Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I hate to say it but overclocking shouldn't be done if you're not entirely sure what you're doing. It has become a lot easier since the sandy bridge was released, but it shouldn't be done without knowing what you're doing.

Overclocking can result in a very unstable system. Especially the way you are doing it right now. You can NOT just up the multiplier, because your CPU will need more power to keep that up, if you don't give it that extra voltage you'll get a lot of random reboots / shutdowns / bluescreens.

Also you ask for a stup by step guide. There is none for overclocking, it depends on the motherboard, every BIOS is different aswell, if you don't have sufficient cooling you can do a lot of harm to your processor / mobo.

I could help you, but I want to know, what do you need the overclock for?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalosaurus View Post
    I hate to say it but overclocking shouldn't be done if you're not entirely sure what you're doing. It has become a lot easier since the sandy bridge was released, but it shouldn't be done without knowing what you're doing.

Overclocking can result in a very unstable system. Especially the way you are doing it right now. You can NOT just up the multiplier, because your CPU will need more power to keep that up, if you don't give it that extra voltage you'll get a lot of random reboots / shutdowns / bluescreens.

Also you ask for a stup by step guide. There is none for overclocking, it depends on the motherboard, every BIOS is different aswell, if you don't have sufficient cooling you can do a lot of harm to your processor / mobo.

No offense but it's bullshit what you're saying. This is rather trying to understand the interface.

I've overclocked s775 platforms (Q9550 to 4.4G) with every voltage tweaked manually, nothing auto shit. When I've upgraded to Sandy Bridge I was clueless on a lot of options my motherboard had. Google time so. After a few minutes a 5GHz immediately :P I'm running it atm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalosaurus View Post

Well obviously overclocking is not NEEDED for anything, but I am overclocking to play RIFT and other games.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 04:09 PM ----------

The overclock is still not going through when I boot and run Core Temp / CPU-Z. Could I get any help?

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    Well obviously overclocking is not NEEDED for anything, but I am overclocking to play RIFT and other games.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 04:09 PM ----------

The overclock is still not going through when I boot and run Core Temp / CPU-Z. Could I get any help?
    Well just take this guy's settings over http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2BUrQTxaE @ 4:46

Take a lower multiplier and use lower voltage than he did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Well just take this guy's settings over http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2BUrQTxaE @ 4:46

Take a lower multiplier and use lower voltage than he did.
    I looked at that video, and my BIOS does NOT show many of the options he has. For example, I do not have the Vdroop option, or the CPU Core OCP Expander. What should I do to fix this?

I looked at that video, and my BIOS does NOT show many of the options he has. For example, I do not have the Vdroop option, or the CPU Core OCP Expander. What should I do to fix this?
    You forced me to look in your mb's manual lol.

"Enhanced Turbo
    Ths feature was sgnficantly enhanced on the CPU by allowng for speed to be
    ncreased to maxmum frequency of Intel Turbo Boost for all CPU cores"

Right. Try to disable enhanced turbo.

If it's still not working, try to enable.

10+ Year Old Account
    YAY nevermind. It works now. Thank you all very much!

YAY nevermind. It works now. Thank you all very much!
    How did you fix it? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    How did you fix it? :P
    I knew there was like only one option that was messing up this thing. I disabled Enhanced Turbo and it booted with the correct multiplier. Time to stress test w/ Prime 95!

I had one problem though. . . My CPU is running at above 1.3 volts and in the BIOS there is no option to decrease the volts, only to +.00, +.02, +.04, etc. Is it maybe just the MoBo I got, and there is no option to reduce the voltage?

In the BIOS it's at ~1.208V, but in Windows 7 it goes near or above 1.3V.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 04:44 PM ----------

It is clocked at 4.2GHz right now, and is sadly overvolted. I cannot redue it in the BIOS which is making me angry. The average max temp I am encountering while at 100% load in Prime 95 is ~69C. I know that if I COULD reduce the voltage to ~1.15V-1.2V the temp would drop a lot.

Edit: I am running the Prime95 Blend Test.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 04:51 PM ----------

I have run the Blend Test for about 10 minutes now. Do I run the Blend Test for ~ 4 hours to see volts/temps/etc? Or do I run one of the other tests in Prime95?
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2012-12-02 at 09:47 PM.

I knew there was like only one option that was messing up this thing. I disabled Enhanced Turbo and it booted with the correct multiplier. Time to stress test w/ Prime 95!

I had one problem though. . . My CPU is running at above 1.3 volts and in the BIOS there is no option to decrease the volts, only to +.00, +.02, +.04, etc. Is it maybe just the MoBo I got, and there is no option to reduce the voltage?

In the BIOS it's at ~1.208V, but in Windows 7 it goes near or above 1.3V.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 04:44 PM ----------

It is clocked at 4.2GHz right now, and is sadly overvolted. I cannot redue it in the BIOS which is making me angry. The average max temp I am encountering while at 100% load in Prime 95 is ~69C. I know that if I COULD reduce the voltage to ~1.15V-1.2V the temp would drop a lot.

Edit: I am running the Prime95 Blend Test.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 04:51 PM ----------

I have run the Blend Test for about 10 minutes now. Do I run the Blend Test for ~ 4 hours to see volts/temps/etc? Or do I run one of the other tests in Prime95?
    Hey, seems like I knew it already, my last previous post.

SB's shouldn't be tested in blend mode because blend mode tortures the ram as well. Small FFT's should be the mode.

Stresstesting SB's is pointless, you rather just sit and wait to get a bsod 0x0000124 which always happens and means you have to up the vcore. Also I recommend you to disable all the C-states & Intel speedstep off and if there's an option like EIST disable it as well. So you have your full OC all the time @ 4.2GHz and ready to get Bluescreened.

Edit: A major big advise I can give you is this. Make sure the Vcore is exactly the same in CPU-z as you set in bios. So if you set it to 1.2V for example, you want a 1.2V in CPU-z. But lets get later on this..
    This is called Load line Calibration, so you set 1.2Vcore in bios and you get 1.2Vcore in cpu-z. But you get an overvolt situation because the LLC isn't editable in your bios.

Did you try to reduce the Vcore voltage with the - and + buttons on your keyboard?

In short words, this motherboard is just a bad clocker because no LLC is available. When I had the s775 platform, I dumped my gigabyte motherboard with an Asus which just because the Gigabyte motherboard didn't allow me to change the LLC.

What are your temps btw?

Change the voltage selection mode to "manual" from "offset".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Change the voltage selection mode to "manual" from "offset".
    I do not know if this board has that option. Under where would I find it?

Edit: I am running an Ivy Bridge, not a Sandy Bridge. Also: My temps with the blend test while I was running it was MAXING at ~70C.
    Last edited by Klutzington; 2012-12-03 at 12:18 AM.

I do not know if this board had that option. Under where would I find it?

Edit: I am running an Ivy Bridge, not a Sandy Bridge. Also: My temps with the blend test while I was running it was MAXING at ~70C.
    You would probably find it on the same page of the BIOS that you changed the multiplier on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    You would probably find it on the same page of the BIOS that you changed the multiplier on.
    My board does not have that option.

My board does not have that option.
    Instead of trying to lower it, just go for a higher multiplier now. Increase it step by step.

Question: does your CPU voltage in cpu-z fluactate between idle & full load? Yes, tell me how much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of trying to lower it, just go for a higher multiplier now. Increase it step by step.

Question: does your CPU voltage in cpu-z fluactate between idle & full load? Yes, tell me how much.
    Yes it fluctuates. This is odd and counter-intuitive, but my idle voltage use is 1.304V and it actually drops to 1.232V under 100% load.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 08:08 PM ----------

I increased the clock to 4.4GHz, and the idle voltage is now at 1.32V and the 100% load voltage is at 1.232 - 1.24V. It fluctuates between 1.232 and 1.24.

That is what Load Line Calibration (LLC) is for. To stabilize the voltage on the CPU when the load changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just increased the clock to 4.5GHz (45 multiplier) and my computer froze on boot. Does this mean I can keep it at a 44 multiplier (4.4GHz) or do you guys suggest keeping it down at 4.2GHz (42 multiplier)?

I just increased the clock to 4.5GHz (45 multiplier) and my computer froze on boot. Does this mean I can keep it at a 44 multiplier (4.4GHz) or do you guys suggest keeping it down at 4.2GHz (42 multiplier)?
    Keep it at 44 and just wait till your pc freezes or bsod's then you can lower to 43.

You can either increase the voltage until it boots, or knock the multiplier down a notch. The computer will probably 0x124 bluescreen if you run P95 at 44 multiplier with that voltage though.