Thread: Terrible RPGs

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Terrible RPGs

Hey,

I'm just wondering what other people's thoughts are on the topic of bad RPGs. I have played bad RPGs both in prior knowledge that they weren't great games purely "for the lulz" and I've also played bad RPGs when I actually expected a decent game. Which games do you rate as Terrible RPGs, and why?

For me, the most memorable bad RPG I played was definitely Two Worlds. Maaaan, that game was so awful. After a long gap in decent fantasy RPGs on consoles since Oblivion, me and my friends really looked forward to the release of Two Worlds - it looked awesome. Boy, were we wrong. The gameplay was horrible, combat was clunky, voice acting was hilariously bad and the overall experience was just horrendous. I played that game all the way through, mainly for curiosity's sake, but it never got any better. Saying all that, I enjoyed the time playing it due to it being so funny, so bad it's good I guess.

Old game, but 7th Saga for SNES way back in the day. Don't think it was ever playtested. You pick a hero out of 8 possible heroes and along the way you need to battle a couple of the others as part of the story. Some of them were so brutally difficult it was basically impossible or at the time it felt that way. You had to hope you dodged their attacks and all of yours doublestriked or crit. Random enemies had death spells with >50% chance to hit. Just all kinds of insane crap.

Two worlds was definatly the worst rpg I have ever played although I heard the sequel isnt that bad havnt played it though
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc-...A-wvKAaFacq_gA
    Check out my youtube channel for WoW lore videos and more!

Deleted
    Bad RPG? Hmmm Eternal Ring on the PlayStation 2, in all honesty it wasnt terribly bad it got better, just the music and story could of been better, the gameplay was very much Elder Scrolls, heres a video to show you what I mean, not the worst RPG ive played but I have played better.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Old game, but 7th Saga for SNES way back in the day. Don't think it was ever playtested. You pick a hero out of 8 possible heroes and along the way you need to battle a couple of the others as part of the story. Some of them were so brutally difficult it was basically impossible or at the time it felt that way. You had to hope you dodged their attacks and all of yours doublestriked or crit. Random enemies had death spells with >50% chance to hit. Just all kinds of insane crap.
    7th Saga was incredibly grindy, so if you didn't bother to spend time levelling up way past the point of boredom, fights were indeed impossible. So totally agreed.

My memories of terrible games: Granstream Saga (PSX), Lagoon (SNES), Saga Frontier (PSX), Legend of Legaia (PSX), Shining Force EXA (PS2)

Hrmm... I am sure I have played some but I can't think of any.

It takes a lot for me to call a game terrible though. A lot. For example, I could go into an hours long college professor style rant on certain Final Fantasy games yet I still would not call them terrible or bad. I can easily see and understand why others like them, I would just recommend other games first.

Deleted
    7th Saga was incredibly grindy, so if you didn't bother to spend time levelling up way past the point of boredom, fights were indeed impossible. So totally agreed.

My memories of terrible games: Granstream Saga (PSX), Lagoon (SNES), Saga Frontier (PSX), Legend of Legaia (PSX), Shining Force EXA (PS2)
    Granstream Saga was freaking awesome D: way too short though!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxtroll55 View Post
    Two worlds was definatly the worst rpg I have ever played although I heard the sequel isnt that bad havnt played it though
    I enjoyed Two Worlds 2, haven't played Two Worlds though. Wouldn't recommend Two Worlds 2 to most people though. The game looks and sounds nice but doesn't have too interesting gameplay and the end is one of the worst done endings ever.

Edit: Quoted wrong guy >.<

Most of the recent RPGs are this. I remember back in time, when RPG wasn't even party-based, it wasn't called as RPG. Now if everything which has words "LeveL" and "Experience" automatically gets labeled as RPG.
    Old game, but 7th Saga for SNES way back in the day. Don't think it was ever playtested.
    Actually form what I heard, it was ok for Japan version as it had weaker mobs. It is English version has all that kind of stuff. There is also unwinnable situation with one of bosses if you level up too much (and you need to do so), as he would spam massive 100% heal rendering himself practically invincible.

