10+ Year Old Account

[Talents] I hate level 90 mage talents. Help?

Hey all. I've only been 90 for a couple weeks or so and I've tried all three level 90 talents and they all just suck so badly, I cannot figure out which to use. It seems my choices are:

• Recasting runes all over the place due to movement/mechanics
    • Stopping to cast Evocation constantly
    • Hope I take enough damage to make IW give me an appropriate buff

I havent played anything else at 90 yet, but is this what it's like for all classes on their last tier? It's so annoying to have to stop what you're doing and babysit these spells to do normal dps. Invocation seems like the best choice, but in PvP is not exactly easy to have it up at the right time and in PvE I waste usually 20-30 seconds simply using Evocate where everyone else is dpsing. Any advice?
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey there... Yes in PvP invocation sucks, in PvE its the best choice... I hated it at first and your goal is to use it during downtimes... blink between trash mobs in 5 mans so you can Evo each time... You will get used to keeping the buff up, not using it when your trinkets are proccing etc. It is slightly annoying watching the action for 5-6 seconds while you are evocating. But, I don't see it changing anytime soon. Remember though for your Incanters Ward, you get passive 6% SP if it is not on CD. So if you wanna be super lazy, just spec that and forget about it. But that by NO MEANS is a way to optimize your dps. Invocation all the way for maximizing except in very certain fights. But for 5 mans, do whats comfortable for you.
    Last edited by royals; 2012-12-01 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Grammar iz gud

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by royals View Post
    Hey there... Yes in PvP invocation sucks, in PvE its the best choice... I hated it at first and your goal is to use it during downtimes... blink between trash mobs in 5 mans so you can Evo each time... You will get used to keeping the buff up, not using it when your trinkets are proccing etc. It is slightly annoying watching the action for 5-6 seconds while you are evocating. But, I don't see it changing anytime soon. Remember though for your Incanters Ward, you get passive 6% SP if it is not on CD. So if you wanna be super lazy, just spec that and forget about it. But that by NO MEANS is a way to optimize your dps. Invocation all the way for maximizing except in very certain fights. But for 5 mans, do whats comfortable for you.
    Yeah, I've essentially been doing just that. I like the idea of Invocation a lot. I just wish it was maybe a 4 second base cast instead of 6. There are times when you simply can't telegraph it and it feels so bad to have to move in the middle of one and do subpar dps for 6-8 more seconds and then nothing again for 5-6 seconds. Oh well.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    Hey all. I've only been 90 for a couple weeks or so and I've tried all three level 90 talents and they all just suck so badly, I cannot figure out which to use. It seems my choices are:

• Recasting runes all over the place due to movement/mechanics
    • Stopping to cast Evocation constantly
    • Hope I take enough damage to make IW give me an appropriate buff

I havent played anything else at 90 yet, but is this what it's like for all classes on their last tier? It's so annoying to have to stop what you're doing and babysit these spells to do normal dps. Invocation seems like the best choice, but in PvP is not exactly easy to have it up at the right time and in PvE I waste usually 20-30 seconds simply using Evocate where everyone else is dpsing. Any advice?
    This has been going on since the beta and a lot of mages don't like them either. I blame way too many people for playing fire instead of arcane in 4.3.

To actually answer you somewhat IW is very situational and you generally won't use it in pve so for simplicities sake just ignore it for now. Invocation is usually better than Rune of Power because mop's raids all require movement.

It might feel strange having to stop and evocate a lot but it's all about timing it to boss mechanics and keeping invocation up to give you the +25% spell damage bonus. You will still do good damage/dps despite evocating all the time. It's how mages are balanced atm.

Invocation is quite a good talent imo since it requires good timing and making decisions on the fly while your fighting the boss as you decide when to use it. The entire arcane spec in 4.3 was based around this idea and it's why the rotation was so simple. It's not to everybody's taste though.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmzac View Post
    This has been going on since the beta and a lot of mages don't like them either. I blame way too many people for playing fire instead of arcane in 4.3.

To actually answer you somewhat IW is very situational and you generally won't use it in pve so for simplicities sake just ignore it for now. Invocation is usually better than Rune of Power because mop's raids all require movement.

It might feel strange having to stop and evocate a lot but it's all about timing it to boss mechanics and keeping invocation up to give you the +25% spell damage bonus. You will still do good damage/dps despite evocating all the time. It's how mages are balanced atm.

Invocation is quite a good talent imo since it requires good timing and making decisions on the fly while your fighting the boss as you decide when to use it. The entire arcane spec in 4.3 was based around this idea and it's why the rotation was so simple. It's not to everybody's taste though.
    Well, one thing I like about Invocation is that is gives me a second to take a drink/take a drag and tops me off with a heal when I need it sometimes. That part is a fortunate side effect of the extra length. So at least there's that bright side. I do like using it at the right time and lining it up with boss cooldowns/damage spikes, etc. Guess it's not all bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    The more you evocate the more exciting it is when you get to evocate with haste buffs up. You get so used to spending 5 seconds channeling it that its quite exciting when its only 3.5 seconds.

Because frost mages stack haste they'll always have a quicker evocate than fire. It's one of the benefits of frost
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    Armory

The more you evocate the more exciting it is when you get to evocate with haste buffs up. You get so used to spending 5 seconds channeling it that its quite exciting when its only 3.5 seconds.

Because frost mages stack haste they'll always have a quicker evocate than fire. It's one of the benefits of frost
    There's nothing exciting about a fast evoc... to me it's more like " good the fucking POS spell won't take as god damn long to finish casting so I can ACTUALLY play my class not sit here with a finger in my ass".

They need someone to re-work the 90 talents and make them not shit -_-.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    There's nothing exciting about a fast evoc... to me it's more like " good the fucking POS spell won't take as god damn long to finish casting so I can ACTUALLY play my class not sit here with a finger in my ass".

They need someone to re-work the 90 talents and make them not shit -_-.
    People like you are the exact reason I said:
    I blame way too many people for playing fire instead of arcane in 4.3.
    I was forced from arcane to frost when mop hit and you're complaining about having to evocate a bit...

I know change is hard but invocation is actually quite good. It could use a competitive alternative though.
    Armory