AMD's Trinity A10

Hello all,

I'm thinking about building a mini-itx for myself, as i tend to move around a bit, and it would be MUCH more practical than a normal-sized computer case. I mostly play WoW and LoL, but would still like to be able to smoothly run games like Assassin's Creed 3.

My question is this : would an AMD A10-5700 ( 3.4 GHz - AMD Radeon HD7660D ) fulfill my needs ?

As I understand it, using one of these removes the need for a graphics card, is this correct ?

Would it perform better or worse than my current setup ?
    CPU : Phenom II x4 955
    GPU : Radeon HD5770

Your help is much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Brachamul View Post
    Would it perform better or worse than my current setup ?
    Very close to same, within 10% in most games.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    In wow the piledriver based A10 will be better than a 955/965. However it would likely be more ideal to get the A10-5800k even in a small footprint rig overclocking is possible and has a foothold, given a nice set of ram and a decent O.C. the 5800k would blow the phenom out of the water. Also keep in mind no GPU so less overall interior heat build up, i'd probably op for like an h60 squeezed into a little on the go box.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    In wow the piledriver based A10 will be better than a 955/965. However it would likely be more ideal to get the A10-5800k even in a small footprint rig overclocking is possible and has a foothold, given a nice set of ram and a decent O.C. the 5800k would blow the phenom out of the water.
    iGPU of the A10-5700 is roughly on par with Radeon 5770 the OP has in the desktop, performance will be limited by that fact alone to very similar numbers no matter how much it's overclocked or used with super RAMs. It's really good result from single chip computer, but it's not exactly cheap as you could get very low end motherboard+cheaper cpu+graphics card at the same price which would probably outperform it.

i'd probably op for like an h60 squeezed into a little on the go box.
    Xigmatek Gaia would cost $50 less and perform the same.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

iGPU of the A10-5700 is roughly on par with Radeon 5770 the OP has in the desktop, performance will be limited by that fact alone to very similar numbers no matter how much it's overclocked or used with super RAMs. It's really good result from single chip computer, but it's not exactly cheap as you could get very low end motherboard+cheaper cpu+graphics card at the same price which would probably outperform it.

The Xigmatek Gaia would cost $50 less and perform the same.
    $30 at most and he was mentioning Mini, and its a substantial performance increase in near every game to have higher frequency ram and even @ stock voltages clock well. Factoring WoW = CPU limited and the 5800k cores are actually better than phenom II.

A side from the fact it is very clear you have not worked hands on w/ any APU, it is very very much a performance increase to get higher frequency ram and the 5800k w/ a moderate overclock. The ram choice from 1333-1866 was like 10% by itself.

A side from the fact it is very clear you have not worked hands on w/ any APU, it is very very much a performance increase to get higher frequency ram and the 5800k w/ a moderate overclock. The ram choice from 1333-1866 was like 10% by itself.
    You serious that with some moderate overclocking the iGPU will perform like Radeon 7850 instead of 5770? I really doubt that.
    Trolling should be.

You serious that with some moderate overclocking the iGPU will perform like Radeon 7850 instead of 5770? I really doubt that.
    Do you have any clue what your talking about? I mean you are clearly passionate about it but you do not seem to have even the slightest knowledge of what you speak. Nowhere did I say that the iGPU would produce 100% increase in its performance which is basically 5770 to 7850. It seems people really have a bad concept of how percentages work on this website. 15 FPS increased by 100% is 30 FPS.

This can go on further but, it would likely be more optimal if you did some research rather than spouting off fiction as fact. Keep in mind going from 51 frames to 56.1 would be a 10% increase, w/ higher ram they are seeing MORE than 10% on some cases but 10% is the safe bet. If you really can't understand that overclocking both the iGPU and CPU cores will also net in even more performance increase's why even bother replying?

To be clear and not dramatic or misinformed severely, the AMD A10-5800k w/ proper Ram 2133Mhz with a decent overclock on both the cpu and gpu cores will bring the performance level right around an i3-3220 w/ a 7770, below 1920x1080. In some cases it will be quite playable @ 1920x1080 but the 7770 will clearly handle full HD better.

