Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I play female characters, and I blame my sister for dressing me up like a girl when I was little.

All my characters are male but if ever made an Undead, it would be a female. I love their casting animation.
    Ashr

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    Have you ever played Tomb Raider? How about Metroid? Final Fantasy X-2? Portal? BloodRayne? Bayonetta?

Are any of those creepy?
    if you have the choice to be a man or a woman and you choose a woman then theres something wrong with you, so if you are a dude what is the reasoning behind you wanting to be represented by a chick in a game? are you gay, do you want to be treated better or idk you tell me whats the reason?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds more that it seems odd to you because maybe somewhere inside you're feeling a little passively homophobic about your friend playing a girl toon and it might reflect back on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
    I'm perplexed. He was trying to be macho with his statement and yet how ironic is it that as a female toon he is likely to get hit on and flirted with by other males.....but maybe I am wrong?
    Define "likely"

Ive been playing female blood elf for about 3 years, (started as a horde paladin before tauren could be paladin without rolling gay blood elf, now im so used to having arcane torrent i got a big problem playing anything else)

I really don't get it, ive never seen ANYBODY flirt with random people on wow...

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 09:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MaxJr View Post
    if you have the choice to be a man or a woman and you choose a woman then theres something wrong with you, so if you are a dude what is the reasoning behind you wanting to be represented by a chick in a game? are you gay, do you want to be treated better or idk you tell me whats the reason?
    No, im not gay!
    Which is why i would rather be represented by a chick than a gayelf
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

"I don't want to stare at a dudes ass" is just a cover story. He chose what he wanted for a reason. Just let him be. There is nothing wrong with playing a character of the opposite sex.

I'm all for people playing whatever role feels right to them, and multiple roles on multiple toons of course.

I guess I need to ask my friend if he is comfortable with people 'interpreting' him as female within the game.
    I honestly think he'd be put off by that idea, and I should explain it to him.

(there's nothing wrong with playing whatever role/gender feels right to you, of course.)

The guy is just totally new to MMO's and the social side of it all...and I'm trying to guide him a bit. :P

I simply play whatever race/gender looks the best to me or has the best casting animations. For me, that happens to almost always be female characters with the exception of tauren and undead (I like both genders of those races) I've been playing since release and I have only been hit on maybe once or twice that I remember. Most people correctly assume that I'm a guy.

I also think people are going to assume at first that a female character with a female name is a female IRL.
    I wonder how many people actually do this. By default I just try not to think of gender. I once landed myself in some hot water with a guildie after assuming they were male due to playing a male character.

I then realised trying to guess gender on the character is ultimately pointless as people can choose the gender for a variety of reasons. Personally a few of mine was female simply because they had better animations than the alternatives in my opinion.

You know, for a kitten that shits rainbows, you seem to like to stay inside the box.

A little more context,
    this guy is used to playing consoles on single player.

Wow is a whole huge alive thing by comparison.
    I wouldn't read into this whole thread so far as to suggest homophobia or anything...

I guess he needs to be told that maybe, just maybe, his old choices of 'pick the hottest chick' to play everytime, probably isn't going to translate well into an MMO with other real players.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I played I just preferred the aesthetic of most female races to be better.

My main was a male undead mage. I had a hunter, rogue, and a lock that were female BE. I had a name that I liked and more often than not I would pick which race/sex I felt fit it better. I came up with a better name for my lock so I changed it's name to Fearoshima and made it a goblin male. Some names just fit a certain sex better to me.

On a side note I would never be a female tauren, troll or orc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    I pretty much exclusively play female characters in game, though I'm a male myself.
    Mostly because the whole "Big muscly guy with a sword wins all the babes and kills the dragon" cliche'.
    Female Barbarians/warriors? Yes please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of my toons in the past have been Female. Not once have I been hit on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    When I played I just preferred the aesthetic of most female races to be better.

My main was a male undead mage. I had a hunter, rogue, and a lock that were female BE. I had a name that I liked and more often than not I would pick which race/sex I felt fit it better. I came up with a better name for my lock so I changed it's name to Fearoshima and made it a goblin male. Some names just fit a certain sex better to me.

On a side note I would never be a female tauren, troll or orc.
    HA! Hows that for coincidence, I just made a lock named Fearoshima just the other day xD

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you! Someone who gets it.
    Its his reasoning that's so weird to me.
    His reasoning may be pervy but your counter-reasoning is a little on the immature side as well. Your lady friend is correct in that the chances of your friend getting hit on by some confused sap are quite slim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    No, im not gay!
    Which is why i would rather be represented by a chick than a gayelf
    Blood elven males aren't gay.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I used to play... Not once from vanilla to mid cataclysm did I pick a female character, why? Because this is how I see it... Blizzard wants YOU to be the adventurer... and I being a male decided to pick a male character... Wouldn't make sense being a female when I'm a male.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably has something to do with all the male models looking shit.

face textures are very old, low resolution. Simply put, female character models are just visually more appealing to some people.

The reason why I played a Male Blood Elf for a long time was that armor just looked good on them, and they happened to be the only male race in the game besides trolls, who were not growing tumors in their arms or legs. They simply just looked the most human.

The only reason I'm human right now is because EMFH is still retarded and someone else paid for my transfers.

So yeah, its kinda pervy reasoning, and an odd thing to be concerned with when you pick a character.
    whatever helps you cope with the tragedy of your friend playing a female blood elf

i remember someone once said in trade that if you played a male blood elf, that you knew what semen tasted like. I don't get the hate lol, I don't even think that most people who play a male blood elf even know half of their jokes.

I mostly play female toons (I'm a woman), but I do have one male toon. I just like how gear looks on the ladies, and I like their animations and such. To be honest, I've only been hit on a handful of times while playing a female character. I wouldn't worry so much about your friend; I think he'll be fine. If he gets hit on, he can choose to ignore it, like I do. I literally got someone whispering me in Goldshire asking me to be their wife (and I don't play on an RP server). I just logged out, since I was only getting mail on that toon anyway, and that was that. It's not strange to play the opposite gender. You play what you like I'm sure male toons get hit on as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    No, they're metrosexual..

On topic: I'm a male, and play only female characters when ever there is a chance to choose the sex. Not only in WoW but also Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc. I just don't feel like playing the muscular macho dude when there is a chance to roll a more elegant and sexy thing. In case of an in-game relationship in ME or DA, I follow my own sexuality though, and hit on the girl NPCs. Don't feel like hitting on the male NPCs even playing female character.

I find your way of thinking that female characters with female names would somehow mean that the player behind the character would be female just really odd. Also taking it even further, and actually hitting on them is something even more unbelievable. Tbh I do find hitting on people in game kind of weird to begin with, unless you've been somehow dealing with them prior (ie. raiding with them, and actually got to know the person behind the character).