Page 1 of 3
LastLast

NSA Whistleblower Admits Massive Government Spying

Saw this on youtube and thought I should share. It scares me and it should scare you.

Deleted
    Didn't watch the video, but surely the William-guy would get murdered by some government agency if he revealed stuff like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Didn't watch the video, but surely the William-guy would get murdered by some government agency if he revealed stuff like this?
    Eh, I don't think we've executed someone for treason in a while. He's going against the NDA's you sign when you are permitted access to classified information. I'm sure he will be charged under the Espionage Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Nah, they have to do it before he reveals it. Else he becomes a martyr.

If you cut out someones tongue it shows that you are afraid what they might say

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    If you cut out someones tongue it shows that you are afraid what they might say
    Yes, well, not in public obviously, he'll be on "extended leave" or some shit like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmm.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...nsadatacenter/

It's worrying when he states they retroactively analyse the data once you are in their sights.

Yeah, the fact that you're hearing his story means he's safe. It's the ones who's stories you don't hear that should worry you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    "Patriotic sounding name, Terrorist Surveillance Program"

You can get support for anything just by shouting the word 'terrorist' in the US, can't you
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Wasn't this the plot of a few Newsroom episodes?

Its Russia Today.
    Same level as Daily Mail.
    So yea, they can stick their "sensation" somewhere dark...

This thread reminds me of this TV show. However as far as I can recall, wireless transmission isn't protected under the "Right to Privacy" in the USA.

http://rt.com/news/children-at-risk-data-522/

Happening in the UK too

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 07:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Its Russia Today.
    Same level as Daily Mail.
    So yea, they can stick their "sensation" somewhere dark...
    RT is more credible than any major American news outlet, which is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    Yeah, the fact that you're hearing his story means he's safe. It's the ones who's stories you don't hear that should worry you.
    Safe from clandestine execution, but not safe from being locked up indefinitely without trial in direct violation of the Constitution as an "enemy of the state". And neither mainstream party has a problem with that.

When a Republican administration does the sort of things our government does, the Democrats throw a fit. When the Democrats do it, the Republicans throw a fit. Neither of them acknowledge what a double standard it is. They're only against flagrant abuse of government power when they aren't the ones running the government.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I don't doubt it, but my only thought about this video is get a real lighting director lady. The way the lighting is set up now it casts weird shadows on your face that make you look like you have one terribly uneven eyebrow.

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 02:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    "Patriotic sounding name, Terrorist Surveillance Program"

You can get support for anything just by shouting the word 'terrorist' in the US, can't you
    Ya pretty much. We have sacrificed tons of personal liberty for the illusion that we are safer from random terrorist attacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redriot View Post
    Eh, I don't think we've executed someone for treason in a while. He's going against the NDA's you sign when you are permitted access to classified information. I'm sure he will be charged under the Espionage Act.
    I think if the stuff he was blowing the whistle on was illegal, he's legally protected in blowing the whistle. If he was sharing state secrets that weren't illegal he'd be screwed though.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Before even watching the video, I was thinking of the insane amount of money that could be used for education and healthcare if Homeland Security, NSA etc etc was shut down. (Keeping FBI / CIA as they are though)

Deleted
    is that a Microsoft surface shes using ?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does anything seen or heard on the video actually surprise anyone? Do people really think governments really respect privacy or require warrants? Wake up and smell the coffee...

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably just have an 'accident' or die of some medical illness like a heart attack or something.

Quote Originally Posted by sscavenger View Post
    Probably just have an 'accident' or die of some medical illness like a heart attack or something.
    oh yeah, that'll shut the conspiracy theory crowd right up