* User has been infracted
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-12-02 at 10:59 PM.

Do you have any clue what your talking about? I mean you are clearly passionate about it but you do not seem to have even the slightest knowledge of what you speak.
    Do you know what I'm talking about? Are you so fucking keen desperately trying to prove me wrong in every thread that you no longer read what you're writing yourself or understand plain english? Take a deep breath and think instead of going on brainless rant & rave rampage yet again.

This can go on further but, it would likely be more optimal if you did some research rather than spouting off fiction as fact. Keep in mind going from 51 frames to 56.1 would be a 10% increase, w/ higher ram they are seeing MORE than 10% on some cases but 10% is the safe bet. If you really can't understand that overclocking both the iGPU and CPU cores will also net in even more performance increase's why even bother replying?
    This is A10-5800K vs PhenomII x4 965 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/675?vs=102
    Notice how PhenomII has slight advantage in every test where the difference is bigger than 5% between the two.

Radeon 5770 gets about 2623 3dmark11 score which multiplied by 1.1 for 10% OC is 2885, while 3dmark11 score on the charts you posted is 3042 with maxed out OC and most expensive RAM. That's a difference of less than 5%

If you overclock the original Radeon 5770 OP has by 10% (10% is pretty normal for any discrete GPU) it runs just as fast as overclocked A10 with 2133MHz RAM. That was my original point, and you claimed it'll magically be significantly faster which is bullshit when you look into actual numbers.

My first reply to this thread was "Very close to same, within 10% in most games." which is more accurate than your wild claims or accusations.
    Trolling should be.

Do you know what I'm talking about? Are you so fucking keen desperately trying to prove me wrong in every thread that you no longer read what you're writing yourself or understand plain english? Take a deep breath and think instead of going on brainless rant & rave rampage yet again.

This is A10-5800K vs PhenomII x4 965 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/675?vs=102
    Notice how PhenomII has slight advantage in every test where the difference is bigger than 5% between the two.

Radeon 5770 gets about 2623 3dmark11 score which multiplied by 1.1 for 10% OC is 2885, while 3dmark11 score on the charts you posted is 3042 with maxed out OC and most expensive RAM. That's a difference of less than 5%

If you overclock the original Radeon 5770 OP has by 10% (10% is pretty normal for any discrete GPU) it runs just as fast as overclocked A10 with 2133MHz RAM. That was my original point, and you claimed it'll magically be significantly faster which is bullshit when you look into actual numbers.

My first reply to this thread was "Very close to same, within 10% in most games." which is more accurate than your wild claims or accusations.
    Honestly you have no clue what you are trying to say you have flip flopped more than mitt romney in this thread alone. 10% overclock is not 10% performance increase, stop typing start thinking. I'd love to see a 5770 w/ any O.C. showing 100% performance improvement like you claim, but you won't find it, and if you could why is anyone using anything but this magical card that w/ 10% increased clocks gives 100% more performance. Again you are speaking w/o any prior knowledge to the situation that was not a MAX o.c. it was only an iGPU O.C and it was on stock voltages, similar to the anandtech review.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/538?vs=549 Pls show me a comparable overclock to this the first 3-4 benchs right away show near 100% performance increase from a 5770 to a 7850, you are flat out WRONG. If I was to even remotely run with what you think then I'd buy a 7770 right now and decimate a 7950 in performance w/ a minor overclock.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/538?vs=536 hmmmm somethings wrong here...why is the 7770 only like what 10% better performance? Keep in mind the 7660D might as well be a 5770 and starts off the top w/ lower core clock on the gpu cores and much slower memory. The 5770-6770-7770 all have relatively the same performance given 10%~ increases in peformance per generation, pls stop confusing the 5970 and 5790 w/ a 5770 ty. Once again the A10-5800k w/o a gpu and a minor to moderate OC w/ proper ram will outperform a 5770+phenom II x4. A highly O.Ced A10 could be quite a beast for its price range and missing a gpu. Plain and simple @ $119~ you get a $100cpu and $100gpu given todays market.

