Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Next gen console vs PC

Hey guys ,

I have been doing insane research i know next gen console are not out but they will be out by next year .

And i buying a pc now and i don't want that pc to get absolute when these consoles arrive .

So will gtx 680 + i5 3570 k will be enough to hold me for 3 year at max settings ?

Thanks

I don't know if it will hold 3 years but around 2 years seems reasonable.
    Playing since 2007.

I know gtx 680 is able to handle unreal engine 4 and Agni's Philosophy tech demo at 60 fps

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs...29_575412.html

If next gen console come out they will be costing around 1200 dollars to keep up PC .

And i think xbox 720 or ps4 should cost around 500-700dollar and i wonder how much powerful hardware u can possible get match up with top end pc .

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    I don't know if it will hold 3 years but around 2 years seems reasonable.
    Depends on the games you intend on playing really. You probably won't be able to play games like crysis 3 or similar games that are released with intention of being the best graphics available on a four year old system but it will be very good for the most part
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Deleted
    The next gen consoles will effectively be outdated/under powered hardware compared to the latest PC hardware before they're even launched. But of course that will always be the way, you can't sell a games console with the latest high end hardware at console prices - a balance has to be struck.

As far as the 680 is concerned, I doubt it will hold you at max settings for 3 years although it will make a good effort. Remember that "max settings" on the PC platform is somewhat different to the console arena - it really depends how far each developer decides to push the PC. It's impossible to guarantee any hardware today will be able to run every game at max settings in the next 3 years. A good example is Far Cry 3, this game is certainly designed to really push top end PCs with High and Ultra modes, especially in multi-monitor widescreen configurations. That said, it still looks great even in Low and Medium so again it's really down to personal preference and where your minimum acceptance level lies now and in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    The next gen consoles will effectively be outdated/under powered hardware compared to the latest PC hardware before they're even launched. But of course that will always be the way, you can't sell a games console with the latest high end hardware at console prices - a balance has to be struck.

As far as the 680 is concerned, I doubt it will hold you at max settings for 3 years although it will make a good effort. Remember that "max settings" on the PC platform is somewhat different to the console arena - it really depends how far each developer decides to push the PC. It's impossible to guarantee any hardware today will be able to run every game at max settings in the next 3 years. A good example is Far Cry 3, this game is certainly designed to really push top end PCs with High and Ultra modes, especially in multi-monitor widescreen configurations. That said, it still looks great even in Low and Medium so again it's really down to personal preference and where your minimum acceptance level lies now and in the future.

Thanks for reply and i plan to go sli in future u think my i5 3570k will bottleneck 2x 680 ?

Deleted
    Thanks for reply and i plan to go sli in future u think my i5 3570k will bottleneck 2x 680 ?
    A little tricky to say for sure - some games are more CPU dependent than others. And again, games in the future may become even more so. In theory you could add another GTX 680 without the CPU being the limiting factor in heavily GPU dependent games such as Battlefield 3, CryEngine based games (Crysis, Far Cry, etc) and some/most Unreal Engine 3.x based games, and any other game that's heavily graphics bound.

Generally what happens in the future when a new graphics card series is launched, the price of the old cards doesn't really drop all that much. You'll probably find it's more productive to sell the 680 in the future and upgrade to a 700 series card, instead of buying a 2nd one. Unless of course you can find one on ebay in which case it may prove to be much better value for money. It all depends on many things.

It's a case-by-case thing - honestly can't say for sure
    Last edited by mmocabe77c30e6; 2012-12-01 at 07:50 PM.

Your 3570k will last beyond 3 years. Your video card should really be replaced every 2 years though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to give you an idea, I think i saw somewhere that the next gen consoles have the equivalent of a 5970 or so.

Deleted
    Just to give you an idea, I think i saw somewhere that the next gen consoles have the equivalent of a 5970 or so.
    If that's the case then the latest consoles will be roughly two generations behind the latest PC hardware by the time they launch, I guess.
    Last edited by mmocabe77c30e6; 2012-12-01 at 08:15 PM.

