Coming back after a long time vacation!

So I left with FULL heroic raiding gear with my DK back in Wrath. I never played or leveled past that xpac. However this coming week I'm building an ew gaming rig and looking to return to WoW. So I ask you what are the major changes? I plan to stick it out with Frost (2H!) and dump my heroic 1H's that I currently have. Any advice is welcome! I do have a few epic 2H's that I plan to use while leveling and what not.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Coming from a not-so-pro DK main player, I can say that it no longer matters to pick threat of thassarian or might of the frozen wastes speaking of frost so your free to choose however in pvp there are many theories that state DW is better and others that state 2H but I'd say 2H is better against light class armor and unholy which I believe was generally known a semi-hybrid? tanking spec is no longer there its all blood now and what else can I say? All talents have been toned down so that a 5 year old can pick whats better and whats not.

I really cant think anything else since I'm playing mostly PvE on my DK and from what I see it seems that DW Frost seems to be top DPS nowadays and you'd mostly wanna go haste with it and 2H IF you wanna pvp with it then with the new addition of mastery which for us increases frost damage. Unholy's state I cant really judge right now but I can say that its in a poor state atm pvp (unless your top skilled) and pve wise. As for blood its doing fine I guess and I must say with the mastery in which we get an absorption shield that absorbs all dmg and increases as your mastery does but doesnt work against players which is a + for us tanking

Firstly: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...hange-overview

That is a very in depth guide about all of the changes that will affect you if you were to log in today. I would reccommend looking through that to get a feel for what's up.

Secondly, ignore what enchanted said to an extent. If you decide you would like to go DW, you would want to play what is commonly refered to as "masterfrost" which focuses on having a high amount of mastery - the new stat that increases frost damage done (aka howling blast and frost strike.

You no longer need to choose between DW or 2H via talents, rather you just gain that benefit based solely on what you have equipped.

Thirdly, the biggest change you will be concerned with is how runes regenerate. You can now only have 1 rune of a type recharging at a time, makes the gameplay slightly slower and a little more planned.

My biggest suggestion would be heading to EJ and reading up on a frost guide as of MoP to get a feel of how things happen now and then ask questions based on your findings/play when you get back.

Lastly, hold on to all of your gear, there is a new feature - transmogrification - which allows you to change the look of your current gear to any gear you have in your bags, matches the type that you're wearing, and that you could equip and heroic ICC had nice gear. Other than that get back in it, welcome back, and have fun.

Cheers,
    Regen
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Thank you both for awesome replies! I hope to be logging in this week sometime. Today Newegg should ship my parts and I hope they all come in working order! Pretty excited to be back. i will play with both specs. But 2H frost better for leveling currently?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    Firstly: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...hange-overview

That is a very in depth guide about all of the changes that will affect you if you were to log in today. I would reccommend looking through that to get a feel for what's up.

Secondly, ignore what enchanted said to an extent. If you decide you would like to go DW, you would want to play what is commonly refered to as "masterfrost" which focuses on having a high amount of mastery - the new stat that increases frost damage done (aka howling blast and frost strike.
    Well I didnt know that since most probably I got used to the old cata way since I dinged 90, I've decided to take a short break from WoW so I didnt really know those slight changes and went 2H awell sorry for the mismatched info :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rallaster View Post
    Thank you both for awesome replies! I hope to be logging in this week sometime. Today Newegg should ship my parts and I hope they all come in working order! Pretty excited to be back. i will play with both specs. But 2H frost better for leveling currently?
    2H frost is easier/better for leveling as most of it's damage is based off of weapon damage, and weapon is one of the easier things to keep up with (hell there's a level 85 mace that has near 5man heroic iLvl you can buy). And it's playstyle is a little quicker, per say, where you would be running up and just using your "strikes" to burn things rather than your frost damage which can be more dependent on other gear. So it would be easier yes.

The new Might of the Frozen Wastes and Threat of Thalassian both do different things now. Rather than X damage with 1h/2h equipped, you get them both baseline, and with MFW you get 45% damage on Obliterate (making haste very valuable for more of those) and with ToT you get 45% FS damage, making mastery more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
    Well I didnt know that since most probably I got used to the old cata way since I dinged 90, I've decided to take a short break from WoW so I didnt really know those slight changes and went 2H awell sorry for the mismatched info :P
    It's fine. That way certainly works, it's just not "optimal". With DW and the ToT bonus to FS, having a high amount of mastery and using Howling Blast and Frost strike as much as possible is the best way to do that.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.