Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Any decent MMOs to be released in 2013?

    Nothing has been released since WoW thats even worth playing longer than a month or two. Just wondering whats coming out in 2013 that might be worth checking out? Also Im not looking for another overhyped "WoW killer" like GW2 or SW:ToR that just ends up sucking. I need to find another great game like Ultima Online or EverQuest were when I first started playing those.

  2. #2
    Also Im not looking for another overhyped "WoW killer" like GW2 or SW:ToR
    The minority did that. You should stop reading posts labeled as WoW killer or every game is going to be considered a WoW killer.

    I think FF14 2.0 is coming out (still looks horrible imho) and blade and soul for the west should be coming some time in 2013.

  3. #3
    WoW's next xpac. I am not trolling.

  4. #4
    Pandaren Monk ParanoiD84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,924
    Elderscrolls online maby, i will try the beta when it's released. There is not so much info now to judge the game, it could be good or it could be bad, we will have to wait and see.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The minority did that. You should stop reading posts labeled as WoW killer or every game is going to be considered a WoW killer.

    I think FF14 2.0 is coming out (still looks horrible imho) and blade and soul for the west should be coming some time in 2013.
    Not to mention GW2 is a strong game of its own accord, whether or not you appreciate it yourself.

    SWTOR flopped on its face because it tried too hard to be a WoW mimic with the Star Wars universe stamped over it. To some degree that works but you still need to find opportunities to separate yourself in meaningful ways. I think Bioware has caught the EA fever--it happened to Medal of Honor as well when EA hyped it up to be their Call of Duty.

    WoW was similar to Everquest but was still strong on its own. It didn't just outright copy it but took the best parts about it.

  6. #6
    Also Im not looking for another overhyped "WoW killer" like GW2 or SW:ToR that just ends up sucking.
    Both GW2 and SWtOR are better than WoW and UO. (never played EQ)
    Would you mind to explain your idea of quality, so we can recommend you games properly?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Im not looking for another overhyped "WoW killer" like GW2 or SW:ToR


    If you are someone who actually took those "wow killer" comments seriously instead of realizing they are troll posts done by a handful of posters than I suspect you will continue to eat the hook. I am going to guess you are probably going to get ESO.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Recluse - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Rhino- Dreadnought - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Both GW2 and SWtOR are better than WoW and UO. (never played EQ)
    Would you mind to explain your idea of quality, so we can recommend you games properly?
    Better in what way?

    I agree that WOW has gone downhill but TOR was a mess IMO as an MMO. As a stand alone solo RPG it was fun to level a toon but the list of it's MMO failings is very long and is the main reason the game failed so hard. It's arguably the biggest flop in MMO history followed closely by WAR (both EA games and both with devs from DAOC). It's still painful to think how EA destroyed two of the biggest IP's.

    GW2 is a different story. I'd say it's more of a multiplayer RPG than what most people think of MMO's but it's definitely fun. The thing is GW2 and TOR are not new games coming out in 2013 as the OP asked.

    I think we've seen the last of the WOW killer era of MMO's. I'm hopeful that we're going to see a return to niche games with passionate devs. Games that don't try to please every type of gamer and instead attract players like the devs making the game.

  9. #9
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,567
    Quote Originally Posted by mkultra55 View Post
    I think we've seen the last of the WOW killer era of MMO's. I'm hopeful that we're going to see a return to niche games with passionate devs. Games that don't try to please every type of gamer and instead attract players like the devs making the game.
    Other than Rift, no one but silly internet jockeys labeled anything as a WoW killer. Sure they all wanted a piece of the pie, but know that the Juggernaut just keeps rolling.

    I think you're going to find the MMO world vastly empty and filled with F2P over the next few years. I expect after the next expansion is winding down a couple of ballsy companies will make a run at them and have a higher chance to succeed than any before them have. I don't plan on seeing that until early 2015 though...possibly when Titan is trying to pick up momentum.

