Have race models been updated yet?

So pretty much updated race models would actually bring me back to the game, so I just come back every once in a while to see if it's been done yet. I couldn't find anything on any of the patch notes, so I imagine it hasn't been done yet. Has there been any further word on when? Or if the idea's been scrapped completely?

10+ Year Old Account
    *Takes a look ingame*

Nope.

Honestly, if they were going to it would be announced on the front page and all over.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Honestly, if they were going to it would be announced on the front page and all over.
    Pretty much this. If new models were coming, they would be in the PTR. And then someone in the PTR would make a thread about it and it would spread like wildfire. Then it would be in the new patchnotes and get more noticed. Then 2M PvPers would simultaneously jump out and makes threads about how Blizz hates them by making new race models and not fixing PvP. Then the hardcores would ask why the new models weren't gated behind rep or something.

Gives me a headache just thinking about it lol

A brief snippet is on the front page

New Character Models
    New character models haven't been forgotten and are still being worked on. Our artists aren't ready to reveal what they got yet. When they're ready, you'll know!
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    I know that they are hard at work with the new models but if this gets scrapped like the Dance Studio, tables will be flipped.
    Host of the 2 Year Livestream Challenge http://www.twitch.tv/inexpensivegamer Gaming like the cheap asshat I am

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't really get why its taken so long for this to actually happen, and why they didn't just do it during Caty. Who are all these people who are so in love with their Orcs Hexagonial eyes and giant Human hands that they'll rage if they're changed...

Also, poor Tauren manes... I can see all 12 of the pixels..

Quote Originally Posted by Ticktox View Post
    So pretty much updated race models would actually bring me back to the game, so I just come back every once in a while to see if it's been done yet. I couldn't find anything on any of the patch notes, so I imagine it hasn't been done yet. Has there been any further word on when? Or if the idea's been scrapped completely?
    At this point, I expect that they will come in the next expansion, but certainly not before that. We'll get that instead of a new race or class I think.

On a side note, why would new character models be the one thing that brought you back? It's not going to be THAT huge of an update. They will still look basically the same, most likely. More expressive faces and smoother animations for sure. But the races themselves are not going to look radically different. And we certainly are not getting anything like WoW-HD.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    At this point, I expect that they will come in the next expansion, but certainly not before that. We'll get that instead of a new race or class I think.

On a side note, why would new character models be the one thing that brought you back? It's not going to be THAT huge of an update. They will still look basically the same, most likely. More expressive faces and smoother animations for sure. But the races themselves are not going to look radically different. And we certainly are not getting anything like WoW-HD.
    It's important to some people. Me being one of them. I have a hard time playing outdated games graphics wise. Any game really, all the games I used to love back in the day, I just can't pickup anymore because of how it looks. The game overall looks good enough to play, but the old race models just drive me nuts. Especially with how beautiful some of the MMO's that are coming out now it's hard to even consider playing this again.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's important to some people. Me being one of them. I have a hard time playing outdated games graphics wise. Any game really, all the games I used to love back in the day, I just can't pickup anymore because of how it looks. The game overall looks good enough to play, but the old race models just drive me nuts. Especially with how beautiful some of the MMO's that are coming out now it's hard to even consider playing this again.
    I can agree with parts of this.

Most Vanilla models just look like PS2 graphics. This is just something that should have been updated a long time ago with all seriousness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verksus View Post
    I can agree with parts of this.

Most Vanilla models just look like PS2 graphics. This is just something that should have been updated a long time ago with all seriousness.
    Very true. A friend of mine claimed his only reason he doesn't play WoW is due to the dated graphics. I get that, but models shouldn't keep you from enjoying a game. I mean damn, look at Minecraft. Looks like NES graphics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerofpope View Post
    Very true. A friend of mine claimed his only reason he doesn't play WoW is due to the dated graphics. I get that, but models shouldn't keep you from enjoying a game. I mean damn, look at Minecraft. Looks like NES graphics.
    Oh yeah I still play from time to time when i'm not working. But my main is a Troll and a little tweak would be much appreciated to the Vanilla models.

