Graphics Card Question(s?)

So I have 2 monitors (23&24 in) and have 2 graphics cards (2 Nvida GTX 460's). I have the option of getting a new graphics card this Christmas and was wondering does having a single 600 series Nvida graphics card beat out having 2 460s, and/or can I use 1 of the 460's with a 600 series? If you need more specifics about my computer please feel free to ask.

I don't think you can SLI with a 4xx and 6xx.
    If the game/application supports SLI, then 460's might perform a little bit better than one 660Ti. But if not, 660Ti or 670 would be a upgrade.

You can use them separately in the same computer.
    Or use one as a PhysX-card.

You can't use both >together<, however.
    And yes, one GTX 680 for instance, is stronger than 2x GTX 460.
    &nbsp;

A single GTX 670 would be faster, more power efficient, less heat production and no stuttering issues since it's a single card.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    more specifics won't hurt , intention of the rig? (resolution of the screens, ultra for any games? what cpu you got?, things like that)
    yes a high end 6xx card will outperform your sli 460's and saves you a room heater

10+ Year Old Account
    I recently upgraded from a 460 to a 660 (Non-ti) and saw very near a double in performance, even going from "Normal" to "Ultra" settings.

460x2= 320
    660 = 140w
    660Ti = 150w
    670 = 170w

The power need on the newer cards so SO much less, that having a single card that does the same or better performance than the two 460s will not only hack off the heat output of your computer, but maybe knock a couple bucks off your power bill too. It'll pay for itself in 11 years!

Seriously though, the power is less, and the performance gains are worth it. More powerful single cards are almost always a better choice than less powerful SLI/xFire. Not only that, but you can recoup some cost by selling those cards.

Got side tracked earlier, thanks for the responses everyone.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 11:31 PM ----------

The intentions for my rig are mainly just gaming I play games like WoW on high/medium settings same for PlanetSide2, would you guys recommend something like this?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130768
    Last edited by Doomninja; 2012-11-29 at 11:39 PM.

While the GTX 680 is good, I'd personally go with an HD 7970 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125413) instead. It will be almost identical to the GTX 680 (beating it in some aspects, losing in others), but it's also $70 cheaper. If you're wanting to stick to Nvidia cards for whatever reason, I'd recommend getting the Gigabyte version of the GTX 680 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125422). It's a little bit more expensive ($20) but the cooler on it is much better than the cooler on the EVGA version. Ultimately though, the GTX 680 is definitely a great card for gaming.
    Last edited by Disconnected; 2012-11-29 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Wrong links

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it's just me, but I personally feel that getting a 680 is a waste of money if you just play WoW on High. I'm pretty sure I use Ultra just fine on a dual monitor setup with a 660.

Upgrading from dual GTX 460 for Wow is in itself a bad idea.
    &nbsp;

Its not just WoW, its most games that I notice that I am having FPS issues, especially while I have something on both monitors, and it doesnt necessarily have to be a 680. Just something stronger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zark View Post
    Its not just WoW, its most games that I notice that I am having FPS issues, especially while I have something on both monitors, and it doesnt necessarily have to be a 680. Just something stronger.
    Thats what I was saying. Dual 460s is pretty solid power. If you're having FPS issues in WoW on Medium with that now, I'd suspect that there's some other issue going on.

I honestly would not go any higher than a 660ti for WoW, any more than that, and you're just throwing away money. If you can afford it, and want to, go for it? But, as an econ major, scarcity is an aspect for even the rich. >.>

I would not call that a worthwhile thing to spend money on from where you're at, since the GTX660 Ti is weaker than a GTX580, if only just, where two GTX460 is stronger.
    &nbsp;