Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled up from 85 - 90 as Frost, so I guess I'm used to the rotation. While I'm glad to be back as Frost raiding, I do feel like I'm missing Fire a bit. I'm skeptical on Arcane's lead, perhaps this is true in Terrace for everything but Tsulong. HoF has so much movement or AoE fights, I can't see Arcane leading the pack there, but heck I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.
    I haven't liked Arcane in last couple of xpacs so I hope it isn't true. ha!
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Raided as arcane for the first time since heroic spine tonight, and although I am still a bit rusty on arcane, I was pretty satisfied with the dmg output. over 200k dps on 10H elegon was nice, but stone guards with fire chains was not fun being linked to a warrior

I don't get why people are hating on simcraft for. Yeah that's not how damage looks because certain fights will favor certain classes but it doesn't mean they are wrong.

Anyways mages, For single target stand still fights go Arcane. It's better than frost. For moving around/aoe fights just go frost. Fire is unplayable right now. A lot of people are making fun of mages QQin about the nerfs....they just have to play a fire mage this patch and pre patch to notice the difference. It's so hard to stack ignites atm as Fire with the CM nerf. It went from being the best spec in the game to top 5 worst.

Yes Arcane is boring but Fire is worse now. SPAM FIREBALL hope for a crit, you wont be able to get more than 2 pyros in a row off....if you are VERY VERY lucky you might get 3 with alter time.

Quote Originally Posted by mnzahra View Post
    I don't get why people are hating on simcraft for. Yeah that's not how damage looks because certain fights will favor certain classes but it doesn't mean they are wrong.
    It sort of does mean they are wrong though? We are comparing specs in the real world, not in a sim vacuum. Perhaps that would be the objective merit of each spec (this is assuming they are all modeled with peak accuracy which is unlikely) but that is not the environment that we are talking about.
    When people link Patchwerk sim data to back up a point made about how DPS specs should perform in a real raiding environment people will be understandably annoyed because it will not match up and is therefore fairly irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mnzahra View Post

Anyways mages, For single target stand still fights go Arcane. It's better than frost. For moving around/aoe fights just go frost. Fire is unplayable right now. A lot of people are making fun of mages QQin about the nerfs....they just have to play a fire mage this patch and pre patch to notice the difference. It's so hard to stack ignites atm as Fire with the CM nerf. It went from being the best spec in the game to top 5 worst.

Yes Arcane is boring but Fire is worse now. SPAM FIREBALL hope for a crit, you wont be able to get more than 2 pyros in a row off....if you are VERY VERY lucky you might get 3 with alter time.
    Far from correct, fire is more than playable right now. Chances are your gear or reforging is all wrong for it, or just not high enough.
    I'm currently 23.54% crit unbuffed, and I noticed the loss of crit last night, but it didn't hurt as much as everyone is proclaiming.
    Last edited by KoolKidKaos; 2012-12-04 at 04:09 PM.

Deleted
    Managed a 70k ignite today even after the nerf, however I did have a couple of times where i got no higher then 20k :/ think blizzard took rng too a new level with the nerf, but it still playable and can still top metres if everything goes the way you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatlewts View Post
    Managed a 70k ignite today even after the nerf, however I did have a couple of times where i got no higher then 20k :/ think blizzard took rng too a new level with the nerf, but it still playable and can still top meters if everything goes the way you want.
    That's my main issue currently. It's still competitive if you play well (you won't be topping the meters anymore unless the other people in your raids aren't that good), however the RNG makes the spec incredibly frustrating. I've had fights where I was still able to get 40-50k combusts when I needed them, and other fights where I wouldn't see an ignite above 25k for a minute or two. I'd rather switch frost or arcane where my skill with the spec translates well into the dps put out, than continue to pray that the RNG gods don't screw me over again.

On a side note, those of you who call us FotM mages obviously don't raid in a top raiding guild. As a pure dps class, you play the spec that gives you the most dps for the fight, or the most utility for the fight, regardless of personal preference. Any top raiding guild would never allow a mage to play arcane on H Stone Guard during progression, when fire does twice the damage. You're just doing a disservice to the raid. Once you outgear fights and can easily make enrage timers, feel free to play sub-optimal specs. To those who say "I'd never join a raiding guild who made me play a certain spec just b/c it does more dps", i can tell you that those guilds would not want you in the first place. It's nothing personal, just how the heroic-progression raiding guild mindset works.

Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    Umm, no. That means 40 % fewer pyroblasts. If for 100 casts you used to get 20 pyros, now you get 14. That's not a 6 % nerf, that's a 40 % nerf.

Thanks to Inferno Blast the math doesn't quite work out like that so it's not a 40 % nerf but it's still pretty bad, especially for the fun factor and RNG. You can now again for a minute doing nothing else in the fight besides spamming fireball and refreshing your dot spell.
    I see the reasoning and I agree, however you over estimate by 10%. 6 is 30 % of 20 not 40%. And yes with inferno blasts it greatly reduces that 30%. In the log I originally linked out of the 41 pyro blasts he got, 25, were generated by inferno blasts. Leaving 16 generated by procs. 30% of the 16 procs is 5, up from the 3 I originally estimated. This means with the recent fire changes on this parse he would have lost 12% pyroblasts. Double what I originally guessed, but WAY off from the 40% figure you just threw out.
    Last edited by Gilthandir; 2012-12-05 at 04:26 AM.

I honestly hope they change fire back...at least the crit multiplier, if nothing changes im definitely gonna be quitting my mage because i just ran a raid and its ridiculous you can barely get 2 crits in a row...forgot about getting a good ignite ever !! and on top of that combustion is cut in half FML....Sincerely Every damn fire mage in the game

I'm playing Arcane right now. Currently ranking alot so my confidence is up (Even though it doesnt really matter since most people havent played it yet.) Surprisingly I'm having a ton of fun. Really enjoying it.

Ok, anecdote time. I played Frost since expansion launch and was putting decent numbers for my gear. Last week I decided to go Fire and give it a try. Holy cow I was blowing up stuff left and right, my dps went through the roof. 3 days later the big nerf kicked in, boo. So, today I went back to raiding as Frost, I did decent numbers again but couldn't get to the fire numbers (close on Feng and on Spirit Kings) even though I have better gear than a week ago.

My question is, now that there has been some time since the nerf, do we have any better idea on how severe the Fire nerf was?
    Last edited by scuac; 2012-12-05 at 05:27 AM.