Deleted

[General] The tier-wise history of mages

Just thought about the last 4 years of raiding as a mage. Correct me if I am wrong, trying to remember when I had to play which spec.

T7 starting Fire (FFB), Arcane pushed ahead somewhere in the content
    T8 Fire
    T9 Arcane, then Fire got buffed because it lacked scaling but still was behind fire mostly
    T10 Starting Arcane until T10H Gear go Fire ahead due to scaling
    T11 Fire, then Arcane pushed ahead again
    T12 Arcane, then Fire again
    T13 Fire
    T14 Fire until now

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
    Just thought about the last 4 years of raiding as a mage. Correct me if I am wrong, trying to remember when I had to play which spec.

T7 starting Fire (FFB), Arcane pushed ahead somewhere in the content
    T8 Fire
    T9 Arcane, then Fire got buffed because it lacked scaling but still was behind fire mostly
    T10 Starting Arcane until T10H Gear go Fire ahead due to scaling
    T11 Fire, then Arcane pushed ahead again
    T12 Arcane, then Fire again
    T13 Fire
    T14 Fire until now
    You never had to play any spec, I played like this
    Before T7 Frost
    T7 starting Fire (FFB) Stayed FFB
    T8 Arcane in Ulduar
    T9 Arcane
    T10 Frost
    T11 Frost
    T12 Frost
    T13 Frost
    T14 Frost
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    T10 Frost
    T11 Frost
    T12 Frost
    T13 Frost
    You gimped your raid during those Tiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    This.
    10chars

User was infracted for this post.
    Last edited by Shangalar; 2012-12-05 at 08:47 AM.

Eh? not really, T10, I was pugging with a guy who did awesome pugs on my server and he knew I was good, people saw my spec and told me to change and I challenged them to beat me on Dps. I ended up top3 in a 25 man raid every time.
    T11 Frost was on top until they nerfed Deep Freeze
    T12 Frost was better than fire once you got 4 pc.
    T13 was Dragon Soul, who gave a fuck.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Going off topic but its funny to people keep defending unordinary specs. When arcane is ahead, people are yelling "omg arcane so boring fire is da best spec eva". Fire gets a buff all happy for a month or two. Then they just start again "omg fire is so easy fireball spamzzz arcane was involving requirezzz mana management" says the guy kept telling arcane was so boring for entire tier. I just dont get it, do they get any special rewards for being unordinary or they are abused back in their childhood?

I dont know if you seen any of these types but there are plenty of them at my server a few being my guildies/ex guildies.

I agree, those people are almost as annoying as those guys who make unfounded assumptions about other people's histories and serious trauma on message boards as if belittling others made them in some way superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I agree, those people are almost as annoying as those guys who make unfounded assumptions about other people's histories and serious trauma on message boards as if belittling others made them in some way superior.
    Believe me you wouldnt defend them if you had a guildie who rerolled 3 times in the same tier just because he thinks his class is underpowered (ret>lock>rogue) and kept telling how faceroll playing an arcane mage is for 5 freaking months. I really wished him to reroll a mage and I beat him just as usual. I was the "new guy" at guild back then so couldnt make anything.

Oh them memories...

Tier 0: FIRE, YEAAAH FIREBALLS AWESOME(sorry abt caps but hey was release then and I could do fire xD)
    Tier 1: What boss immune? --> frost
    Tier 2: Still immune bosses! --> frost , But fire worked awesome on some bosses!
    Tier 2,5: Finally fire all the way!
    Tier 3: Fire, YEAH BUDDEEH
    Tier 4: What? where did my dps go? I get sat out?
    Tier 5: Water vendor status is high now, but still get some raid spots here and there
    Tier 6: Arcane here we come!.. What do you mean warlock shadowbolt debuff stacks--> sat out again
    Tier 7: Arcane yeaaah!
    Tier 8: Arcane! Fire on here and there, not super viable yet but it was getting there
    Tier 9: Arcane for dem incanters, fire here and there again
    Tier 10: Fire yeaaah, crit here, crit there, crit everywhere!
    Tier 11: What do you mean we suck again? --> frost , 4.1 came!, whii arcane buff
    Tier 12: Arcane
    Tier 13: Fire OP again!.. nerfed ---> Arcane for 3% damage buff
    Tier 14: What do you mean we suck again? --> frost , Got to around 482 Ilevel FIRE YEAAAH, come 5.1: they buffed combustion.. they must be tripping, nerf combustion and nerf critical mass and give a halfbaked reason of scaling too hard when affli was scaling as well--> Arcane, which aint the old arcane

tier 8- arcane(had crappy gear no raiding experience)
    tier 9- arcane
    tier 10- arcane at start fire by the time we reached LK normal
    tier 11- fire then arcane in 5.1
    tier 12- arcane (fire for aly)
    tier 13- fire (arcane for madness and spine)
    tier 14 arcane

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 08:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darcyn View Post
    Going off topic but its funny to people keep defending unordinary specs. When arcane is ahead, people are yelling "omg arcane so boring fire is da best spec eva". Fire gets a buff all happy for a month or two. Then they just start again "omg fire is so easy fireball spamzzz arcane was involving requirezzz mana management" says the guy kept telling arcane was so boring for entire tier. I just dont get it, do they get any special rewards for being unordinary or they are abused back in their childhood?

I dont know if you seen any of these types but there are plenty of them at my server a few being my guildies/ex guildies.
    agreed. reason i love arcane atm is HIGH skill cap for high dps
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

Deleted
    Personally I played the following, not always the best spec, I'll admit but I held my own in terms of damage:

Pre-T7 Frost
    T7 - Arcane
    T8 - Arcane
    T9 - Arcane
    T10 - Arcane / Fire (once I got a few slots that were better for fire)
    T11 - Fire (Frost for Nef & Conclave HC for kiting)
    T12 - Arcane (Fire for Alysrazor)
    T13 - Fire
    T14 - Fire

For me its easy:
    T7 Fire
    T8 Fire
    T9 Fire
    T10 Fire
    T11 Fire
    T12 Fire
    T13 Fire
    T14 Fire

I dont care what does more dps, burning my enemys to death is just my favorite flavor. ^^

tier 7 - ffb while some dabbled in arcane
    t8 - high end mages did TTW fire while arcane was also viable
    t9 - arcane cept for anub HC was FFB for the aoe
    t10 - arcane till 3.3.3 then fire
    t11 - fire then arcane got buffed in 4.1 also sinestra trinket = arcane
    t12 - arcane cept for fire for alyzrazor
    t13 - fire cept for arcane for spine
    t14 - fire till 5.1 nerf

To be honest, at the very start of T11, frost pulled ahead. I was out-dpsing my entire raid by significant amounts on certain bosses as frost.

Mostly due to arcane being kinda meh with low intellect and you only having like 13% crit back at 85-blue gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shangalar is my first character and main to this day. Started during WotLK. Consequently, I passed the entire "what the hell is this game?" phase with him, including specing Arcane for the utility talents because I thought they were the most important and skipping the two Improved Arcane Missiles talents because I hated the spell and refused to use it. My rotation when I came to level 80 (start of T9) was Blast, Fireball, Fire blast and Barrage. Then I was introduced to some people who raided as mages and learned a bit more.

If someone knows Forgotten Realms lore, in one of the Elminster novels he basically says that noobs insist on casting Fireballs thinking it can solve all of their problems, when magic is so much more. I agreed with him

T9 - Arcane
    T10 - Arcane
    T11 - Arcane (I was sure I could pull some numbers because I was good, but before the buffs it was tragic)
    T12 - Arcane / Fire on Alysrazor
    T13 - Arcane / Fire on bosses where playing anything except Fire was deterring my raid group.
    T14 - Arcane, switched to Fire when I saw it was pulling 30k+ more, now arcane again.

Almost the same as Gamdwelf:

T10 - Frost
    T11 - Frost (why the Deep Freeze nerf Blizz WHY?)
    T12 - Frost
    T13 - Frost until I got my 4pc set bonus (which sucked for Frost), tried Fire for one week but ended up Arcane for the rest
    T14 - Frost until 5.1, tried Fire last week (the Combustions where outrageous but then, you know, NERF), now back to Frost

Deleted
    For me, it was :
    T10 - Frost / Arcane for HM
    T11 - Frost
    T12 - Frost
    T13 - Arcane (T_T)
    T14 - Frost

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tier 5 was not vendor status. Tier 5 there were the Sunfire Vestments which were considerably better than tier5 for raiding Arcane, and thus Arcane Spec had a brief moment in the sun. The downside was no Stam on the pieces, and thus Mages were true Glass Cannons.

Deleted
    T0 Do a fireball, do a frostbalt BAM BOOM BANG Hit every skill in order! Sh... sheee....sheeep?!
    T1 Fireball Fireball Fireball all the way.. lets throw in a fireball and make that boss go IIIIIMMMMMUUUUNNNEEE????!!!!!
    T2 Forstbolded bosses dont say no to little raiding mages! So put em dat frost in their face
    T3 Hit 1, Hit 2, See a Tank die, Hit 1, Hit 2, Hit 1, Hit 2 Do the Hussle... Tit ti ti ti tititi ti ti
    T4 Kharazan an Mediv and stuff. FIRE!
    T5 Arcane. Whats up with that "you cast and loose more mana the more you cast" I dont get it?
    T6 Fire!
    T7 ARCANATRON IN THE HOUSE!
    T8 Can I haz fire?! PLIZ?
    T9 Arcane still Push the buttons... Push it harder! HARDER I SAID!
    T10 Lulz, look at these constant big fireballs that fly around, FUCKIN UNBALANCED FIREMAGES! Why do they alway nerv retri paladins... LOL@Melee scum!
    T11 FIRE
    T12 MOAR FIRE!
    T13 "Buwhahahahahah I shot an instant pyro at his face and then the staff procced and I shot another one right after that and than both critted an ther goes another one! OMG! It critted too..."
    T14 till nerf: "Its called !CUM BAST SHON! Guy's I use it to blow things up. Listen and repeat: CUM BAST SHON!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Eh? not really, T10, I was pugging with a guy who did awesome pugs on my server and he knew I was good, people saw my spec and told me to change and I challenged them to beat me on Dps. I ended up top3 in a 25 man raid every time.
    T11 Frost was on top until they nerfed Deep Freeze
    T12 Frost was better than fire once you got 4 pc.
    T13 was Dragon Soul, who gave a fuck.
    Did you pretty much do normal modes only? If so I could see your point.