Thumbs up Disc DPS for funsies for heroics only.

HEROICS/LFR ONLY:
    I'm sure disc priest already know this, but I'm shadow only and when I do see disc priest, it's apparent their focus is on healing over DPSing which is how it should be anyways.

However, found the mechanics of disc DPS different and interesting. I decided to mess around in a Heroic and I was pleasantly surprised at 35-50k on recount. Consistently 40k on single target dummy self buffed. I'm a 483 SP but also brought a 496ish SP friend with me and he pulled around 60k-70k using disc spec. Now I queue in as a healer and just DPS and let atonement do the work for me, usually 85% of healing, pre-pull PoM, and Halo/Cascade does the rest. Granted, not a viable DPS spec for raiding, that's why I'd only do it in heroics or be sneaky in LFR. I found mana tough to manage even with mindbender and evangelism but it it was good change using hymn of hope at the right times during boss fights (never use it as shadow) albeit, I'm not spirit geared like a healer. Merely doing this for that wishful thinking that priests would have a holy-based dps spec similar to how they split bear/kitty. This'll do for now. It feels good topping dps meter as a healer, ofc it's heroics and I understand people are usually undergeared, let me bask in my thunder when the DPS whisper "WTF?".

I found it to be an interesting priority rotation. Try it out and add input. I do suggest being geared so you don't wipe group and of course if you're queued as a healer, obviously heal when things get out of hand.

Glyphs: Holy Fire, Smite, Penance

Rotation I use:
    *Mindbender on CD
    *Power Infusion on CD
    -apply and maintain SW:P
    -apply and maintain Holy Fire
    -Smite when HF debuff is up
    -Penance filler when HF debuff is off and HF is on CD
    -Halo/Cascade filler single target when HF debuff is off and HF is on CD
    -Smite filler

*Keep Evangelism at 5 stacks.
    *Halo/Cascade on CD when multiple targets.
    *Refresh SW:P when HF debuff is off to not waste GCD as smite is a priority during the debuff.
    *I cast PW:S on tank prior to pull for haste buff.
    *Glyphed Penance when on the move.
    *Archangel as you see fit as you don't want to wipe the group.

Dude, this actually works really well on a couple heroic 10m fights... and in LFRs... or anywhere really. I have helped kill heroic Spiritbinder and heroic Blade Lord as a Disc DPS (focusing on DPS). I am usually a shadow priest, so learning this alternative playstyle was fun and helpful to progression. Just keep bubbles out for rapture, stack spirit shells with inner focus when big damage is about to go out, and otherwise attonement smart heals are ultra effective especially now that they have a 40 yard range up from 15 yards. I have 10k spirit raid buffed and don't go oom... in a mix of heroic dps gear and healing pieces with spirit... I could slide a few more pieces back to DPS gear I think and still be ok.

Our raid refers to this as a ".5 healer .5 dps" for those fights where 2.5 healers and 7.5 dps is a strong combination.
    Last edited by Burchoid; 2012-12-01 at 07:01 PM.

2-night progression raiding: http://www.fullspectrumguild.com
    Shadow-Raid Blog: http://shadow-raid.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Burchoid View Post
    Our raid refers to this as a ".5 healer .5 dps" for those fights where 2.5 healers and 7.5 dps is a strong combination.
    What about those fights that require tanks?

Tanks 'are' DPS these days.

2-night progression raiding: http://www.fullspectrumguild.com
    Shadow-Raid Blog: http://shadow-raid.blogspot.com/

I smite heal a tonne now that atonement has been buffed to 40 yards in heroic 10 mans. Heroic Elegon is like smite for 6 minutes for me, then PoH spam for 30 seconds for example. Also screw holding penance for only when holy fire buff is down, use it on cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
    Also screw holding penance for only when holy fire buff is down, use it on cooldown.
    ahhh, I didn't do any number crunches as I was just going off self knowledge, SOOO penance > smite when HF debuff is up. I will take your word on it.

Deleted
    I love attonement healing in hc dungeons. Especially since the range got changed to 40 yards. Nice quality of life improvement for those who are too lazy to target the ranged dps(and im one of them ) Also quite nice to think that you as a healer has valuable dps on bosses like spiritbinder, without compromising your healing too much(doesn't require that much healing on normal mode anyways)

Meh, Holy does more dps and holy spells cost no mana. You just fork out for the Shadow school and final tier talent. Means you can roll with DPS gear and DPS forever.

