 1200 Mhz, highest i can find is 1137.

    Altho there seems to be a 2 slot ASUS 680 now, with 4 gb even xD

    http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/32220...dc2g-4gd5.html



    Show me some data about that, cause i doubt that.
    http://i.imgur.com/fZPUt.jpg

    Remind, the Default is greyed out because I clicked on it.

    1137 is the default clock speed
    1201 is the Boost clock
    1254MHz is the nvidia extra boost clock.
    Last edited by Faithh; 2012-12-02 at 07:55 PM.

  3. #43
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    The evga card in question does not have the reference cooler, but a 2 fan design. So i doubt that.
    And i cant find a ASUS card that runs stock at 1200 Mhz, highest i can find is 1137.

    Altho there seems to be a 2 slot ASUS 680 now, with 4 gb even xD

    http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/32220...dc2g-4gd5.html



    Show me some data about that, cause i doubt that.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI...ion,18013.html
    it is about the lower series so i wasn't correct on that one , however still a reason to be more cautious around msi cards.
    what is all the fuzz about the suggested card because im not seeing anything here beyond personal brand choice. (when talking double fan setup there is pretty much no difference between all those cards in sheer performance, albeit some might be 1% higher oc'd from the factory wohoo.....)

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI...ion,18013.html
    it is about the lower series so i wasn't correct on that one , however still a reason to be more cautious around msi cards.
    what is all the fuzz about the suggested card because im not seeing anything here beyond personal brand choice. (when talking double fan setup there is pretty much no difference between all those cards in sheer performance, albeit some might be 1% higher oc'd from the factory wohoo.....)
    If I downclock to 1000MHz on core & 6000MHz I get a score of 45 fps in heaven 3.0 everything at ultra 1080p

    With the overclock in this screenshot http://i.imgur.com/Sg0r6.jpg I get 57 fps..

    Bear in mind, if I mod this bios to have 1.23V on core I'll sure get like 1370MHz on the core.

  5. #45
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    If I downclock to 1000MHz on core & 6000MHz I get a score of 45 fps in heaven 3.0 everything at ultra 1080p

    With the overclock in this screenshot http://i.imgur.com/Sg0r6.jpg I get 57 fps..

    Bear in mind, if I mod this bios to have 1.23V on core I'll sure get like 1370MHz on the core.
    and how many artifacts? the guy needs a good gpu not some kind of manual oc monster.........

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    and how many artifacts? the guy needs a good gpu not some kind of manual oc monster.........
    0 with 60 minutes in evga oc scanner x. Also furmark 1hour stable so..

  7. #47
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    0 with 60 minutes in evga oc scanner x. Also furmark 1hour stable so..
    well either you got a super card or something isn't maxed out because my 670 hits 40 fps average and i doubt the small clock differences make up for all that.
    or it is just the benchmark since in games 670 and 680 are tied very close performance wise.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    well either you got a super card or something isn't maxed out because my 670 hits 40 fps average and i doubt the small clock differences make up for all that.
    or it is just the benchmark since in games 670 and 680 are tied very close performance wise.
    The TOP versions are binned & tested to run at 1254MHz on Core and I've been lucky with the RAM. Some TOPS are doing 1350MHz on Core but mainly only a silly 6800MHz on RAM.

    Thinking about making use of hotwire and getting myself an Asus max v extr board to push this card higher. Who knows I get 8GHz on vram lol :P

  9. #49
    The Lightbringer Ermahgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,443
    Okay, so what I got out of all of your replies is that the MSI lightning COULD be prone to this something called overvolting? Idk what that exactly is, but it doesn't sound great. Even if it only occured in the lower series, I don't want to risk things that cost so much money.

    http://www.alternate.nl/html/product.../?event=search
    This seems to be a nice graphics card (this is the card Zeara posted). But how much would 2gb extra memory matter? It's nice that it's a 2 slot graphics card though. That means I'll be able to get a second one in the future if I ever wanted to, right?

    Edit: Does the EVGA 680 really have cooling issues? And what about when it is OCing? I'd like to keep all options open when it comes to OCing/upgrading/expanding etc.
    Sorry if I'm a bit late about telling this btw.

  10. #50
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Okay, so what I got out of all of your replies is that the MSI lightning COULD be prone to this something called overvolting? Idk what that exactly is, but it doesn't sound great. Even if it only occured in the lower series, I don't want to risk things that cost so much money.

    http://www.alternate.nl/html/product.../?event=search
    This seems to be a nice graphics card (this is the card Zeara posted). But how much would 2gb extra memory matter? It's nice that it's a 2 slot graphics card though. That means I'll be able to get a second one in the future if I ever wanted to, right?