    Say what you will, but Blizzard has an incredible knack for Branding and marketing. Their company and products tie into the market so well that it leaves little room for competitors to elbow in. That's part of what people dont' factor in when they talk about 'defeating' their MMO. The other games that kinda tie everything together.

  10. #10
    I can only think Neverwinter and maybe Elder Scrolls Online for 2013.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    Not to mention GW2 is a strong game of its own accord, whether or not you appreciate it yourself.

    SWTOR flopped on its face because it tried too hard to be a WoW mimic with the Star Wars universe stamped over it. To some degree that works but you still need to find opportunities to separate yourself in meaningful ways. I think Bioware has caught the EA fever--it happened to Medal of Honor as well when EA hyped it up to be their Call of Duty.

    WoW was similar to Everquest but was still strong on its own. It didn't just outright copy it but took the best parts about it.
    SWTOR flopped due to no endgame. 1-50 SWTOR shits all over WoW. Endgame wise WoW is king, as seen in how they keep subs subscribed.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    Not to mention GW2 is a strong game of its own accord, whether or not you appreciate it yourself.

    SWTOR flopped on its face because it tried too hard to be a WoW mimic with the Star Wars universe stamped over it. To some degree that works but you still need to find opportunities to separate yourself in meaningful ways. I think Bioware has caught the EA fever--it happened to Medal of Honor as well when EA hyped it up to be their Call of Duty.

    WoW was similar to Everquest but was still strong on its own. It didn't just outright copy it but took the best parts about it.
    EA have a LOT to answer for. I rue the day bioware ever got into bed with them. EA's stink is all over swtor and i wont even get into the mass effect debacle.

    In terms of new MMO's isnt the fallout beta due at some point next year?

  13. #13
    So far ESO is underhyped and people seem to be split on it. On one side you have those saying you can't turn Elder Scrolls into an MMO and the other side says I don't care, I want to go back to Morrowind.

    I think it's going to sneak in under the radar and be a better game than people think it will be. I'm not worried about whether or not it will be the next fad WoW killer. I just want it to feel like I'm playing TES but in an MMO. If they can accomplish that, they will be deemed successful.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    SWTOR flopped due to no endgame. 1-50 SWTOR shits all over WoW. Endgame wise WoW is king, as seen in how they keep subs subscribed.
    I disagree. I think that TOR failed commercially because it tried to be like WoW right now, where there is very little to do but end-game. WoW may be king in end-game, but that does not make it's end-game actually good, just better from the rest.

    And that is exactly where Bioware were at fault. They tried to copy an aspect of WoW that is quite weak but functions due to the popularity of the game carrying over from the past. Instead, they could have tried to copy the apects that produced most of WoW's popularity, which occured during its first two major periods, vanilla and TBC, where players came to it due to having so many things to do, and not just participate in end-game.

    During those two periods, getting from level 1 to level 60 or 70, respectively, took months. Actual months. While levelling was a complicated and challenging experience, not a faceroll. And that kept people busy playing through varied content, instead of grinding the same old dungeons. Blizzard at the time had already realised their mistake, and with Mists tried to reverse its consequences, which is extremely difficult of course, due to the way their player-base was molded through their mistakes of overdoing it with fan-service. But Bioware dove right in. Levelling in TOR is a joke as far as the length of the experience, its complexity and challenge, just like Cataclysm levelling. While Blizzard were steering away from their mistake Bioware just plunged in it head first.

    And that is how they destroyed their game in my opinion. Nowadays a developer should either have the guts to create a proper role-playing game with multiplayer aspects, or flood its end-game with raiding and pvping to keep people busy grinding. Bioware did non of those two.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Drithiend View Post
    I disagree. I think that TOR failed commercially because it tried to be like WoW right now, where there is very little to do but end-game. WoW may be king in end-game, but that does not make it's end-game actually good, just better from the rest.

