Zen meditation damage cap

Anyone else noticing this now? I usually pop it to soak massive damage for vengeance but it's cancelling about 50% of the way through without me being the victim of a melee attack. Blade lord heroic enrage(I managed to deathtouch him as the last person alive), 2nd boss in Scarlet halls/2nd Boss in Shado-pan's channeled fist cone. Or maybe it always had a cap and I'm just crazy?
    Last edited by Valsh; 2012-12-02 at 10:24 PM.

Deleted
    dont think theres any cap unless they have hotfixed it, was able to soak garalons and elegons berserk 1shot ability when my guild was strugling with the dps

Deleted
    I noticed it cancelling on Lei Shi when I was tanking, I got raped because it cancelled with 3-4 seconds left and the other tank couldn't taunt in time. The adds weren't up and the boss does not melee so there should be no reason for it not to run full duration.

It was working fine for me during Lei Shi, took stacks 12->18~ with it up
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

15+ Year Old Account
    Cancels for me constantly on Lei Shi about halfway through.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Reduces all damage taken by 90% and redirects to you up to 5 harmful spells cast against party and raid members within 30 yards. Lasts 8 sec.

I know - it shocked me too

It actually works on Lei Shi's Spray ability

Quote Originally Posted by Larrabee View Post
    Reduces all damage taken by 90% and redirects to you up to 5 harmful spells cast against party and raid members within 30 yards. Lasts 8 sec.

I'm almost certain Lei Shi's spray is not a spell that can be 'grounded', there's no projectile and previous weeks I've soaked upto 25 stacks with a full zen meditation and as I mentioned in the original post my Zen med got dropped 4 seconds into blade lord enrage(I was the only person up, nothing to redirect) in the last phase.
    Last edited by Valsh; 2012-12-03 at 05:58 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

Zen Med basically works against anything that can be grounded by shamen and/or reflected by warriors. Lei Shi's spray isn't one of these.

Zen Med won't redirect a spray cast on the other tank. Cutting out at 5 when it's cast on you is just whack.

Deleted
    It can't be the redirect part, although I wish it did work, cos we could actually get our windwalker and mistweavers to soak it and have Zen Med actually be useful in a raid.

Deleted
    It can't be redirected as in if Lei Shi does spray on the other tank and you zen meditate you won't take spray attacks. On the other hand, if you are tanking and she (he?) is casting the Spray ability then you will absorb 5 of them.

In other words, if you're tanking and use Zen meditation don't expect it to last 8 seconds, look at the buff and see how many stacks you have remaining.

It can't be redirected as in if Lei Shi does spray on the other tank and you zen meditate you won't take spray attacks. On the other hand, if you are tanking and she (he?) is casting the Spray ability then you will absorb 5 of them.

In other words, if you're tanking and use Zen meditation don't expect it to last 8 seconds, look at the buff and see how many stacks you have remaining.
    That isn't how it has been working in the past, that's what they're saying. If this is now the case, then it has been changed, without any apparent warning.

I haven't had a chance to try ZM out myself recently, but if I notice anything I'll be sure to pass on my experiences with it.

Zen Med doesn't work exactly like Grounding Totem/Spell Reflect. As long as its a targeted spell, it will absorb it and count towards the 5 stack. Thats how its always worked with me during Lei Shi.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    That isn't how it has been working in the past, that's what they're saying. If this is now the case, then it has been changed, without any apparent warning.

I haven't had a chance to try ZM out myself recently, but if I notice anything I'll be sure to pass on my experiences with it.
    That's how it's worked in the past for me at least.

Echoing what Larrabee stated, it's been that way since Beta testing on both normal and HC modes.

Zen Meditation would not transfer a Spray that was targeted at someone else however if you took damage from Spray during Zen Meditation, it would remove a stack. It's still good for any spec Monk taunting/Meditating away 5 Sprays that could be lethal near the end of the fight.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm just wondering now where these people that say 14sec of virtual damage immunity with ZM and DM on Lei Shi are getting their info from.

Because if that's "working as intended", then you'll only get a few sec of ZM towards the end of the fight plus 6sec of DM, not a 2-button I-WIN combination.

Never had a ZM run its full duration on Lei Shi while tanking. It ALWAYS breaks early.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Never had a ZM run its full duration on Lei Shi while tanking. It ALWAYS breaks early.
    [20:42:49.761] Taochi casts Zen Meditation
    [20:42:57.439] Taochi's Zen Meditation fades from Taochi

Lei Shi @ Wednesday, extended my tanking whilst the other tank held the protectors as it was about to die. It is possible that it was the 5 charges being consumed(although she has a lot of haste at that point in the fight) so I'll keep an eye on it next reset.
    Last edited by Valsh; 2012-12-03 at 02:55 PM.

I think it has damage cap now. Before 5.1 I would use it to soak damage on sparks during Will of the Emperor. I could easily soak 4 sparks before and not die. After 5.1 I always died at the 4th spark taking 600k damage, even though I still had charges left.

EDIT: if my math isn't horribly wrong that would mean a ~2.4M damage cap
    Last edited by Sonrisa; 2012-12-03 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    I think it has damage cap now. Before 5.1 I would use it to soak damage on sparks during Will of the Emperor. I could easily soak 4 sparks before and not die. After 5.1 I always died at the 4th spark taking 600k damage, even though I still had charges left.

I soaked 4 sparks on Will of the Emperor this week (25M HC) and didn't die. The only thing I noticed is that the damage from the sparks comes AFTER the 'exploded' spark has hit the floor; my CDs could be up for the visual explosion, but if they dropped off after that before the spark hit the floor then I would die.

Although it might be related to the damage after the sparks drops, it still doesn't explain why I died (several times at the 4th spark). I have it frapsed and I still had almost 6 seconds left on the channel. I soak 1, charges go down to 4, soak 3, ZM buff dissapears I take 600k damage and die. If you look at the log ZM buff is removed for no reason really before I take the damage. Now that I think on it I had Fortifying Brew up so my damage taken calculations are not accurate.

Here's a short clip: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDzh_inhdiw
    Log of the fight: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/4...?s=7418&e=8020
    Code:
    [23:25:43.128] Songopanda gains Zen Meditation from Songopanda
    [23:25:44.175] Titan Spark's Focused Energy fades from Photëk
    [23:25:44.560] Titan Spark Energy of Creation Songopanda 60000
    [23:25:45.409] Titan Spark's Focused Energy fades from Niddalee
    [23:25:45.409] Titan Spark's Focused Energy fades from Niddalee
    [23:25:45.409] Titan Spark's Focused Energy fades from Adra
    [23:25:45.409] Songopanda's Zen Meditation fades from Songopanda
    [23:25:45.906] Titan Spark Energy of Creation Songopanda 425026 (O: 174974)
    EDIT: after thinking on it I think this only happened when the final soak of my group of 4 was 2 or more stacked sparks. I can't really make sense of it but whatever.
    Last edited by Sonrisa; 2012-12-03 at 06:24 PM.

It's my understanding that Zen Meditation will break prematurely if the 5 charges of spell redirects are used up.

For example, if I use Zen Meditation during Force and Verve, the charges will be eaten up fairly quickly which makes the cooldown almost useless for Force and Verve. I assume it's redirecting pulses of Force and Verve from raid members.

I haven't found a damage cap yet.