Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Probably Getting Guild Wars 2 Soon. Helpful tips?

I have Guild Wars 2 on my list for Christmas. My mom said she went looking for what I pointed out. (She thought I pointed out epic mickey, so I gave her that "Really." stare. She caught on and returned it) So, Assuming I'm getting it for Christmas, anything I should be ready to know?

I play a Death Knight on WoW, but I do like the "Melt your face, while having self heals".

I know this much so far:
    Every class can do every role.
    There isnt really "factions".
    World vs. World looks fun.

So any helpful tips on things I should know?

Kill stuff, don't die.
    Seriously though, just learn how to dodge and keep moving. Remember that you can cast everything while moving and get out of that "stop to fireball" mindset WoW put you in. Other people are your friends . . . they cannot steal your kills, resource nodes, or street cred--- everything is shared.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Kill stuff, don't die.
    Seriously though, just learn how to dodge and keep moving. Remember that you can cast everything while moving and get out of that "stop to fireball" mindset WoW put you in. Other people are your friends . . . they cannot steal your kills, resource nodes, or street cred--- everything is shared.
    Helpful. 10/10.

Other things though, such as classes? I'd really like to get some ranged in, but be a heavy melee when they get close. The ability to escape if things get bad can be useful too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbathed View Post
    Helpful. 10/10.

Other things though, such as classes? I'd really like to get some ranged in, but be a heavy melee when they get close. The ability to escape if things get bad can be useful too.
    Every proffesion can fit any role in a differn't way.

Ex mesmer support is granting boons and removing conditions with the occasional CC. While elementalist can directly heal and give boons. A guardian can heal and provide protection area of effects like domes and walls.

If you really want to melt peoples faces, a theif is what you want and going dagger dagger and bleed damage (you can get 25 stacks of bleeds with it) and they have a shortbow for some powerful minor range.

If you want the closest thing to a death knight you want necromancer as they have varying chills (ice) and death magic.

My mom said she went looking for what I pointed out. (She thought I pointed out epic mickey, so I gave her that "Really." stare. She caught on and returned it)
    llol

Deleted
    My first tip is to NOT give into temptation and buy Unidentified Dyes. I managed to get around 330 approximately before I realised how much I had spent and rarely will you get a good dye for resale.

I leveled a mesmer primarily and getting out of combat wasn't very hard for me as I can cast illusions which tank while I run far away enough to lose aggro when the clone dies off. Guardians are also quite good imo.

Deleted
    1. Engineer, pistol and shield. Then you can block and throw your shield in peoples faces like Captain America. Or Just go Guardian and become a walking, talking redoubt.

2. Left crafting early on, you will get a great boost to leveling, make some interesting gear in the process and empty your bags of all those yucky mats you pick up on the way to level 10.

3. WVW as soon as you can, it gives a ton of xp, also remember to equip gathering tools (pick axe, axe and scythe), once you control a zone you can gather mats from the nodes there. Also learn to res fallen comrades, this will give you karma points later on which unlocks interesting gear options.

4. Don't be tempted to buy weapons or items from Auction House/ Black Lion till 30+

5. Enjoy your personal story

Thats all i can give you really.
    Last edited by mmoc08d8fa41d7; 2012-12-02 at 01:14 PM.

Deleted
    If you want to know what to expect from a profession (class) at 80 go to the mists via the pvp panel and you'll be able to check out all traits and skills on an 80 toon in any and all setups possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hit the gear icon on your bag to send all mats in your bags to your bank - Deposit to Collectibles.

Use Basic Salvage Kits to salvage all white items. At low levels, check the price of any blues or greens you won't be using. Remember there is a 10% take on the Trading Post + a 5% listing fee, so factor that in.

If you find any Half-Eaten weapons they have extraordinarily good stats for lower levels (good for WvW at low levels). Sell if you want to make gold or wear if you want to cut it up in WvW.

http://www.gw2db.com/search?search=half+eaten

Think of Renown Hearts like bread crumb quests. They lead you into an area but it's the Dynamic Events that unfold after you are there that is the real meat of the game.

Look behind waterfalls and bushes. Whole zones and areas open up!

Try all the different weapon combinations for your profession. My staff elementalist plays completely different than Dagger/Dagger.
    Valar morghulis

- Combat is very twitch based. Dodging, kiting and using CC at just the right time is the basis of all combat.

- Don't spend a lot of money on anything before level 80.

- Sell all gathering materials on the way to level 80. Don't bother with crafting directly.

- Never pay for waypoints directly if possible. Always travel to the Mists, then to Lion's Arch then to a specific city connected to a map.

- Almost all of level 80 gameplay is based around gold/karma/badge farming. Save up only for the stats/equips you want at level 80.

- When shopping in the Auction House always use custom buy orders. Do not buy anything directly, ever. Have patience.

- Deposit most of your money in the bank. If you die, rez costs are free [or low cost] if you have little to no gold in your pockets.

- At low levels it is cheaper to buy new equipment rather than repair equip. Wear items till they literally break- only then do you buy no equipment. FOR KARMA, never gold.

- Item levels don't mean jack for the most part. It's possible to complete most content in mundane green gear found along the way. Don't waste money.

- The storage system is not cost effective. NEVER buy extra bank slots for gems or per character backpack slots. It is more cost effective to buy a whole character slot and outfit those alts with AH bought bags as your "bank".