Yeah you don't have atonement as Holy. Just drop Lolwell on bosses and use SoL procs and CoH to heal, easy. If you are healing yeah that takes GCD's you lose dps you might end up breaking even with Disc however it depends entirely on the boss. Plus holy's Mind Sear + Divine Star is brutal and melts trash mobs, therefore your run goes faster.

I play it myself with 484 gear to make dungeons go faster, so I'm not hypothesising.
    Last edited by ultimar235; 2012-12-02 at 05:14 AM.

Holy Priest DPS is competitive with other dps classes.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    Meh, Holy does more dps and holy spells cost no mana. You just fork out for the Shadow school and final tier talent. Means you can roll with DPS gear and DPS forever.

Yeah you don't have atonement as Holy. Just drop Lolwell on bosses and use SoL procs and CoH to heal, easy. If you are healing yeah that takes GCD's you lose dps you might end up breaking even with Disc however it depends entirely on the boss. Plus holy's Mind Sear + Divine Star is brutal and melts trash mobs, therefore your run goes faster.

I play it myself with 484 gear to make dungeons go faster, so I'm not hypothesising.
    Pretty sure even with the Chakra buff the 6 second cooldown penance makes disc at least equal to holy in terms of raw damage. Also ya know, it does 50k HPS at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
    Pretty sure even with the Chakra buff the 6 second cooldown penance makes disc at least equal to holy in terms of raw damage. Also ya know, it does 50k HPS at the same time.
    Chakra Chastise increase damage of ALL Holy/Shadow Spells by 50%, This means SW:P/Halo/Divine/Star/Cascade/SW/Mind Sear. Holy priest also doesn't need to stack spirit at all cause they won't go OOM DPSing, which mean sthye can stack crit and haste. They will still have Lightwell/Divine Hymn as raid CDs

Deleted
    Can someone please post a video on a dummy doing a quick guide for those like myself who have never tried holy / disc dps as it may benefit my raid team me re rolling and attempting this.

I don't know anything about priests, so i have to ask.
    You say it's a good idea with some good gear, not to wipe groups and such, but if the group is capable enough, they surely don't need 50k hps, which is more or less what we have in the raid from our dedicated healers(Less geared than you). So normal HCs should be fine with a lot less gear, or is there some other problems to that?
    How is it for the mana-usage?
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

An ungeared disc priest will run oom if they spam, and if they get an uppity tank that likes to chain pull everything (like me!) they may run into mana issues. There are some points where in my 497 ilvl gearset I have to conserve and be intelligent, although i'm never drinking and I never potion in heroics (granted i'm in my shadowset, so treat it as the amount of regen a 460ish disc priest would have)

Quote Originally Posted by Gande View Post
    An ungeared disc priest will run oom if they spam, and if they get an uppity tank that likes to chain pull everything (like me!) they may run into mana issues. There are some points where in my 497 ilvl gearset I have to conserve and be intelligent, although i'm never drinking and I never potion in heroics (granted i'm in my shadowset, so treat it as the amount of regen a 460ish disc priest would have)
    ;D
    That was why i asked, because i chainpull as much as possible. Mostly running with an awesome priest, that just recently specced holy, but she loves disc(and i loved being healed by disc priests for some undefined reason).
    The thought of having her dps more than the medium dps in the group, on top of her healing sounds like fun for her.
    Also does sound like a nice thing for slower challenge runs. Not sure if the mana can keep up with much dps'ing in there otherwise.
    Surely worth a try ^^
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Jedimindtrx View Post
    ahhh, I didn't do any number crunches as I was just going off self knowledge, SOOO penance > smite when HF debuff is up. I will take your word on it.
    This is true, everything else is still better than smite even with HF on the target, i mean it helps but using other things other than smite is still a better idea.

Also I like solace better than mind bender for disc just because there is the possiblity of going oom when there is no mind bender up and you can solace at will, so you can weave it in when you are low, while still using HF and penance, just instead of smite use solace.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2012-12-03 at 06:07 AM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.