Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile Questioning playing the game...again; could use some help

Not too long ago I stopped playing because I was bored with it again, but now I find myself wanting to go back to playing it...yet again. Why I keep going back 'n forth is beyond me.

I was wondering what makes/drives you all to either keep playing the game, or come back to it after X length of time.

I left recently because of a few factors:
    - reputation appears to take longer to achieve a certain level than in previous xpacs
    - not being able to get into raids very often; it surprises me that Normal 10/25 is somewhat harder than LFR despite the bosses in the latter having more health, but perhaps this is offset in Normal by increased boss mechanics?
    - LFR, when I'm unable to get into a guild raid, is what I'm forced into; my biggest problem is people not knowing what to do, even weeks/months after the release of the raid, and people leaving pre-maturely which weakens the entire team
    - the grinding process in order to achieve Valor Points; they could at least bump up the rewards a bit (not dramatically, but enough to lessen the grind just a bit)

So if anyone could help me out, by posting why they themselves keep coming back to WoW, and why you keep playing, that'd be quite helpful. I don't deny that WoW isn't fun full-stop; it certainly does have its moments.

Well with rep u only need revered for any of the raiding rewards,as for your guild u have to do a little work to find a guild that works for you, on lfr mechanics perhaps giving a small explanation of the fight before its starts if people dont listen o well, and as for the grind its part of the game, complaining about grinding in wow is like complaining that your gazpacho soup is cold. But taking a break from the game is always advised find other activities that you enjoy and when you come back you'll have loads of fun.

Friends keep me playing. Rep really doesn't matter at all unless you want mounts. PvP is so fun, it's honestly the only reason I play. I'll do LFR for one piece of gear for PvP or once to see the fight mechanics, but that's about it. Monk class is something to get into, very refreshing though slightly UP at high ranked pvp.

I stop playing because I can only look at the same things and do the same things for so long before I begin to get bored, no matter how good it was. I usually come back to WOW when I remember how absolutely captivated I was by it in 2004 and early 2005. I'd never been so sucked into a game before. I remember something like a piece of music from Teldrassil and the look of the purple and silver light bathing the trees all along the paths in Ashenvale and am overwhelmed with nostalgia and emotion. The longer I don't play, the more enjoyment I get out of the game when I finally come back, but always when the boredom comes back, it's worse than before. And when it's bad, the game can seem a million miles away, and those nostalgic moments are slippery in my mind, like trying to hold water in your hand.

I think it's usually a mistake to blame things like LFR or dailies on that boredom because when WOW was special to me and the peak of it's charm, something like that would have just been incidental compared to what attracted me to the game. Honestly if that's what makes you not like the game I wonder what it was in the first place you enjoyed because it sounds like you're just bored and focusing on an annoyance as if it's in any real way a factor of that boredom rather than just a small symptom of a larger problem.
    Last edited by Yig; 2012-12-03 at 07:10 AM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Useless "I quit WoW" thread... again. You don't like it, you don't play it, for fuck's sake... And you say you don't anymore. The other way around is of course, those that like it, still play it. There is also a minority of insane people that don't like it and still play it, but those don't matter

at this point after eight years its the story and my friends and to be honest the lore in mists is the best wows ever had i almost rage quit in bc over how crappy the lore was in that expansion but i stayed for my friends.

at this point if they keep the story quality as good as it is now i would stay even if all my friends leave.

as for the gameplay im not trying to say its bad because in my opinion its pretty good but at the end of the day its an mmo and if youve ben playing an mmo for 8 years and someone tells you they play wow for the gameplay then theres something wrong with them
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't help but to address a few things...

Quote Originally Posted by ShasVa View Post
    - reputation appears to take longer to achieve a certain level than in previous xpacs
    But is that a bad thing? Why would you need to rush it? This actually saves playtime for other stuff so you get to do other stuff than rep farming. Which is unnecessary in my opinion anyway, just desirable.
    - not being able to get into raids very often; it surprises me that Normal 10/25 is somewhat harder than LFR despite the bosses in the latter having more health, but perhaps this is offset in Normal by increased boss mechanics?
    No idea where you're going? What raids you want to get into? LFR? Normals? And how does the rest of the sentence relate to the first part? Sorry if I'm dense, but I don't get it.
    - LFR, when I'm unable to get into a guild raid, is what I'm forced into; my biggest problem is people not knowing what to do, even weeks/months after the release of the raid, and people leaving pre-maturely which weakens the entire team
    Ah it comes together now. I can understand your troubles there, but still this is something that can't be fixed by the game. If people refuse to learn the game can't force them. Besides I do think you're exaggerating a bit there. So far my runs in LFR have been quite good really. Only twice that I left a run because people were not playing well/getting out of stuff. I have had a few very good runs too.

- the grinding process in order to achieve Valor Points; they could at least bump up the rewards a bit (not dramatically, but enough to lessen the grind just a bit)
    What good would that really do? And what do you consider to be 'bumping up' the rewards?