    Edit: Does the EVGA 680 really have cooling issues? And what about when it is OCing? I'd like to keep all options open when it comes to OCing/upgrading/expanding etc.
    Sorry if I'm a bit late about telling this btw.
    4gb memory has no effect on standard screen setups (it makes a difference for tripple screen setups but that is very specific high end)
    in regards to oc'ing a gpu the gain is very small most of the times. (think in 1/2% performance gain at best)
    most cards got a good oc with factory settings already.
    the evga one slightly higher factory clock compared to the asus one , cooling setup they are likely to be the same. (both have a dual fan layout)
    both of those cards work . they are very similar, i doubt you will be able to spot even the very tiny differences without looking at benchmarks for those very little fps differences (1/2 fps tops pretty much)

    after 2 fan lay-out all gtx 680 are almost the same they are only clocked slightly different but this is a very very minor effect. (unless you start looking at those very high factory clocked ones like asus top cards, 7970 platinum or whatever it is called and the famous MARS cards.)

    just check if a gtx680 is a 2 slot dual card with a fan setup (or tripple fan for gigabyte ones), after that the most you can do is compare clocks but those are very similar. (4gb vram edition isn't worth it for your setup unless you want to go higher resolutions in a very short amount of time, but even then the performance gain isn't that big)
    Last edited by shroudster; 2012-12-03 at 09:55 AM.

  11. #51
    I posted that 2 slot 680 from asus to show you there was one (I was a bit suprised). But it is to expensive to consider.

    Im also wondering if it might not be better to go for the 670. Performance wise it is pretty close to the 680 and it will be cheaper to SLI in the future.
    Only think about the 670 if you want to save some money. Otherwise the 680 from evga will do.

  12. #52
    The Lightbringer Ermahgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I posted that 2 slot 680 from asus to show you there was one (I was a bit suprised). But it is to expensive to consider.

    Im also wondering if it might not be better to go for the 670. Performance wise it is pretty close to the 680 and it will be cheaper to SLI in the future.
    Only think about the 670 if you want to save some money. Otherwise the 680 from evga will do.
    I think I'll just go with hte 680. If in the future I want a second graphics card, then that will only happen if I have extra money. Otherwise I won't buy a second graphics card because it wouldn't be necessary because of the games I currently play.

    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    4gb memory has no effect on standard screen setups (it makes a difference for tripple screen setups but that is very specific high end)
    in regards to oc'ing a gpu the gain is very small most of the times. (think in 1/2% performance gain at best)
    most cards got a good oc with factory settings already.
    the evga one slightly higher factory clock compared to the asus one , cooling setup they are likely to be the same. (both have a dual fan layout)
    both of those cards work . they are very similar, i doubt you will be able to spot even the very tiny differences without looking at benchmarks for those very little fps differences (1/2 fps tops pretty much)

    after 2 fan lay-out all gtx 680 are almost the same they are only clocked slightly different but this is a very very minor effect. (unless you start looking at those very high factory clocked ones like asus top cards, 7970 platinum or whatever it is called and the famous MARS cards.)

    just check if a gtx680 is a 2 slot dual card with a fan setup (or tripple fan for gigabyte ones), after that the most you can do is compare clocks but those are very similar. (4gb vram edition isn't worth it for your setup unless you want to go higher resolutions in a very short amount of time, but even then the performance gain isn't that big)
    Hmkay, with clocking you're talking about the settings of a graphics card, right? Also, would you still recommend me the evga 680gtx you linked me for my current setup?

  13. #53
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    the evga gtx 680 SC signature is one of the best cards in evga's line-up. (only classified and watercooled ones are better but allot more expensive aswell)
    the 2 slot asus works aswell but is more expensive and lower clocked so that wouldn't make sense to buy imo . (since both brands are just as reliable)

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Okay, so what I got out of all of your replies is that the MSI lightning COULD be prone to this something called overvolting? Idk what that exactly is, but it doesn't sound great. Even if it only occured in the lower series, I don't want to risk things that cost so much money.

    http://www.alternate.nl/html/product.../?event=search
    This seems to be a nice graphics card (this is the card Zeara posted). But how much would 2gb extra memory matter? It's nice that it's a 2 slot graphics card though. That means I'll be able to get a second one in the future if I ever wanted to, right?

    Edit: Does the EVGA 680 really have cooling issues? And what about when it is OCing? I'd like to keep all options open when it comes to OCing/upgrading/expanding etc.
    Sorry if I'm a bit late about telling this btw.
    The MSI lightning has triple voltage tweaking which just means sharper voltages on the core & memory. Also every nvidia card is limited to 1.175V on the voltage but the Lightning has an LN2 bios which was allowing to go higher than 1.175V but MSI had to modify that bios because nVidia forced them to do that.

