Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    They did match expectations, it sold over 2 million copies. The internal finances were a mess though and they ran out of money before finishing the MMO (Project Capernicus) so the company closed down. And it wasn't a direct translation of KoA into a MMO, it was even more stylized, but it did take place in the same universe IIRC.
    Oh, that's even worse... It was good...

That's right, it was the one Cal Ripken lost his baseball fortune on. That stings...
    Last edited by Felya; 2012-12-03 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Both GW2 and SWtOR are better than WoW and UO. (never played EQ)
    Would you mind to explain your idea of quality, so we can recommend you games properly?
    do you even know what "quality" word means?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Nothing has been released since WoW thats even worth playing longer than a month or two. Just wondering whats coming out in 2013 that might be worth checking out? Also Im not looking for another overhyped "WoW killer" like GW2 or SW:ToR that just ends up sucking. I need to find another great game like Ultima Online or EverQuest were when I first started playing those.
    Frankly you are never going to find another Ultima Online or Everquest. These days, developers could not give a crap about risk, and that is what made those games (and WoW) really shine. They want money, and they want it reliably returned within a short period of time. If a game doesn't show a reasonably good turnaround rate, it is scrapped early on. This goes for *all* games except WoW, which is still the paragon of MMO titles.

This is bad for the Fantasy-oriented gamer. It is bad for gamers in general. Whats more, it is awful for the future of the industry. By releasing games that very specifically are aimed at "stealing" WoW gamers, the industry is setting itself up to make games that perfectly mirror the familiarity of WoW while saying they are different and new.

I am really sorry to say it, but that is reality. The companies of today are not only not run by the people that created the games we loved in the mid-90s, they are existing on a 200% profit per dollar spent marketing strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    do you even know what "quality" word means?
    he must mean F2P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Let's get back on the topic of MMO's coming out in 2013, guys.

Shadowrun Online has possibilities. The IP is engaging, there's potential for various styles of play, and let's face it - being a troll combat mage carrying an assualt cannon would be bad ass.

Now, that being said, tentative beta is May 2013, so whether it will make a 2013 release (an whether it will be any good) is up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    Not to mention GW2 is a strong game of its own accord, whether or not you appreciate it yourself.

SWTOR flopped on its face because it tried too hard to be a WoW mimic with the Star Wars universe stamped over it. To some degree that works but you still need to find opportunities to separate yourself in meaningful ways. I think Bioware has caught the EA fever--it happened to Medal of Honor as well when EA hyped it up to be their Call of Duty.

WoW was similar to Everquest but was still strong on its own. It didn't just outright copy it but took the best parts about it.
    No. SWTOR didn't flop because it was too much like WoW; it flopped because of a number of poor design decisions. Poorly designed zones, badly designed questing hubs, being about 7 years behind the times in MMO development, etc. As I've said, as have legions of other observers, this was a single player-game with an MMO pasted on as an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Oh, that's even worse... It was good...

That's right, it was the one Cal Ripken lost his baseball fortune on. That stings...
    Curt Schilling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Curt Schilling
    And another doh from me. I heard google was good for this sorta thing. /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Both GW2 and SWtOR are better than WoW and UO.
    Hahahahahahahaha. Yeah, ok. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Aeka View Post
    No. SWTOR didn't flop because it was too much like WoW; it flopped because of a number of poor design decisions. Poorly designed zones, badly designed questing hubs, being about 7 years behind the times in MMO development, etc. As I've said, as have legions of other observers, this was a single player-game with an MMO pasted on as an afterthought.
    Which is an over simplification and in a weird way a too kind to both EA and Bioware when you consider what actually happened.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Wikkr View Post
    EA have a LOT to answer for. I rue the day bioware ever got into bed with them. EA's stink is all over swtor and i wont even get into the mass effect debacle.

In terms of new MMO's isnt the fallout beta due at some point next year?
    I believe the idea for a Fallout MMO crumpled up as soon as they encountered a legal battle over the attempt of creating such.

Doubt there will be a beta for something that isn't going to happen, at least, not anytime soon. xD

As for the subject of any other "exciting" MMOs to release for 2013, I am just not seeing it. I think GW2 will get really interesting as time goes on, especially since the way they designed their core gives a lot of breathing room for ideas and newer concepts to be integrated more naturally into the game. So, probably keep your eye on that.

Otherwise, Elder Scrolls? I'm just not seeing anything exciting for it as of yet. Granted I've always thought of Bethesda as the most over-hyped game developer out there to date. Sorry folks that actually appreciate their games. My experience with them has thus bar been exceptionally underwhelming for the amount of praise they get--both in the technical and game-play departments.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2012-12-03 at 11:06 PM.

I kind of doubt Blade and Soul will be released in 2013 in the US/Europe. If it does it will be most likely a poor translated effort.
    I think it will be the summer of 2013. One year when it was released in the east. It already has its own separate team working on it and has a US website.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I think it will be the summer of 2013. One year when it was released in the east. It already has its own separate team working on it and has a US website.
    I've heard that before from other eastern imports. But maybe this one will be different...

Rift is a pretty good MMO that is doing quite well for itself. If you haven't even considered it, you might want to atleast do the trial to 20. The game is good.

(I know you said for 2013, but you also said no MMO released post WoW is worth a damn)

I'm not sure when TES:O is supposed to come around, but I'm not really looking forward to it. I'm scared they will take an amazing single player RPG and ruin it like SWTOR compared to KOTOR. I'm hoping I will be surprised though.
    Last edited by NoRest4Wicked; 2012-12-04 at 12:08 AM.

I've heard that before from other eastern imports. But maybe this one will be different...
    NCSOFT has a team of game designers, localization experts, community support managers, and producers dedicated to working closely with Team Bloodlust to deliver the Blade & Soul experience to Western audiences without compromising the game's artistic vision.
    http://us.bladeandsoul.com/en/faq/

So a team within team bloodlust working on localization. This was about 4 months ago. Doesn't look like lyn blademaster will be in for launch.

Also I think gunner was scraped

http://us.bladeandsoul.com/en/faq/

So a team within team bloodlust working on localization. This was about 4 months ago. Doesn't look like lyn blademaster will be in for launch.

Also I think gunner was scraped

That's never a good sign (IE: Squig herder)

Is that hack n slash or hotkey?

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    That's never a good sign (IE: Squig herder)

Is that hack n slash or hotkey?
    Cross between gw2 and Tera combat. More sided with Tera than gw2.

Cross between gw2 and Tera combat. More sided with Tera than gw2.
    Excellent.

Words can not describe how happy I am to see more REAL combat mmos coming onto the market. Since AoC and vindictus I was concerned people would back off that trend but Tera and GW2 and Firefall and Defiance are all going to/have help push the envelope further.

Titan will be announced.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Excellent.

Words can not describe how happy I am to see more REAL combat mmos coming onto the market. Since AoC and vindictus I was concerned people would back off that trend but Tera and GW2 and Firefall and Defiance are all going to/have help push the envelope further.
    Yea, I haven't played the combat myself but by looking at it it has a target circle like Tera then a lock on function or something.

Titan will be announced.
    Titan was announced to be more casual centered woo!