The processor yes, the graphics card... maybe. However it should run on mid setting for about 4 years+ i would say. Only the card I can see been a problem really.

first the 720 and ps4 havent been announced yet and theres typically around a year between announcement and release so at this point the earliest they will be out is early 2014

that said all evidence points to this generation of consoles being a very small jump in tech so graphic wise it wont be huge improvements just little things like more memory better ai physics ect microsoft last ttime they talked about their future console the plans were to have kinect 2.0 prebuilt in every console and sony is in a bit of a bind this generation having lost alot of money on the ps3 and the vita is pretty much doa so they cant afford to bring out a 600$ heavy weight console again this gen. and of course the wiiu is already out and powerwise its about 30-40% stronger then the 360 and ps3 and i dont expect the next gen consoles to be alot more then that powerwise.

so graphically and powerwise the pc will be even more ahead of the console next gen then they are this gen

then comes the exclusives are you a big fan of halo? zelda? or god of war? ect ect every console has atleast a handful of games you cant get somewhere else microsoft is in a bad spot for this since outside of halo and gears of war there arent many exclusives. nintendo has biggest amount of first party titles and sony is a somewhat close.

of course alot of pc games have mods and addons and whatnot that can greatly expand the longevity of a game and most of the time while a pc is expensive to make the games are usually much cheaper.

if you have the money the best way to go is a pc and whichever console has the exclusives you like the most if your a bit strapped for cash i would go pc unless a console has exclusives that you really like.

next gen i plan on going pc and wiiu since in my opinion nintendo is the only one that gives me an experience i truly cant get on another console however i plan on getting a ps3/4 when kingdom hearts 1.5 remix comes out since kingdom hearts is my favorite series. i might also get the next xbox eventually if theres something that catches my eye.

so really thats what it boils down too. are you a graphics man? do exclusives matter a whole lot to you, and do you plan on buying games frequently or do you tend to buy a game only once in awhile and do you have a small budget.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nooty View Post
    Hey guys ,

I have been doing insane research i know next gen console are not out but they will be out by next year .

And i buying a pc now and i don't want that pc to get absolute when these consoles arrive .

So will gtx 680 + i5 3570 k will be enough to hold me for 3 year at max settings ?

Thanks
    There are numerous reasons you should pick PCs over consoles as your primary gaming platform, but graphical fidelity really isn't one of them. You need to be concerned with factors outside simply looking good, because those are why PCs are the better platform.

But, yeah, those should last you a while at high settings. Max? Dunno, but certainly on the higher end and not the lower.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Think you'll be safe...it might not get you max setting for 3 years but next gen consoles won't be much better that max graphics on a high end pc atm.
    The way i've always looked at it is the consoles are reliable no fuss games platforms and any improvement in graphics is down to getting uses to coding for the machine
    PC's are fussy games platforms there may be many reasons a PC wont play a game even though it should ,Fallout 3 for me...after a year of trying numerous things a total clean windows instal worked, but given it's upgradeability will do things consoles can't (like mmo's)

Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    If that's the case then the latest consoles will be roughly two generations behind the latest PC hardware by the time they launch, I guess.
    that's a dualGPU capable of an insane amount of FLOPS.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

I can't speak for the new Playstation/Xbox. But WiiU launched with the 45NM CPU ''Espresso'' from IBM.... over 4 years after Intel released their first 45NM based Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650. Thats about 1480 Days after the technology became available to PC consumers.

PS3 launched November 11 2006 with a 90NM Processing technology. Intels first 90NM Pentium 4 was released February 1st 2004. Just a few months short of 3 years before PS3 was released.

Xbox 360 launched November 22 2005 with a 90NM Processing technologu. A few months under 2 years Intel released their first 90NM CPU as written above.

The Wii also launched with a 90NM CPU December second 2006.

Looking at history, the next PS and Xbox are already outdated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso_(microprocessor) - WiiU CPU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_hardware

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4 - Intel's first 90NM CPU

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfdale_(microprocessor) - Intel's first 45NM CPU
    Last edited by MMKing; 2012-12-01 at 10:03 PM.

Doesn't the XBox360 have something like a GT 7000 series in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Doesn't the XBox360 have something like a GT 7000 series in it?
    Xbox360's GPU is AMD from the x1000 series.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post
    close to ancient performance wise....., don't understand people actually have an interest in such downgraded new games on consoles. (30fps and close to no textures wohoo)
    the only pc performance consoles would get close to is intergrated imo. (an average low end gpu outperforms a console easy)
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-12-01 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post
    About the same age. Regardless, a PoS that belongs in a museum.