Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Google Chrome with Adblock Plus, third party prograsm to DL flash videos makes downloading flash videos on infected sites so much easier and not needing to fear clicking hyperlinks / hidden links/overlayed screens on flash sites, Spybot, CCleaner before every nightly-shutdown. MSE removed, Windows firewall gone. Hated them. Been going since 09' without any problems what so ever as far as viruses/worms/trojans/malware go.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been using Avast since pretty much when it came out. It has never failed me.

And to ad. There is a popular qoute that goes around various schools around here. "Nortan Antivirus IS the virus." Unsure what its like for the rest of the world.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amat View Post
    Microsoft Security Essentials, and if you're uncertain on the malware side, Malwarebytes, both free, and really all you need unless you're literally not looking at what you're clicking on.
    What on earth are you talking about? Microsoft Security Essentials gets the lowest scores on every test. It is also targeted by virus-creators more. Like IE are.

I would suggest you to look up different tests and see what program who gets the highest score overall.
    MalwareBytes are a wonderful program.

Quote Originally Posted by alteam View Post
    What on earth are you talking about? Microsoft Security Essentials gets the lowest scores on every test. It is also targeted by virus-creators more. Like IE are.
    Most used, and built-in programs usually are the worst. Why Internet Explorer & Windows gets hacked 10 times more then Linux and Mac. Virus do exist for them, but are a lot rarer and chances are, do a lot less damage, easier to remove too.

I believe AVG has lost it's security #1 spot this last year and a half or so, right? Getting lazy keeping up with virus updates. Avast and McAfee I've been hearing are amazing free programs in the past months. To bad McAfee may collapse soon... http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#...-interview.cnn

10+ Year Old Account
    Anti-virus software remains one of the biggest cons on the computer scene. They simply prey on the technologically non-savvy users and the gullible. I was around when they first started, the virus writers themselves wrote the anti-viruses to try and make money from the scaremongery and it all grew from there.

15+ Year Old Account
    MSE has been fucking awful for the last 10-12 months. Stay away from it.

Deleted
    Get Malwarebytes but pay for it. Its a one off fee gives you realtime protection and its about the best malware killer out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of the ones I've tried (F-Secure, AVG, McAfee, Spyware Doctor, MSE, Norton) the only one that hasn't given me a shitload of issues is MSE. The rest are just screwing around and telling me to do a full search through the PC way more often than necessary (like five-six times a week ><), the ones that were free kept spamming about upgrading too. As well as sending me emails when I clearly told them I didn't want no emails. My personal advice would be to get MSE, and I myself will keep rolling with it until it screws up. But just to be extra safe, and to help boost my PCs performance I am using Advanced SystemCare too.

But really, the best protection is to be more aware of what the hell you're doing online, and not clicking suspicious shit. Instead of entirely relying on antiviruses and firewalls to detect and remove, you shouldn't be getting nasty stuff in the first place!
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

I use

I suggest you go for a free antivirus, there's no good reason to spend $$ to get good protection. I'm using Unthreat Antivirus and it gets the job done. I haven't had a virus since I downloaded it and it doesn't slow down my computer while scanning. I recommend it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Guess I'll be using Avast! at home once I build the new system, then.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    lets not forget nod32, lightweight but very effective.

Deleted
    Malwarebytes FTW.

Newegg had a sale on MalwareBytes for $10 for a lifetime license

So happy I bought it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    this is quite possibly the worst advice i have ever seen, they only bog your computer down if you are using a 10 year old single core cpu, if you think they are the only way data can be leaked you are wrong, windows, flash, and many other programs installed on your computer do this, even wow

the data they use is for updating repositories and troubleshooting

MSE just failed certification

in general malware is all the same, what differentiates a virus, a trojan, and worm, is their function, intent, and modus operandi,

modern AV programs pickup and remove malware, adding extras just causes them to step on their toes

malwarebytes is mainly a scan and remove tool for post infected computers, not a preventative measure

for the most part, the number one AV is safe browsing practices
    after that, Kaspersky or Norton
    I have nothing to add to this post.

If you are cheap and don't want to pay for AV, then it doesn't really matter which program you use, they are more or less all equally good/bad. If you really know what you are doing and keep your programs/plugins up to date, a free Antivirus adds little security, but better than nothing.

From the non-free ones, Kaspersky is probably the best, followed by Norton.
    Programs you should avoid: McAfee, Panda Security and Avira Pro. (McAfee has a somewhat decent detection but is a pain in the ass to handle, and the latter two are no better than free AV programs)
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet