Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Multiple High-End Progressing Guilds Benching Mages

This seemingly started from watching Kungen's twitch stream. They'd typically run 3-5 mages in the guild, and all of them got benched during the later half of Heart of Fear progression. Is the Sunwelling of mages on the horizon? Or can we only hope that mages start getting out of the mindset of Fire and trying out Frost and Arcane? Part of adapting?

While some mages agree the nerfs were kneejerk'ish, they fear they may not maintain their raid spots if they can't compete; they are now left to trying out Frost/Arcane on test dummies or in LFR to see if they can "make it work" in raids.

Raid leaders, are you benching your mages, or giving them time to adapt to different specs?

Deleted
    Was watching Blattys(method) stream yesterday when he was trying out arcane in ToES and he was ahead or equal to their fire mage(forgot the name). If you bench mages you either have bad mages or a bad RL.

edit: Ahead of the pack, sure it was a main/alt raid but you could clearly see that arcane and mages in general are viable, even in fights like Tsu with decent movement which is horrible for arcane.
    Last edited by mmoc12f026c685; 2012-12-03 at 02:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    mages are fine, now instead of being 10-15% ahead on everything, they are where they belong. Kungen is a washed up old hack who only plays this game to make money off his stream, his guild is not a "high-end" progressing guild, and is not a valid source of information regarding class balance.

Quote Originally Posted by pixul View Post
    mages are fine, now instead of being 10-15% ahead on everything, they are where they belong. Kungen is a washed up old hack who only plays this game to make money off his stream, his guild is not a "high-end" progressing guild, and is not a valid source of information regarding class balance.
    Well, most guilds in the top 50 or wherever they are aren't there because they don't know what they're doing.

Pretty sure they're ranked 54th in the world at the moment, which isn't bad considering how many trash players they still have to get rid of.

Frost was fine before and it's fine now. Fire was OP and got nerfed to oblivion, which of course was way too much of a nerf for one hotfix, but Frost is still fine. Some day Mages will learn that Frost is not a PvP/leveling-only spec anymore.

Deleted
    The reason some mages in top guilds are getting benched, is because they were so ridiculously overpowered before the fix, that every top guild felt compelled to bring 3-6 mages on their roster. Now that they are more in line with other classes, yep, expect half of them to lose their raidspot.

It's all about affliction lock stacking now.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Multiple High-End Progressing Guilds Benching Mages"

Mention....let's say 5 to make this thread valid?

Deleted
    Could've sworn I saw about 4 or 5 mages in Method's heroic Sha of Fear kill?

Edit: Fire spec'd too

It's rather funny to me that a lot of uninformed people seem to think the sky is falling in regards to mages. They are still more than capable of being top dps even with the nerf, however it will no longer be such a ridiculous lead like it was before.

So?

every time guilds go to world first you will see some hybrid specs or pure classes get ''benched'' because the raid aims to have 5 players of class XXX.

I suggest you start complaining if your part of that guild and not if your just in a regular raiding guild

Our mages appear to be fine. Still playing fire, still doing competitive DPS. They're just not doing more damage than people 5-10 ilvls higher now.

I just leveled my own mage for alt raids. Frost seems waaaaaay better than fire at low gear levels now, but fire still scales decently.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2012-12-03 at 07:02 PM.

have any top guild mages gone arcane? how are they doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Strifus View Post

This was before the nerf...

Our mage tried frost and didnt do too bad, but it looks as though arcane will be more promising

I don't think kungen=multiple guilds
    method took 3 or 4 in their main raid

but all of that is anecdotal so far, I'd wait out this week when more logs become available from guilds on all levels of progression to see where exactly mages now are

Nobody is benching mages except for the bad ones. They're still completely fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Strifus View Post

That was before 5.1 nerfed them...

Quote Originally Posted by munchkin View Post
    This seemingly started from watching Kungen's twitch stream. They'd typically run 3-5 mages in the guild, and all of them got benched during the later half of Heart of Fear progression. Is the Sunwelling of mages on the horizon? Or can we only hope that mages start getting out of the mindset of Fire and trying out Frost and Arcane? Part of adapting?

While some mages agree the nerfs were kneejerk'ish, they fear they may not maintain their raid spots if they can't compete; they are now left to trying out Frost/Arcane on test dummies or in LFR to see if they can "make it work" in raids.

Raid leaders, are you benching your mages, or giving them time to adapt to different specs?
    Kungens guild is not high end. Why would people be concerned with what he is doing. He needs money so he plays WoW. You can be in Nihilum which is his guild for a 5 dollar donation.

also, "sunwelling" of the mages -> mages were fine in sunwell, anything else was either urban mythology or bad players with excuses.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been recruiting those mages, because mages still rock.

I played frost before it was cool, and made a lot of arguments for the spec. I recruited someone whose GM ordered him to go fire, and he refused. Now we're kind of having the last laugh here, because we're geared for frost now.

I'd suggest to all those who need to convert to remain competitive, that you work on changing your gear. Haste is really, really important so if all your gear is crit you'll need to change it, even if it means dropping a few ilvls.