- Only buy basic salvage kits and salvage all white gear. Vendor blues, Ah greens and above.

- Auto attack is your best attack in the majority of circumstances. That GW2 calls their default #1 key auto attack is akin to a MOBA's auto attack- its about maximizing the application of damage with that basic attack. Let go of the assumption that auto attack works in GW2 the same as World of Warcraft, for example.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-12-02 at 10:18 PM.

Fencers gives good advice. One thing I might add is that on selling items, especially greens, look on the tradepost prices for each green. You'll find most of the time they are selling right at vendor cost. In those cases it's better just to vendor those greens. There will be some exceptions though.

Deleted
    Take your time playing, there is no gear treadmill at lvl80, so if you rush to lvl80 you will just ruin your game experience. Listen NPCs stories and wait a bit when event ends. Usually there is continuation event.

If you just run from event to event and heart to heart you will miss the map story and just see randoms events without connections. Here is nice video showing how events actually connect to each other.

And from here you can find guides for everything and more if you are willing to read:
    - Arenanet's own guide: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/manual/
    - Collection of guides, may be overwhelming at start: http://guildwars2hub.com/guides
    Last edited by mmoce60d2079f6; 2012-12-02 at 11:05 PM.

- Don't spend a lot of money on anything before level 80.

- Sell all gathering materials on the way to level 80. Don't bother with crafting directly.

- Never pay for waypoints directly if possible. Always travel to the Mists, then to Lion's Arch then to a specific city connected to a map.

- Almost all of level 80 gameplay is based around gold/karma/badge farming. Save up only for the stats/equips you want
    reading this couldn't stop but thinking the advertisement that said that the endgame start at level 1 and you don't need to get to 80 to start the real game I guess that leveling process will always be something that players will not give lot of attention to...saving for the max level was always the way to go and gw2 couldn't change that too
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Well it's just one way of doing things. What Fencers said there is only if you want enough resources (gold and karma) to buy your equipment as soon as you hit level 80. Personally I just used up karma and gold whenever I felt like using it, it doesn't make that much of a difference except time.

If you can play with friends, best 200 hours of gaming for me. Cant give any in game tips that have not been given. Anyone telling you that there is no grind is wrong. The gear you buy is out right better then the easy to get gear (which it i remember it was never meant to be). Always have a full 5 man for dungeons , and don't expect a good dungeon experience in this game yet, they have a long way to go (but have the potential to be so so good)

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    reading this couldn't stop but thinking the advertisement that said that the endgame start at level 1 and you don't need to get to 80 to start the real game I guess that leveling process will always be something that players will not give lot of attention to...saving for the max level was always the way to go and gw2 couldn't change that too
    Saving up money for the high cost of level 80 expenditures isn't really endgame or related to endgame.

Also that's not what "the endgame begins at level 1" tag meant. It was meant to express gameplay wasn't bimodal in Guild Wars 2. Which was true of all 5 of the Guild Wars games until last month.

-Try not to get too focused on the stats of items, especially at level 80. Skill is far more important in this game, and trying to theorycraft your way to peak stat performance isn't going to do you much good if you aren't properly dodging and otherwise keeping yourself alive.

-Just run out and play the game. Stuff is happening whether you're there or not. You're likely to find events just by stumbling upon them. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, Renown Hearts are good places to go at first, but events will pop up left and right after (or even before) you get there.

-Find a class that you feel is the most fun. If at first a class doesn't seem to cater to your likes, try out a different weapon setup. You'd be surprised at just how much a class's playstyle can change when you use a different weapon.

Shameless plug: I wrote up a couple reference guides for the warrior class on these forums. Check 'em out if you're interested:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ion-Playstyles
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...it-Build-Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Saving up money for the high cost of level 80 expenditures isn't really endgame or related to endgame.

Also that's not what "the endgame begins at level 1" tag meant. It was meant to express gameplay wasn't bimodal in Guild Wars 2. Which was true of all 5 of the Guild Wars games until last month.
    regardless if it is or not endgame, which I agree with you is not, having in mind to "save" for the max level making leveling just an unworthy time loss until you start "spend" to build your character. Of course this is how I see/feel it.I may be wrong though
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    - The storage system is not cost effective. NEVER buy extra bank slots for gems or per character backpack slots. It is more cost effective to buy a whole character slot and outfit those alts with AH bought bags as your "bank".
    Fencers offers some great advice but the hitch is that multiple characters CANNOT email each other - no 'mailing crap to your alt'. You *have* to have a friend to bounce mails off. The shared-across-all-toons bank space is handy, but the upshot is that you have (effectively) 1/5 the bank space per toon compared to other games. (Well, all your crafting mats can be sent automagically to your crafting bank, so that lightens the bank need somewhat, but still....bank space is tight, and making alts your mules is USEFUL, but getting the stuff back and forth is clumsy.)
    -Styopa

Yeah, if I was to advice on what to buy it would be bank space. You can purchase it with in game gold (gold to gems, use gems to buy bank space) as well.

Make sure to have friends whom also play otherwise it is just a grindy MMO.

I did not enjoy it, heck I would give my account away if I could. Everyone that I came across was always doing their own thing, teamwork only really occurred to kill bosses in world events and then afterwards everyone would depart and again be on their own way saying very little.

Not to say that it isn't an enjoyable game in some ways, but isn't for everyone.