    And that is exactly where Bioware were at fault. They tried to copy an aspect of WoW that is quite weak but functions due to the popularity of the game carrying over from the past. Instead, they could have tried to copy the apects that produced most of WoW's popularity, which occured during its first two major periods, vanilla and TBC, where players came to it due to having so many things to do, and not just participate in end-game.

    During those two periods, getting from level 1 to level 60 or 70, respectively, took months. Actual months. While levelling was a complicated and challenging experience, not a faceroll. And that kept people busy playing through varied content, instead of grinding the same old dungeons. Blizzard at the time had already realised their mistake, and with Mists tried to reverse its consequences, which is extremely difficult of course, due to the way their player-base was molded through their mistakes of overdoing it with fan-service. But Bioware dove right in. Levelling in TOR is a joke as far as the length of the experience, its complexity and challenge, just like Cataclysm levelling. While Blizzard were steering away from their mistake Bioware just plunged in it head first.

    And that is how they destroyed their game in my opinion. Nowadays a developer should either have the guts to create a proper role-playing game with multiplayer aspects, or flood its end-game with raiding and pvping to keep people busy grinding. Bioware did non of those two.
    okay. Whoa.

    Leveling in vanilla did not take months. It was not complicated. It was not diverse.

    Leveling in tbc was a joke. It took days, not even a week.

    The end game was varied and interesting mainly because of crafting and a long gear grind. You need a pair of boots from scholo and a rare drop book from ubrs and a trinket from lbrs and a mace from ZG and the list just kept going. The loot tables were structured in a way that items had more to offer than just their stats. Since both wow and swtor have trended away from this (hard) gearing up is significantly easier because 1 Ilv126 heavy armor aim helm is almost as good as any other of the same Ilv. You don't need a specific drop and even if you did the loot tables are much smaller because, why should they be diverse when all gear is almost the same? You feel nothing when you get a piece of loot too because it wasn't hard and theres a handful of other ones with similar stats.

    Swtors end game was only a part of the problem and, in my opinion, less consequential than people realize. Something as subtle as loot tables have a large impact on people in a gear driven game.

    edit: Also, don't give blizzard so much credit for mop. They lost 25% of their players over the course of cata so obviously they would change directions. its not hard.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Recluse - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Rhino- Dreadnought - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Nothing has been released since WoW thats even worth playing longer than a month or two.
    Bolded is entirely subjective.

    As for some MMO's that will/might be coming out in 2013...

    Neverwinter
    Defiance
    WildStar
    Blade and Soul

    There are others, but all those are looking pretty awesome.

    If you're looking for something as mind blowing as UO or EQ were when they came out, I don't think we'll see another game like that for a while. We'll continue to see variations on themes, but nothing that's revolutionary like either one of those games.

  17. #17
    Top 2 things that ruined wow in my opinion...

    1. Gearscore / Item level
    2. Resilience

    @ OP: Elder Scrolls Online looks really enticing to me, in the meantime I've got a year sub to Planet Side 2 which I think is pretty great, and they are speaking very ambitiously for the future.

  18. #18
    Black Desert Online looks really cool to me.


    Who knows when we'll actually get it though... ):

  19. #19
    Bloodsail Admiral hiragana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,193
    Im going to try TESO probably, which they say will come out in 2013. Im sure it will be hyped as a wow killer, unfortunately. Hopefully after most of the former wow players leave though it will be a decent game in its own right.
    Thats if i like the look of i when its closer to release, not much info yet.

    Edit: I might also take a look at final fantasy 14. Not sure yet though, il have to watch more videos and such when the beta nears completion.
    Last edited by hiragana; 2012-12-03 at 05:45 PM.

  20. #20
    Scarab Lord Buckwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    4,342
    If the games stay on schedule, the three I'm most excited about are; ESO, FFXIV:ARR and The Repopulation.

    Everyone should check out info on The Repopulation. Super awesome looking TRUE sandbox. They just added "entertainer" skills (a la SWG) to the alpha.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •