[Priest] Divine Star Hotfix

Hey just wondering with the 40% buff to divine star damage is it better than halo on single target fights? since they are kinda close already as it is.

Deleted
    could someone please check the spell and give some numbers in pvp environment after the hot fix
    thanks

Deleted
    I tried it in pvp but i'm no pro, and didnt like it at all still just hit like a wet fish, but the heal isnt bad but I personaly dont see it worth it compared to the bigger burst with halo. but lately I have been using power infusion and it supriing how much burst you can do with it.
    got it macroed with trinket and shadowfiend"none talented version" and I was testing the burst on my lock friend with 59% resi
    and it killed him through darkregen and healthstone ofc I built up orbs first but i was suprized how much damage it did.
    also power infusion has saved me defensivlly too in but all this in random BG's where shit is random xD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kartmanlol View Post
    Hey just wondering with the 40% buff to divine star damage is it better than halo on single target fights? since they are kinda close already as it is.
    Old DS was less damage per GCD than Mind Flay, so in theory it was a slight dps loss. But ofcourse it's castable on the move and has nice healing if raid is stacked up, so not necessarily a bad choice. With the buff it still doesn't match Halo at optimal range, but we are talking ~1% differences in overall single target dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Berner View Post
    Old DS was less damage per GCD than Mind Flay, so in theory it was a slight dps loss. But ofcourse it's castable on the move and has nice healing if raid is stacked up, so not necessarily a bad choice. With the buff it still doesn't match Halo at optimal range, but we are talking ~1% differences in overall single target dps.
    Which means halo still wins for practicality. Easier aoe, easier healing and the difference is minimal. Decreasing the range on divine star made things worse overall.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Which means halo still wins for practicality. Easier aoe, easier healing and the difference is minimal. Decreasing the range on divine star made things worse overall.
    Not true actually. It depends strongly on the encounter. Halo only wins when you can maintain the perfect distance to the target, on bosses as well as in aoe situations.
    Whenever the raid is stacked close to the boss the star dominates completely - in healing and damage.
    Change talents every boss for best results.

I'm not sure about Shadow but the healing is pretty damn impressive... With only inner fire up it was doing ~26k for me, so 52k when you include the return as well. When I go up to around 30k spell power in raid it'll be really good to use on cooldown when the raid is stacked up.

I suppose that Divine Star was always the "better" option for stacked up healing, but the numbers were just so underwhelming it wasn't even worth the Tome to respec to it from Cascade. Guess it is now.

Well i tried DS on single target, MF still does more damage, so what is the point of using it except for maybe heals ?

Deleted
    For random BG I think halo is much better, alot of the time the group will be spread out and not infront of you.
    Normaly when you use halo it's at the best distance possible for most damage and alot of the time you have melee on your team in that area
    and ive seen it crit heal 200K and can change the tide of battle some times xD

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastor2718 View Post
    Not true actually. It depends strongly on the encounter. Halo only wins when you can maintain the perfect distance to the target, on bosses as well as in aoe situations.
    Whenever the raid is stacked close to the boss the star dominates completely - in healing and damage.
    Change talents every boss for best results.
    I agree on this, I only pvp and i found halo to be fine at arena to track stealthers but the mana cost and the range requirement makes it meh for my playstyle. As a shadow player Devine star is working great it does 20k+20 k= around 40 k healing per use on a 15 sec CD. For my personal Survibility in pvp it's quite good. Idk bout disc/holy tho i dont play healer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by raffie View Post
    Well i tried DS on single target, MF still does more damage, so what is the point of using it except for maybe heals ?
    Divide MF's total damage per cast in two, then compare it to DS's total damage. Which one's higher? DS only takes 1 GCD to do its damage, while MF takes two.
    {[( )]}

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The "range" of the Star wasn't nerfed, the "radius" was, from 6 yards to 4 yards. That's an 8 yard-wide path, versus 12 yards (though the Star still "curves", not sure if that also curves the radius of the effect). You can now cast the Star perfectly between two targets and hit neither of them.

Actually, the "range" of the Star was increased, to over 30 yards. It's got amazing range, damage and healing. It's just a narrower path. Facing will be a big issue. Using a channel like Penance, Mind Flay or Mind sear will force you to face the target (unglyphed) and your Star will be dead-on (apply directly to the forehead).

Edit: I am still trying to figure out exactly what the range is.

Edit2: It does appear to be 40 yards.

Edit3: It appears to be completely bugged currently.
    Last edited by Darkener; 2012-12-02 at 04:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    im not taking halo for its dmg or healing in pvp , im taking it to piss off all the rogues, ferals and other stealthers xD

Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    For random BG I think halo is much better, alot of the time the group will be spread out and not infront of you.
    Normaly when you use halo it's at the best distance possible for most damage and alot of the time you have melee on your team in that area
    and ive seen it crit heal 200K and can change the tide of battle some times xD
    Cascade is a lot better than Halo in BG's. At least rated ones.

OT: DS and Halo were never close. Maybe they are siming close now, but pre-patch DS's DPET wasn't even remotely close to Halo's. The only 2 fights where I've found DS worth using are HC Vizier, because the platforms are actually too small for you to get to optimal Halo range, and HC Terrace Protectors if you're in the part of the raid that's stacking. All the other fights so far, bar Elegon, heavily favor Halo. Especially fights where using your Halo not to dmg, but mostly as a healing tool, will help your raid amazingly, and may even reduce the amount of healers required for the fight. Compare the dmg and healing done by my Halo here, and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by veiledy0; 2012-12-02 at 04:53 AM.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years