Question new to shaman healing looking for tips and tricks

hi thanks in advance :)

firstly my gear i just rerolled to resto shaman as well i felt i finally needed a change after being a rogue since classic im loving it i dont feel im under preforming for my gear either im keeping up cant seem to beat a monk healer i raid 10 man atm but were are going to be 25 man when we get another 5 members so here is my armory and what i want advice on

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aiyah/advanced

as you can see atm for 10 man im trying to get to 50% mastery around 5400 i want the second haste cap of 3306 for goblin i believe however im lacking stats atm and due to my spirit im favoring my crit for resurgence procs with better gear i will have the stats i want which is 10k spirit 50% ish mastery over 4 k crit and 3306 haste correct any of these if needed

healing wise im using earth shield on tank then Unleash riptide on pull first attack to have a high ticking hot im avoiding healing rain unless there is 4 or more stacked and im avoiding healing surge unless i cant heal anyother way i spam HW on small to medium dmg and unleashed greater healing wave on massive tank spikes pre heal ofc so the GCD doesnt effect the cast and kill tank i will also unleash healing rain on stack points to get greater aoe healing. also forgot to add so edited i keep riptide up on cd for tidal waves

also using HS totem on cd or raid aoe chain healing raid aoe and not really using ascendance as a raid cd more of a mass aoe cd and saving healing tide for big raid damage same with spirit link thats pretty much how i heal yet again any issue please state them.

my questions that ive looked and cant find answers :)

best heals to use with ascendance ?
    best time to use mana tide? i tend to use it at around 180k mana and with focus pot if poss
    a good shaman webiste for gearing ?
    do i use 4 set if so what is set breaker ? i believe i do as 5% faster heals would help me on empress atm. (i believe set breaker to be legs)
    i use my glyphs atm due to spacing how ever i dont seem many using glyph of chaining and i dont see the point in water shield one any explanation on this
    i use astral shift for defensive is the totem better as it can be used with totemic restoration i believe its called {resets cd}

thanks for reading im just looking for some long term healers to make sure im heading the right way i been melee dps since classic wow and this is the first time im healing in a raid environment that isnt lfr :) so far im 6/6 msv 5/6 hof should be 6/6 hof this week sorry for the long read and any and all spelling mistakes wrote this up kinda late after a few hours forum hunting thx again jeraiyah.
    Last edited by kowon; 2012-12-03 at 02:37 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    From my experience here's some answers to your questions :

- Always cast a precise HR before casting ascendance.
    Ascendance takes account of overhealing, so our most powerfull spell (no including HTT) will give the best benefit.
    then every intelligent spells are good (intelligent spell = choose the lower health target, HST, CH, HTT if needed) and/or low life target with direct heal, I favor HS because you can cast more.

Edit : your positionning is important when ascendance is casted, ascendance heals spread from you.
    a good strategy is to cast HR on mele and to stay with casters for example.

- Use MTT at 85 % mana and then on cooldown, if, for any reason your healer partners burn their mana very fast in the begining of the fight it might be nice or usefull to use it before.

- From my point of view there is no real BIS for a healer, you can reforge and strategies varie depending of encounter and raid comp. Get your haste cap, get enougth spirit and then every thing is more or less equal (more crit is sometime suggested, I haven't tested but it is probably good).

- Yes go for the 4 pieces 5 % haste or crit is good.

- In some situation glyph of chaining is good (more in the 10 format of course). If you don't cast CH that much go for the glyph it will have a direct HPS benefit.

- WS glyph value depends of the fight, if your mana shield triggers more than 2.63 times per minute the glyph is beneficial, you'll find a list and a good guide here :
    http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t130574-...aling_5_1_mop/

- I personaly prefer SBT because now I am used to recall my totems with totemic recall very precisely.

I see some "errors" in the begining of your post.

DO NOT aim for the 3306 haste cap (for more ticks with HST and HTT) it's bugged, latency seems to modificate the cap.
    Stay at the minimum cap, 441 for goblin if you take AS or the 2588 cap if you take EM (level 75 talents).

With the bug, the nerf on AS since 5.1 (1.5 min CD now) and loss of stat because it's difficult to be as low as 441 haste, elemental mastery is a good option.
    EM gives 8 ticks to HTT (when you're at 2588 of course) and because of the bug you sometimes get 2 "ghost" ticks (42 ticks on WOL, it should be 5 x 8 = 40 !)
    Last edited by pouca; 2012-12-03 at 01:30 PM.