Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I was an MT in Vanilla and pretty much all the fights in MC were tank and spank and boring. BWL started to change the formula for a Tank. This frames my top 3:

3. Vanilla Onyxia: Threat mattered, especially Phase II-III transition. Being able to make that transition smoothly was an accomplishment and killing this boss was also very hard at the time.

2. Razorgore: This was before raid strats/videos were readily available and my job was to break the eggs first and then kites the adds around the room. Swiftness Potion, Nifty Stopwatch (still in my inventory because of this), and Piercing Howl were abused for this strat to work. Took us weeks to get the first kill and it was epic when it happened.

3. Ossarian: No one seems to ever remember or mention this boss (or raid for that matter), but it is my favorite boss of all time. This was so freaking fun as a tank because it was so different. There was so much movement and it took skill to make sure you found the next crystal to break in time while avoiding tornadoes. I had to pay attention the entire time to keep threat while moving in the proper direction. Very challenging and fun. You also had to have an OT who knew what they were doing as they had the same responsibilities as the MT, which was rare at that time in the game. Healers had to be on point too. It was really what co-op gaming is all about.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Molten Core Ragnaros. I have played several MMO's but never have I seen a boss that compares to Rag. The fight was simplistic but what did it for me was the entrence. Your standing there then all the sudden "Fwoosh!" he rises up from the lava with that big ass hammer of his. Today it dosent seem that impressive among all the other bosses we have fought but at level 60, after a long fight to reach max level and then head into molten core. It had a way of makeing you feel very weak in comparison...

15+ Year Old Account
    Kael`thas and Ragnaros (MC edition) tied between both
    Raggy since he was quite epic back in the day, the first time i saw him emerge from the lava was 1 of the greatest WoW moments
    Kael...not much needed to say, normally we had like 5-10min fights, then POW! inyoface an 15-20min fight
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Vanila Ragnaros
    "DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

10+ Year Old Account
    Lich King.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzior View Post
    Most memorable? Heroic Beth'tilac. Went in after a few hours of work and finally downing heroic Baleroc. Decided to just mess with the fight for the last 20 minutes or so of raid. End up 1-shotting her, partially because our dk taunted and kited here with rocket boots as she enraged to give us the last few seconds we needed to kill her.
    Lol. Awesome story. I can just imagine what a rush that must have been.

10+ Year Old Account
    My absolute favourite fight, mechanicwise and the feeling after finally downing it has to be Putricide 25 HC. I still love that fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    Mages are balanced. It's just that they aren't balanced for Azeroth.

Deleted
    Lich King
    - only fight I loved just as much would be Raggy in Firelands.

Definitely gotta go with the Lich King on this one.

Deleted
    Lich King HC - didn't even kill it on heroic because was pretty shit back then, but oh my good what a fight, not just in fight design, but the sheer scale of lore build up made that fight truly magnificent - brought tears to my eyes watching that cutscene after we killed it on normal

Top three:
    H Lich King
    Algalon (the RP gave me goosebumps)
    Yogg One Light

Firefighter gets an honorable mention, it was a beast pre-nerf.
    Last edited by cabbageloins; 2012-12-03 at 10:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    All you're really going to gain is a slightly higher rank on world of logs, which is fine if that's what you're into. You know what I'm into? AFKing in dalaran while hot bitties swoon around me and my good looks.

Deleted
    epic? M'uru. Especially the Entropius phase.

10+ Year Old Account
    No fight, in the history of fights, spawned more raid leadership efforts than Lady Vashj. A simple youtube search results in demos, diagrams, fancy designs and so forth to do positioning for the encounter. I wrote a VB program for the guild and posted its assignments before every kill, even long after farm. Lady Vashj is the type of encounter that even in a post-nerf state (when they removed mind control) was beyond complex and required complete raid attention and awareness.
    The best way to understand is to watch Method's video: VIDEO: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22...shj_videogames
    I know it's dailymotion, but that's the only one with the full version at good quality.

The feel of the encounter was as if we were not fighting an NPC, but a player with an incredibly over-powered toolbox of things that were specifically designed to fuck with you and your raid. It had an individual responsibility requirement of killing the elementals. It had a teamwork check for throwing the cores. It had a skill check for kiting. Tank check for cleave damage. DPS checks on the adds, DPS check in phase 3. PvP CC/stun check for mind controls. Leadership check for adaptations on the fly.

There is no fight, was no fight, will never be a fight that can be as dynamically unforgiving, challenging, yet oddly doable with the right talent as Lady Vashj. That is why she will forever be at the top of my list as the most incredible boss ever designed. It pains me, with actual sadness, when I go back there and the fight is so such a pushover.

Deleted
    Lich King heroic definately, wiped 11% on 5% buff, and the same at 10% both to enrage. The fight was brutal, unforgiving and remorseless. The first kill I screamed my lungs out.

Nefarian back in BWL. We wiped on that fight so many times, but what made it truly amazing was how the fight ended.

All the healers were OOM (including me) or dead. We got a bad series of class calls (rotating between priest and warrior). When he finally died there were only 4 of us alive. I landed the killing blow with my Benediction, getting 300 weapon skill with that blow.

Lich King Heroic and Rag Heroic both stand way out in my mind as some of the most intense fights for me, both in difficulty and the atmosphere of the fight.

LK especially... though that may in part be due to our kill being very white-knuckle. The tank who normally leads the group died right as we were being sucked into Frostmourne for the final time, and with no rezzes left, we not only had one tank to do the short rest of the fight with, but our GM and resto shaman quickly took over leading us through the room. It was a terrifying berserk kill with ghosts falling down on us and no tank at the end.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Shade of Aran

That from a PoV at the time,

snip

LK was good fun

Kael was a pain in the arse

Supermus was fun,

Nightbane had that sense of accomplishment when we downed it the night before people had the chance to get their title
    This pretty much, though I'd like to add Illidan and Vashj to this list.

And the first look on Supremus I almost crapped my pants.

Deleted
    id have to say twin emps from a lock tank point of view felt really epic the first time we killed him. illidan was another epic kill and last was kael'thas, really loved that fight. no bosses felt as epic as those for me, and ever since those bosses the rest were really a let down for me.

Firefighter pre-nerf

10+ Year Old Account
    H-Lich King.

I know it's a common answer, but by golly it had years of anticipation behind it and it delivered.