    If you want to unlock the ln2 bios you have to mod your card by flashing the bios with an unlocked bios.

    EVGA's cooling is nothing compared to Asus/MSI.

    If you don't want to do modding & all that stuff and want a pre-high overclocked card get this one. http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/N...TX680DC2T2GD5/

    Been telling it earlier that this card boosts to 1254MHz default. This is really the most quitest card of all gtx 680's. Buying an evga over this one is stupid and evga just sucks.

    You can't overvolt or anything like that with the Asus but it's not needed. Overclocking them are easy.
    Core clock: just increase it step by step with 10MHz and play your game - until your game crashes just step 5-10MHz lower
    Memory clock: just bump it to 6800MHz and run the evga oc scanner x program to check if there are artifacts - If not just increase the memory freq, If it's artifacting go lower.

    The evga signature gtx 680 sc2 or whatever is just a very hot card. It's running 14° higher and 20dba more noisy. http://be.hardware.info/reviews/3022...luidsproductie

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 10:12 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    the evga gtx 680 SC signature is one of the best cards in evga's line-up. (only classified and watercooled ones are better but allot more expensive aswell)
    the 2 slot asus works aswell but is more expensive and lower clocked so that wouldn't make sense to buy imo . (since both brands are just as reliable)
    I don't really know how you even could succeed to advise people buying a very noisy & hot card which doesn't have room for OC'ing anyway. http://be.hardware.info/reviews/3022...luidsproductie

  15. #55
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    The MSI lightning has triple voltage tweaking which just means sharper voltages on the core & memory. Also every nvidia card is limited to 1.175V on the voltage but the Lightning has an LN2 bios which was allowing to go higher than 1.175V but MSI had to modify that bios because nVidia forced them to do that.

    If you want to unlock the ln2 bios you have to mod your card by flashing the bios with an unlocked bios.

    EVGA's cooling is nothing compared to Asus/MSI.

    If you don't want to do modding & all that stuff and want a pre-high overclocked card get this one. http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/N...TX680DC2T2GD5/

    Been telling it earlier that this card boosts to 1254MHz default. This is really the most quitest card of all gtx 680's. Buying an evga over this one is stupid and evga just sucks.

    You can't overvolt or anything like that with the Asus but it's not needed. Overclocking them are easy.
    Core clock: just increase it step by step with 10MHz and play your game - until your game crashes just step 5-10MHz lower
    Memory clock: just bump it to 6800MHz and run the evga oc scanner x program to check if there are artifacts - If not just increase the memory freq, If it's artifacting go lower.

    The evga signature gtx 680 sc2 or whatever is just a very hot card. It's running 14° higher and 20dba more noisy. http://be.hardware.info/reviews/3022...luidsproductie

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 10:12 PM ----------



    I don't really know how you even could succeed to advise people buying a very noisy & hot card which doesn't have room for OC'ing anyway. http://be.hardware.info/reviews/3022...luidsproductie
    ofc it is when bench is about the single fan signature card.
    bring back some proof about the dual fan one i linked instead of going back to your default evga is bad without even comparing specific card in question........
    you can also see in that benchmark that all dual fan sets differ barely a thing in noise. (<2decibel @ 10cm really?)
    the guy first needs to find out more about cpu overclocking, gpu oc'ing is a whole different ballgame.
    also it is a 2,5/3 slot card you are recommending thus making SLI a way worse option for the future.

    edit : start looking at the big picture in the link you provided the evga one performed as one of the best cards (1st or 2nd on every bench.....)
    Last edited by shroudster; 2012-12-03 at 09:22 PM.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    ofc it is when bench is about the single fan signature card.
    bring back some proof about the dual fan one i linked instead of going back to your default evga is bad without even comparing specific card in question........
    you can also see in that benchmark that all dual fan sets differ barely a thing in noise. (<2decibel @ 10cm really?)
    the guy first needs to find out more about cpu overclocking, gpu oc'ing is a whole different ballgame.
    also it is a 2,5/3 slot card you are recommending thus making SLI a way worse option for the future.
    SLI'ing the asus is not a problem if you have a decent motherboard such as a maximus v extreme which allows you to have a free slot gap between those cards. A 7slot case is fine. And it's not really a must have to have a gap between them. I tried to sli my top with the nontop version which is a 3slot as well on a simple z68-v pro motherboard and I don't get higher than 67° on the first card..

    If he prefers a 2 slot card -> MSI lightning or maybe an asus dc2 with 2 slots only

    You asked evidence, right. Noise graphs http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src...dnoise-xbt.png

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src..._tauto_big.png 50% fan speed is already loud.

    Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...2_4.html#sect0

    Take the table content: Design and features you already see it's the dual fan version.

  17. #57
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    SLI'ing the asus is not a problem if you have a decent motherboard such as a maximus v extreme which allows you to have a free slot gap between those cards. A 7slot case is fine. And it's not really a must have to have a gap between them. I tried to sli my top with the nontop version which is a 3slot as well on a simple z68-v pro motherboard and I don't get higher than 67° on the first card..

    If he prefers a 2 slot card -> MSI lightning or maybe an asus dc2 with 2 slots only

    You asked evidence, right. Noise graphs http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src...dnoise-xbt.png

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src..._tauto_big.png 50% fan speed is already loud.

    Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...2_4.html#sect0

    Take the table content: Design and features you already see it's the dual fan version.
    gj avoiding actual fps benchmarks! (perhaps because the asus one lost face there vs the crappy evga card?)
    also in regards to noise my evga single fan runs 46% load while keeping temp around 70 degrees, i don't see how you would consider that loud nor ineffective if you would translate such to the dual fan setup.
    more about the noise tests those are taken at distances none will ever have an issue with it..... (15cm really? most general users got a pc below a desk atleast 0,5m away from them.) your moaning about minor parts where as the evga card is a clear overall champ with the highest performance in fps and still sufficient cooling and noise isn't the big issue you make it to be. (nitpicking in order to make some minor point which could be relevant to you but highly unlikely to affect the OP)

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    gj avoiding actual fps benchmarks! (perhaps because the asus one lost face there vs the crappy evga card?)
    also in regards to noise my evga single fan runs 46% load while keeping temp around 70 degrees, i don't see how you would consider that loud nor ineffective if you would translate such to the dual fan setup.
    more about the noise tests those are taken at distances none will ever have an issue with it..... (15cm really? most general users got a pc below a desk atleast 0,5m away from them.) your moaning about minor parts where as the evga card is a clear overall champ with the highest performance in fps and still sufficient cooling and noise isn't the big issue you make it to be. (nitpicking in order to make some minor point which could be relevant to you but highly unlikely to affect the OP)
    Sjeeezes. Who cares for 1 or 2 fps? Seriously start to consider an additional 1 frame isn't a performance gain.

    Dude about the noise, The Asus was clearly more silent than the EVGA. I just set my fans to 46% and my PC is like 2 meters away from me and I'm hearing it very clearly.

    Have you ever been realizing a card running at 50% fan speed without a case would be less noisy'er than if you mount it in a case, measuring noise both situations from the same distance.

    Maybe he doesn't want to have every 3 months a maintenance to clean the card's fan dust out and with an Asus it might be every 1 or 2 years just because of better cooling & noise.

  19. #59
    Guys, let's just get this out of the way: You can probably overclock any GTX 680 to roughly the same point. Last I recall even MSI had to back off on the ability to tweak the voltage, though I won't say this for sure as my memory is fuzzy.

    Moreover, you can probably overclock a GTX 670 to the same level, especially with those that share a PCB comparative to the GTX 680. The hardware is really not that different for most of the card models.

    I'd argue for keeping with just the cheaper model as long as it's EVGA or some other trustworthy brand, as generally the differences you find in the GTX 680 models are largely pretty moot. Either you get lower noise but higher temps, or lower temps and more noise, etc. The reference models are very balanced in this regard last I saw.

    @Faithh: What the heck are you involving dust into the mix for? That's got very little to do with graphics card models, and way more to do with proper setup of the case. With a positive air pressure and dust filters on the intake fans, it should hardly be a problem.

    And I'll be happy to testify that the MSI 680 Lightning is quite the noisy bastard, especially during boot when it supposedly clears out dust.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-12-03 at 10:03 PM.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Guys, let's just get this out of the way: You can probably overclock any GTX 680 to roughly the same point. Last I recall even MSI had to back off on the ability to tweak the voltage, though I won't say this for sure as my memory is fuzzy.

    Moreover, you can probably overclock a GTX 670 to the same level, especially with those that share a PCB comparative to the GTX 680. The hardware is really not that different for most of the card models.

    I'd argue for keeping with just the cheaper model as long as it's EVGA or some other trustworthy brand, as generally the differences you find in the GTX 680 models are largely pretty moot. Either you get lower noise but higher temps, or lower temps and more noise, etc. The reference models are very balanced in this regard last I saw.
    The lightning is a very quiet card so the dc2's are and both are running cool so...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •