Deleted

More customizable JRPG-like game?

Okay, the title is confusing, I know, couldn't come up with anything better though.

I love how JRPGs play, as in turn-based battles ala SNES Final Fantasy games/PSX Final Fantasy games, but I hate how you can't really create your own characters, you have to customize the characters with their own personalities and everything, and it's boring. Basically, a JRPG-gameplay game with more immersion to it rather than story. Anyone know of any?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good question sir.

At first i thought you meant more like crafting and such, but i see that you mean Avatar Customization. I really have not seen a JRPG that you can modify the way the character looks.

As for crafting, Legend of Mana. Hands Down best crafting system for it's time, and still better than most games today. Not really a turn based JRPG, more of an Action JRPG.

I really would love to see a Turn Based JRPG with Avatar Customization and armor that changes what your Avatar wears.

Dragon Quest 9 is exactly what you want. Customization is AMAZING, and it really feels like an old school RPG. Granted, you can't really customize your personality, but, the appearance, class direction, and even armor is customizable, and the amount of different sets is pretty impressive. Also, team members are customizable as well in the same way.

One of the best JRPGs I've played, I don't think it gets as much credit as it deserves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I really would love to see a Turn Based JRPG with Avatar Customization and armor that changes what your Avatar wears.
    Look no further. DQ9 has both of those.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2012-12-03 at 09:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Dragon Quest 9 is exactly what you want. Customization is AMAZING, and it really feels like an old school RPG. Granted, you can't really customize your personality, but, the appearance, class direction, and even armor is customizable, and the amount of different sets is pretty impressive. Also, team members are customizable as well in the same way.

One of the best JRPGs I've played, I don't think it gets as much credit as it deserves.

Look no further. DQ9 has both of those.
    Nice! Good catch Digglet! Just means i'm gonna need to dust off my DS and go buy a charger, lol. Curious how far your knowledge goes here. Know of any that are a little more modern? Perhaps Xbox 360 release?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Nice! Good catch Digglet! Just means i'm gonna need to dust off my DS and go buy a charger, lol. Curious how far your knowledge goes here. Know of any that are a little more modern? Perhaps Xbox 360 release?
    Not very far, that's sadly the only one I know of which lets you customize so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Not very far, that's sadly the only one I know of which lets you customize so much.
    Worth a shot = ) I'm a huge 8/16 bit fan boy, i have no problem playing Dragons Quest IX on my DS, lol. Looks like i'm headed back to Game Stop on the 15th when i get my next pay check lol.

I was going to suggest DQ9 as well. Great minds and all that mess.

/brofist to Digglett

I'd suggest DQ 9 as well.

Also there are Etrian Odyssey series, you can build your party from 0 (but they don't have any kind of appearance change as what Kathandria means). But it has big accent on "dungeon crawling" aspect.

Also not JRPG, but it is quite close in mechanics approach, old Might and Magic games. You can create characters from pure zero in every game. Games VI, VII and VIII have decent paper-dolls (it's first person view games, so you can't see your chars directly), noted it for Kathandria. I would recommend MM 7 from customization point of view. But please, skip on 9th part of series - it was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Dragon Quest IX would definitely be up your alley, but give Etrian Odyssey III a shot if you can. EO3 is one of the best handheld RPGs ever made IMO.
    Radiant Historia is a really really good handheld JRPG as well, if you're planning on divulging in more DS RPGs, play that as well. And Rune Factory 3. :> (Well.. it's not turn base, but you should still play it)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    I was going to suggest DQ9 as well. Great minds and all that mess.

/brofist to Digglett
    ◕ ◡ ◕
    Last edited by Digglett; 2012-12-04 at 01:32 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been looking for the same myself lately.

Got all excited when you said DQ9.

Looked it up and saw it was Nintendo DS only.

Well fuck.. there goes my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post

You can always emulate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post

Getting an original DS is pretty cheap, more so if you buy one used. I think i bought mine for $40 a few years ago. Even if you only have a small hand full of games, it is a worthy purchase. I only own two games, Pokemon Pearl and FF Tactics A2. The DS has saved me in quite a few boring times, long road trips, sun bathing at the beach or even when taking a crap, lol.

Add to add, the games are SUPER cheap. you can go to Game Stop and buy 6 games for about $20 lol. Granted they are older and possibly used, but when the machine you are playing on is limited hardware wise, it doesn't matter what the graphical quality is. It's all about the game play, which Nintendo has always been the best at.

I'd say give it a shot if it is affordable, worse comes to worse it'll collect dust on a shelf somewhere for 10 years. But on that 10th year when you find it, you will have hours of fun waiting under that thick sheet of dust. ; )