I'll give you @ stock w/ just some random thrown together crap the a10 would be a bit behind the legendary Phenom II x4 955 the iGPU however does right off the start compete w/ a 5770. Factor in that the Phenom II will NEVER clock as high as the A10 will w/o a serious liquid cooler.

Also if you are not going to even remotely look at the benchmarks you link then stfu pls. You link A10 vs Phenom 2 w/ a Gtx 280...and the gaming benchs show the A10 @ the same resolution within 10% with only Dragon age origins showing like a 12% better performance bench with the phenom.

280 blew out the 5770 which was on par ish w/ the 260. So again

Rofl like really dude...Phenom II x4 w/ a GTX 280 v.s. a AMD A10 budget APU and it is barely ahead in most if any benchs and unless noted its stock clocks and normal testbed items. So yea 3-4 gen old top of the line phenom ii x4 w/ a top of the line Nvidia card being hounded by a stock APU.

If you need this any clearer w/e Im done this is over you have been slain

Phenom II x4 955 w/ a GTX 280 is not the same as a Phenom II x4 955 w/ a 5770
    Last edited by Milkshake86; 2012-12-02 at 07:15 PM.

I'd love to see a 5770 w/ any O.C. showing 100% performance improvement like you claim
    Show me where I claimed that. Put your money where your mouth is.

Pls show me a comparable overclock to this the first 3-4 benchs right away show near 100% performance increase from a 5770 to a 7850, you are flat out WRONG.
    And again where did I claimed 5770 and 7850 is the same card. Proof?

Factor in that the Phenom II will NEVER clock as high as the A10 will w/o a serious liquid cooler.
    Who retard would try running PhenomII at 5GHz? If you would think for five seconds you'd understand that 20% OC on A10 is exactly same as 20% OC on PhenomII. When both start from same performance and increase by same % they'll also end up with same performance. It's like magic, but with numbers.

Also if you are not going to even remotely look at the benchmarks you link then stfu pls. You link A10 vs Phenom 2 w/ a Gtx 280...
    How about you stop being an ass for a second and look at the CPU benchmarks instead of irrelevant GPU benchmarks. Both single and multithread performance of A10 and PII x4 965 are pretty much the same within margin of error.

* User was infracted
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-12-02 at 11:01 PM.
    Trolling should be.

What the?

It's my first time I ever heard about the trinity stuff so I just did my research. Do you really think he would benefit with that trinity setup over his current setup? It's even worse.

His current graphics card is like twice as fast as his current.

HD 5770 12K gpu score in 3dmark vantage -> http://be.hardware.info/reviews/1564...3dmark-vantage
    A10 thing 6k gpu score in 3dmark vantage -> http://be.hardware.info/reviews/3187...3dmark-vantage

He's rather going to have a performance drop instead of gaining performance. Let's stop about the overclock stuff for this cpu lol. This CPU needs like 1.56V for 4.4GHz and if we have to measure, for 4GHz he's going to need heavy cooling and the Vcore would be around 1.43Vcore.

Cinebench 11.5 @ 4.4GHz -> 4.0 score
    Cinebench 11.5 @ stock -> 3.3 score

Which means just a silly 20% performance. But he's not going to reach 4.4GHz at all, max 4GHz so the performance benefit is around ~15% but he's not a pro overclocker so you rather could say 3.8GHz.

Most important thing is this. Even if the 7660D in that chip has exactly the same specifications as the 5770 such as stream cpu's & clock frequency, still the discrete card would be a bunch faster. The memory controller is just so much more advanced and taking full advantage of DDR5 while an APU makes use of the memory controller of the CPU which is currently shit. Memory controllers on the CPU aren't taking any advantage of DDR3.

@OP TL;dr just forget this upgrade and save up for a decent new motherboard/cpu/ram & graphics card. But this time -> Intel always.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    HD 5770 12K gpu score in 3dmark vantage ->
    A10 thing 6k gpu score in 3dmark vantage ->
    So I trusted the posted chart of 3k 3dmark11 being correct, but since it isn't, looks like the A10 iGPU is more like in line with 5670 instead of 5770 and quite notably worse than OPs current computer in anything non-WoW. Case closed.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-12-03 at 08:39 AM.
    Trolling should be.