Question Looking for advice on how to melee while healing

Tried to post this the other day, but it seems I somehow accidentally posted it inside another thread. At any rate...

I've had a paladin since WotLK, but MoP is the first time I'm actually focusing on this character and playing as Holy rather than Protection. Since the launch, I've been focusing on simply standing back and healing, pretty much just using Divine Plea for mana regen. In my 10 man, the only time I ever melee for Seal of Insight procs is during the wall phases on Elegon.

When I do try to melee, I typically just right click on the target to begin attacking, but each time I throw out a heal I have to right click the target all over again. This in and of itself is pretty annoying, but also I feel like it's extremely inefficient...I feel like there has to be some way to use macros and a focus target in order to more "automatically" weave some melee hits in between some of my heals. I have moments in a lot of fights that I am not doing anything for maybe 1-2 seconds, where I could melee for more mana, but by the time I get around to targeting and clicking the mob, I need to cast another heal.

I've tried Googling a bunch of different ways, read various HPally guides, but I can't find any sort of guide that talks about how to efficiently do this. Is there some sort of standard way to do this I haven't learned yet? Can anyone give advice here, or possibly just link me a guide I've missed? Thank you!

If you use mouseover macros, you won't lose your current target and thus will continue to auto-attack.

/use [@mouseover, help, nodead, exists] [] Healingspellname

Heal using mouseover macros and add /startattack to all of them, example:

#showtooltip Holy Shock
    /cast [target=mouseover] holy Shock
    /startattack

Conclusion: every time you cast any heal you'll autoattack your nearest hostile target.

A way to learn which heals will reset your swingtimer is by getting something that tracks your actual swing timer. Holy Shock will not reset your swing, so when I'm going for mana, like on add phase of Shek'zeer, I plea, torrent and melee off the add. I'll often use CS during plea to gain HoPo. HS+CS while meleeing to heal is a good way to keep your HPS up while trying to build mana.

The problem with meleeing a boss for mana is that in many encounters, that's impossible due to mechanics that splash range. Feng, Spirit Kings, etc. Any many fights have tough mechanics that require a lot of movement.

The likely problem you were running into however was trying to heal and melee, because of the reset swing timer.