Poll: Which type of lock do you prefer?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Key or Combination Lock?

Which one do you prefer?

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer combination locks for security, though the simplicity of a key is nice.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

This will sound weird, but I prefer key because combination locks just feel so juvenile. A key makes me think of a house or a car, combination lock makes me think of middle school/high school lockers.

Ultimately, I like the idea of biometrics. Fingerprints, facial recognition, voice recognition, retina scan, (lip scan, no tongue please) the staples of sci-fi
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    While I haven't used a lock in quite a long while, I prefer keys. I carry my keys with me everywhere, and I'm likely to forget a combination.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    I prefer keys, never had a combination lock.

Tbh, I really don't know which one I prefer because I never had a combination lock, so it's impossible to know which one is more preferable, although having keys isn't really bad because I can put one of those things that make a sound when it waves and that.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I prefer combination locks for security, ..
    Key seems far more secure to me. But then I'm not in the habit of misplacing my belongings.

Not only can the combination locks be cracked, but somebody could easily just look over your shoulder.

Very much prefer keys. Is very satisfying knowing that you are physically moving steel bolts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer combination locks for security, though the simplicity of a key is nice.
    Combination locks are TERRIBLE for security. Like Cowt said; the lesser ones can be beaten by brute force, and any combination lock is vulnerable to observation. For something like a briefcase or luggage that won't be opened in public much, they're okay, but they're not "more secure" than a key lock. For a locker, they're terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    Ultimately, I like the idea of biometrics. Fingerprints, facial recognition, voice recognition, retina scan, (lip scan, no tongue please) the staples of sci-fi
    Biometrics are also crap for serious security. They'd be okay for something like a gym locker, but not for your home or car or anything else more serious. All they take is physical presence of that particular body part. If you're unconscious, they've got the "key"; if anything, it encourages more personal violence.

Keys are still about as secure as any of those systems. The biggest failing of any security system is and still remains the human factor. That's why if you watch movies or TV, the high-end security is often beaten by something like "stealing a keycard" or "just outright lying to gullible people with authority to bypass".

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Biometrics are also crap for serious security. They'd be okay for something like a gym locker, but not for your home or car or anything else more serious. All they take is physical presence of that particular body part. If you're unconscious, they've got the "key"; if anything, it encourages more personal violence.
    I know, and unless you really spring for the big bucks versions they are easy enough to trick. My husband's ASUS laptop came with facial recognition for the password and his brother (7 years younger) was able to get access because they were similar enough for the program. I was able to get in using a photograph once, but that was never reliable. I had to hold it just right to get the sensor to accept it.

I would never use current biometric systems for real security, I just like the novelty idea. For real security I actually prefer key fobs, the little plastic things that you can press near a sensor and it records data about which fob's serial number was used to open the door, what time, etc. If you lose the fob you can always deactivate that serial number's permission. It's what we use at my office
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

I have a head for numbers so I can remember a combination no problem. If I forgot my keys now I would remember them when my car didn't start, but when I was a kid I never remembered to take them to school, so after the bus dropped me off I would have to jump up to the kitchen window with the broken lock and shimmy in haha... combos all the way ^_^
    What the world needs is Lesshammad.

If you forget the key...

Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer key because I am forgetful about combinations.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Willeonge View Post
    I prefer key because I am forgetful about combinations.
    I prefer combination because I am forgetful about keys.

Seriously every time I leave my house I forget something. Every time. Sometimes it's my wallet, others it's my phone, others it's the thing I was going to deliver.

One time it was my pants.

combination locks are hardly mroe secure. Me and my friends usually troll those in our school by ''hacking'' their locks and writing the code on their locker :3 There is a technique where you can feel if it is the right number if you constantly pull the lock and listen till you get a klick or feel that the lock moves. You do it in this order: bot one, top one, mid one. It is really fun!

I prefer combination because you can't lock your combination in your locker and you can't forget your combination at home.

I trust my ability to keep track of a key far more than i will ever trust a combination lock, there are so many ways to get the code, but if you want the key you need to physically remove it from me (or just break the lock but the same can be said about combination locks anyway).

Used to be combination lock, if it's something I use often; otherwise keys because a lost key is easier to find than a lost combination.

Now I suppose I'll just save the combination on my phone anyway so combination lock all the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize
    I prefer combination because I am forgetful about keys.

Seriously every time I leave my house I forget something. Every time. Sometimes it's my wallet, others it's my phone, others it's the thing I was going to deliver.

One time it was my pants.
    I got one of those belt things to attach my keys to, and it is habit to clip them on. I also know they are there because CLANG CLANG CLANG.
    Last edited by Willeonge; 2012-12-01 at 12:45 AM.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    Combination locks are easy to break.

Doesn't really matter, locks just keep honest people honest. There is no lock that cannot be circumvented by a determined thief.