A lot of other things are more important for sure. But at this point it just reminds me of finals week when I was in college. "Well... i'll just put this off till next expansion because I want to go do this instead" type of deal.

Ok I get that. I guess my confusion come from the near certain fact that their look isn't going to change that much. I guess my point was that if the current vanilla models are what is keeping you from playing now, the updated ones are likely not going to be different enough to override that, given that the overall graphical style is not likely to change. Humans will look more like Varian, less like styrofoam cutouts. Orcs will look more like Garrosh/Thrall. But it's not like we are going to suddenly have character models with Rift/Aion level detail.

*shrug* If thats enough for you to feel comfortable playing again, more power to you. Just seems like a pretty small detail if you are OK with the overall graphical quality of the rest of the game.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I never understood why the models matter..... once you gear up you no longer see it anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    I never understood why the models matter..... once you gear up you no longer see it anyways.
    Maybe I don't want my Horde characters to have scoliosis anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    Ok I get that. I guess my confusion come from the near certain fact that their look isn't going to change that much. I guess my point was that if the current vanilla models are what is keeping you from playing now, the updated ones are likely not going to be different enough to override that, given that the overall graphical style is not likely to change. Humans will look more like Varian, less like styrofoam cutouts. Orcs will look more like Garrosh/Thrall. But it's not like we are going to suddenly have character models with Rift/Aion level detail.

*shrug* If thats enough for you to feel comfortable playing again, more power to you. Just seems like a pretty small detail if you are OK with the overall graphical quality of the rest of the game.
    Every now and then you take a look at your character and you really want to say things like, man my characters a bad###, or man my guy looks cool, or man my character is sexy. I simply cant do that, and that has to be one of the most important reasons I play a game. If my character doesn't look cool, I don't see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    You must not play undead, you still see those square bones pretty well. Plus I don't always like wearing a ridiculous helmet. I prefer most of my characters naked heads. Unless it's just a cool hood or something that doesn't entirely cover it.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Every now and then you take a look at your character and you really want to say things like, man my characters a bad###, or man my guy looks cool, or man my character is sexy. I simply cant do that, and that has to be one of the most important reasons I play a game. If my character doesn't look cool, I don't see the point.

You must not play undead, you still see those square bones pretty well. Plus I don't always like wearing a ridiculous helmet. I prefer most of my characters naked heads. Unless it's just a cool hood or something that doesn't entirely cover it.
    I really can't comment on it. To me it's a waste of time as 99% of the model is covered anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerofpope View Post
    I think part of the issue for some people is likely the inconsistency. Back when WoW was first released, sure it didn't look great, but it wasn't terrible either, by the standards of the day. Now though, with every new expansion upping the graphics output and requirements, it's obvious when a model was created. You can just look at any "doodad" and be "Oh, that's a WotLK model, it's about 3 years old now" or whatever. This only makes the old models more obviously dated and can kind of make some things in the world pretty jarring, like running across Vanilla mining and herbing nodes on the Wandering Isle.
    Games like Minecraft or Realm of the Mad God etc. though, sure they look dated (intentionally), but they're totally consistent about it. You never get the feeling "I really like this new model, I wish the old ones were of this quality" because all the models are of the same quality.

Frankly if they only updated mechanics and not graphics with every expansion, we probably wouldn't be having such an issue over this.

I am quite excited for them when they come though. It seems like this game has just turned me into a model/graphics hound and I'm always ogling the next new datamined models. I'm not expecting them 'til the next expansion at least, but I'm still hoping they'll come sometime during MoP, even if just at the end. The big question for me though is which'll come first, new Moonkin form, or will it just be held back and released with the player models now that it's taken so long?

Different people have different opinions on what is important. For me models don't make a bit of difference, I still play and enjoy SNES games regularly, but I understand why it is a major stumbling block for other players. Everybody has different priorities for what is important in a game
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    Then 2M PvPers would simultaneously jump out and makes threads about how Blizz hates them by making new race models and not fixing PvP. Then the hardcores would ask why the new models weren't gated behind rep or something.
    This is exactly how it's gonna be.