From old games for me it was always absolutely anything from D&D. They always promoted all kinds of save-scumming and too much caps and restrictions on everything, which was quickly breaking immersion and fun for me. Caps is another story, with low caps (some games like BG1 had max lv at 7) you don't really feel as if you are progressing as level ups are too far in-between and you barely get stronger (especially if you don't save-scum in some games to get Max HP at level-up). Finding "Ring of Protection +1", but wait, you can not equip it, because you have "Amulet of Protection +1" equipped...

Quote Originally Posted by Sigrun33 View Post
    Legend of Legaia was a good game. Had an interesting fighting game/turn-based combat system with a decent story.

Its sequel Legaia 2 on the other hand, was shot, and uninteresting.

I wonder how much people would hate me if I said Final Fantasy...

Well to bad, I despise FF. Maybe just because I have a deep seething hate for most Japanese stuff (minus godzilla) or anime, or JRPG's. I prefer my western stuff.

Okay, I thought of one. Don't know why it didn't come to mind earlier considering how often I pretend it doesn't exist...

Grandia Extreme. The title made me shudder before I even picked it up. While the game isn't the worst, the only good thing I can say about it is the combat system it lifted from the earlier games. And though the plot of the other games were fairly generic they did things in interesting ways and had a charm to them that made them stand out. Extreme is just generic and boring, plus it gets pointlessly muddled towards the end.

It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I decided not to even try Grandia 3, a choice believe to be an apt one since it seemed the only thing praised about it was, again, the combat system.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Okay, I thought of one. Don't know why it didn't come to mind earlier considering how often I pretend it doesn't exist...

Grandia Extreme. The title made me shudder before I even picked it up. While the game isn't the worst, the only good thing I can say about it is the combat system it lifted from the earlier games. And though the plot of the other games were fairly generic they did things in interesting ways and had a charm to them that made them stand out. Extreme is just generic and boring, plus it gets pointlessly muddled towards the end.

It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I decided not to even try Grandia 3, a choice believe to be an apt one since it seemed the only thing praised about it was, again, the combat system.
    Totally agree with this sentiment. Grandia series went downhill after the second one. Star Ocean series suffered pretty much the same fate.

Deleted

Well to bad, I despise FF. Maybe just because I have a deep seething hate for most Japanese stuff (minus godzilla) or anime, or JRPG's. I prefer my western stuff.
    *too bad

also western RPG's are terrible

Please don't play grammar police. Thanks.
    Last edited by Sj; 2012-11-30 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewan View Post

If you hate a game solely because it's Japanese, then you are missing out on a lot of great games. Same thing goes for people who automatically hate Western games. Seems kind of silly.

Secret of Evermore I found pretty bad as well. It was ok and playable, but felt like a crappy port of Secret of Mana, which was one of the best SNES RPGs ever.

Deleted
    If you hate a game solely because it's Japanese, then you are missing out on a lot of great games. Same thing goes for people who automatically hate Western games. Seems kind of silly.
    I can agree to this, I think western RPG's are terrible in comparison with Japanese thats all.

I despise Mass Effect for one, I dont even know why its even considered an RPG
    Last edited by mmocbb3b454b5d; 2012-11-30 at 07:08 PM.

Heh, I loved Two Worlds (hated the second one though).

So terrible RPG's for me:

Two Worlds 2
    Loki
    Numen
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. You know something's wrong when you want Lezard (the kind of villain who'd be a facebook stalker IRL) to win.

I generally only play RPGs I have high hopes for though, and they usually deliver.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really terrible to the point I wouldn't play it ,but I really wasn't to interested in the first Suikoden. Nothing about the game really kept me interested in it and it felt kind of bland.

I am also not a huge fan of Secret of Mana, fun co-op but never really was that into the game when I played it by myself. Terranigma IMO was a far superior same style of game.

One RPG I had really high hopes for and felt greatly disappoint with was the first Hyperdimension Neptunia. Combat was meh and I disliked the fact that there was no real open world between dungeons and how the dungeons themselves were rather bland and uninteresting, I also wasn't a huge fan of the soundtrack. However the main thing that makes me cringe and rage at the same time was the DLC for that game. Two characters join your party but you cant even use them until you buy the DLC? Fuck that. I also hated how they offered free quests but then made you pay for the ability to level pass the level cap to do them. NIS/Compile Heart/Gust games in general have been really overloaded/annoying with their DLC crap this gen but Neptunia was the worse.