Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I was depressed when I was younger, and as such I ended up eating very little, and the food I ate wasn't really healthy. The longest I ever went without food was 3 days, at which point I fainted in a store... It was actually in IKEA of all places, so I hate going there now even more than I did before that incident.

But back to the topic... Going 1 day without food won't kill you, and it won't have much of an effect on you as long as you don't exert yourself and you eat properly the next day, other than making you very hungry and maybe feel a little weak.

If you hardly get any exercise though and you also drink alcohol? It's a pretty bad idea.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing wrong with fasting once in a blue moon. But not eating a couple of times a week is extremely unhealthy, especially when you are doing it to drink beer....

Your body needs energy, so if it isn't getting anything through proper channels, it will start consuming body fat and muscle. Your metabolism will also slow down drastically, so then when you decide to eat, the food won't be broken down correctly and you will start getting really fat because your body is trying to hoard what little food it is getting. You will also feel very fatigued because your muscles and organs aren't getting the energy needed to function. Organ failure is never fun.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Deleted
    Maybe like.... Eat? Instead of getting beer? Just a thought...

And nah, it's ok but not healthy to not eat.

beer for the most part can sustain you rather easily, now as a self proclaimed poor student you are most likely drinking piss water for beer, but its beer none the less, over the long term you will start seeing basic nutrient deficiency and the various effects that go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    you do need sugar basic cellular metabolism runs on glucose.
    "Sugar" can be made in the liver by metabolizing stored fats into ketone bodies. The brain, heart, and so on will feed on those as it would on other carbohydrates.

@OP, drink more water than usual, and consider using a good multivitamin. You should be fine.

Fasting is healthy.

It will not kill you to go without for a day every now and then, but a couple times a week? And Throwing large amounts of toxins (your body does treat alcohol as a toxin) at your system when you have already weakened it? That could cause some serious issues down the line.

Deleted
    Well, this thread got me worried. I eat breakfast everyday, but that's like one-two sandviches and two glasses of water, then I mostly skip lunch because our school food is pisspoor. I do eat dinner most of the time, but it's usually something easy as well, such as a sandvich or an ordered pizza. How healthy is that? Like yeah, I understand it's not good but how bad is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    O.O

That is scary, good thing I don't need sugar!

Here, before someone asks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heredit...se_intolerance
    That must be terrible since everything today contains fructose in some form or another.

Deleted
    That's completely normal, as freshman i understand you 100% there were lots of days when i was alive only with coffe
    Everybody should go throught this, it will change when you get better job:}

Fasting one day a week isn't unhealthy at all, as long as your diet the rest of the week has the nutrients you need.

However, beer has carbohydrate calories and so a day with a liquid diet isn't really fasting and a day of calories consisting mostly of carbohydrates isn't very healthy.

i would advise you to reconsider your lifestyle, but you live in a free country(i assume) so you are free to do whatever you want. as long as you drink water youll be fine.

Deleted
    Not eating for a day or 2 won't kill you but it isn't good for you. I do the same from time to time when I am busy or pre-occupied and I simply forget to eat. What you are doing, however, is extremely unhealthy although I can see the reasoning behind it. Maintaining that kind of lifestyle will not end well for you in the long run and I'd advise you to change it.

Deleted
    I don't think you can call 6 hours without food fasting. I usually call that the time between meals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Well, this thread got me worried. I eat breakfast everyday, but that's like one-two sandviches and two glasses of water, then I mostly skip lunch because our school food is pisspoor. I do eat dinner most of the time, but it's usually something easy as well, such as a sandvich or an ordered pizza. How healthy is that? Like yeah, I understand it's not good but how bad is it?
    As long as you feel fine, it will not kill you. You start feeling actual symptoms of starvation way before it can do permanent damage to you.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Deleted
    As an adult not so bad. I've fasted once for poor children in africa only 1 day! i did feel tired though :P but not really shit

15+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people are saying "going without food just burns fat", and this just isn't true. Your body will get energy in a prioritised order: Carbohydrate->protein->fat. Therefore, once your body runs out of carbs it will start turning protein to carbs, ie you start to lose muscle mass.
    I don't know what kind of food you eat when you do eat, but I'd recommend reading up on types of fat and being aware of what kinds of fat your normal diet contain. Furthermore, keeping your carbohydrate intake should be cheap. Buy a big bag of rice, just eating a bowl of rice will be better than just starving your body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesneed View Post
    The Ashpole?

Actually, only eating every other day is a very common form of part-time fasting and it's apparently very good for you because the lack of food makes your cells switch from replication mode to regeneration mode. Regular fasting (if done properly) will prolong your life and keep your cells healthy.

When in "regeneration mode" your body requires less energy so it partly balances out the lack of food. Of couse nobody should try it without consulting a doctor or a knowledgeable dietitian though, and the way the OP does it is definitely not a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Many people here are saying fasting is bad. It's an easy conclusion to jump to, however....

#1 - Decreasing blood sugar is a response to changing the learned habit of eating food at a particular time/a particular number of times a day. Blood sugar (or ketones) will stabilize after a day or so. In addition, low blood sugar is not necessarily bad, because while you will indeed feel sluggish, there is less accumulation of damage by glucose crystals to blood vessel linings

#2 - Imbalanced gut flora/intestinal permeability/sensitivities and pretty much every other major digestive issue is alleviated when not eating food. Not eating food (or not eating a significant amount of food) for short fasting periods (2-5 days) allows better control of bacterial populations by the immune system and can alleviate many health problems as fewer resources are needed to deal with the gut. It also allows the intestines to heal any accumulated damage (complete turnover takes something like 9 days, don't quote me on that though) and remove any accumulated waste.

However, fasting does (temporarily) reduce your metabolism (in the beginning) because your cellular machinery is calibrated to metabolize glucose. This returns to (almost) normal when the machinery required to metabolize ketones is upregulated and/or when fat stores are more completely utilized.

Doing this a lot for long periods of time will obviously lose you most of the benefits (intestines already healed) while increasing stress, and therefore leading to negative results. But is small amounts, it can be very beneficial.
    I should have been more specific. There is hot debate over the medical benefits and drawbacks of fasting, but the fact of the matter is that the body is designed to fast; we do it every single night. I will agree that fasting can effectively rid toxins from the body. There is far too much controversy surrounding the matter to get into it much more though!

Quote Originally Posted by Zorohon View Post
    I will agree that fasting can effectively rid toxins from the body.
    That's just plain nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That's just plain nonsense.

How is this nonsense? Fasting triggers ketosis, and fat is where the body stores a lot of the toxins that it absorbs from the environment.

Like I said this entire topic is controversial, but to dismiss a statement as nonsense with no evidence to back up your point is... well, nonsense.

Also, multivitamins have their place, but by no means should replace a balanced diet..