1. #1

    Question Elemental Shaman PvE, gear help.

    Hey there.

    I just got the T14 token from LFR, but already have the valor helm "Nightwatcher's Helm" from Shado-Pan.
    And I have the T14 legs, will the 5% exstra damage on Lightning bolt from 2set and 645mastery beat the 62int, 93stam, 689spirit and the 38crit from Nightwatcher's Helm? ( http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=86631;89296 )

    And I'm also wondering what's the best choice between http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items...92.0.0.0.76628 ?

    Thank you.
    -Exeriana
    There are time when I feel I'm afraid for the world
    There are times I'm ashamed of us all
    When you're floating on all the emotion you feel
    And reflecting the good and the bad

    Iron Maiden - Blood Brothers

  2. #2
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    266
    Getting the set bonus is better than not: it's worth in the neighborhood of 500-1000 DPS, which beats ~60 int and ~100 secondary stats (worth approximately 300 dps). For the boots, they are very nearly even.

  3. #3
    Go for the 2 set. If you don't think you'll be killing Sha normal mode any time soon, you can even upgrade the LFR helm to 491.

    On the boots: Crit is your least desired stat, so a piece of a gear without Crit is generally better than one with it. On top of being better itemized (and again, upgradable), the blue boots are the clear winner as they have more Int.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Go for the 2 set. If you don't think you'll be killing Sha normal mode any time soon, you can even upgrade the LFR helm to 491.

    On the boots: Crit is your least desired stat, so a piece of a gear without Crit is generally better than one with it. On top of being better itemized (and again, upgradable), the blue boots are the clear winner as they have more Int.
    crit may be the least desirable stat, but stats these days are much closer together than they used to be, thanks to 250% crit damage. as Endus says in his guide, instead of mindlessly stacking 1 stat, like we used to do with haste, you should instead aim for hit cap and somewhat of a balance between stats.
    Because I want to say this every single day but don't want it to get a drag:
    1) The ingame store will only sell timesaver items. It won't affect balance.
    2) No, getting to 100 in half the time isn't pay2win. raids don't start until the second week, everyone has time to get there.
    4) getting charms faster is also not pay2win. getting those is easy, but not everyone has the time or want for dailies.

  5. #5
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    43
    While that is true, I have yet to see Simulationcraft stat weights for myself that puts Crit ahead of either Haste or Mastery. Crit helps your DPS and it's not horrible, but at least so far it is behind the other stats and thus I agree that all things being equal, a piece without Crit is usually better for now.

  6. #6
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    266
    Since I hit ~470 ilvl, my simcraft results have consistently put crit at < 0.05, and usually 0.01 behind haste/mastery (whichever of the two is not currently leading; haste & mastery swap back and forth damn near every time I change a piece of gear). Doing a fast sim on my 474 ilvl w/2p gear (which I presume will be close to the OP's gear) just now, I got stat weights of Int 3.20, Mastery 1.03, Haste 0.96, Crit 0.95. Since it reforges into (or out of) any secondary stat, I usually set Spirit at at or just above the highest secondary stat when doing gear comparisons (say 1.04). Even swapping secondary stat weights around in a wowhead comparison, the difference between the boots is less than 2%, which translates into less dps difference than can be accounted for by average human error.

    Bottom lines:
    Crit is a fine stat. In a two-item comparison, you really can think of all the secondary stats as being equal, and int being worth ~3.25 as much.

  7. #7
    Dreadlord zenga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    946
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikoraimi View Post
    Since I hit ~470 ilvl, my simcraft results have consistently put crit at < 0.05, and usually 0.01 behind haste/mastery (whichever of the two is not currently leading; haste & mastery swap back and forth damn near every time I change a piece of gear). Doing a fast sim on my 474 ilvl w/2p gear (which I presume will be close to the OP's gear) just now, I got stat weights of Int 3.20, Mastery 1.03, Haste 0.96, Crit 0.95. Since it reforges into (or out of) any secondary stat, I usually set Spirit at at or just above the highest secondary stat when doing gear comparisons (say 1.04). Even swapping secondary stat weights around in a wowhead comparison, the difference between the boots is less than 2%, which translates into less dps difference than can be accounted for by average human error.

    Bottom lines:
    Crit is a fine stat. In a two-item comparison, you really can think of all the secondary stats as being equal, and int being worth ~3.25 as much.
    When you give stat weighs it's important to mention what build you use. Prime Fire Ele does not benefit from mastery, where elemental blast can overload. Depending on the talent you chose you'll get different stat weighs.

  8. #8
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    266
    I've got Primal Elementalist. I got these numbers simming my gear/spec as found in the armory.

  9. #9
    I've just simmed the T14H elemental with elemental blast BiS list according to Simcraft, and it sims crit at 1.49, mastery at 1.51 and haste at 1.29. so one of 3 choices: either there's a bug in simcraft and it doesn't work properly; or this is a freak incident involving the specific settings and gear setup, or there's an as of yet unknown factor influencing these results.
    Because I want to say this every single day but don't want it to get a drag:
    1) The ingame store will only sell timesaver items. It won't affect balance.
    2) No, getting to 100 in half the time isn't pay2win. raids don't start until the second week, everyone has time to get there.
    4) getting charms faster is also not pay2win. getting those is easy, but not everyone has the time or want for dailies.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    I've just simmed the T14H elemental with elemental blast BiS list according to Simcraft, and it sims crit at 1.49, mastery at 1.51 and haste at 1.29. so one of 3 choices: either there's a bug in simcraft and it doesn't work properly; or this is a freak incident involving the specific settings and gear setup, or there's an as of yet unknown factor influencing these results.
    my sim actually jumps back and forth from being haste>mastery>crit to mastery>crit>haste pretty frequently when i get new gear. Usually will occur with multiple sims in a row until i change gear again. I'm also using elemental blast.

  11. #11
    Thank you for the help.

    At the moment I'm Elemental Blast specced and using the stat priority: Int > Spirit/Hit Cap 15% > Haste >= Mastery > Crit
    Reforging Crit to Spirit > Haste > Mastery.
    There are time when I feel I'm afraid for the world
    There are times I'm ashamed of us all
    When you're floating on all the emotion you feel
    And reflecting the good and the bad

    Iron Maiden - Blood Brothers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •