Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ...
18
26
27
28
29
30
... LastLast
  1. #541
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    No.

    After a switch from clicking to keybinds there is a transition-period where you'll perform worse than before. For some people that period lasts longer than for others, it can be smoothed, etc, but the fact is that switching to keybinds will initially hurt your performance.

    Is that worth it? Depends how much time/effort you invest in the game - how casual you are.

    My ilvl is 453, after hitting 90 in less than a week, so you can imagine how rarely I do a dungeon - and can't even get into LFR. I have everything keybound, but if I were a clicker, it would make no sense for me to switch.
    I thought that was implied, seeing as how you can't start something new and be automatically be good at it. Given the effort though to really try and keybind i'm pretty sure everyone will come to find it's better, that was the way it was for all of my friends too.

  2. #542
    The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Basking in the Light
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    There is a difference between people saying 'I like to play this way' and 'this way is better'.

    If you want to claim clicking is more fun to you that's fine. But....that's about the only thing it is. I'm not sure tactical means what you think it means if you think clicking icons is more tactical than keybinding.
    Again, that's YOUR definition for defending YOUR preference.

    YOU can't get over it's tactical due to bias, because the premise to YOU is keybinding is more tactical -- it isn't. It's the next step towards automation where toons are but bots.

    Some people are better at clicking as that's something they really prefer, and yes, it's much more fun (more so taking down someone with 80 keybinds!).
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

  3. #543
    The Lightbringer foxHeart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Inside Jabu-jabu's Belly
    Posts
    3,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    I already posted that I've used keybinds, but it's not my preference...and never will be. It's a boring way to play in a game getting more boring each patch, that clicking actively is about what keeps me awake.
    According to your armory, you've not cleared any current raid content besides Sha of Anger (which btw isn't really content considering people 40-man it and run back to their corpses multiple times over and over during the course of the fight). So what content are you participating in that's "so ZZZzzzzzZZZ easy"? Because heroic instances have not been hard whatsoever even since launch. I'm curious here, really. But then again, I'm trying to make sense of someone who is claiming they choose to "purposely" (which I think you're probably just bad at binds) cripple their own performance in order to make the game "more interesting"? Lost cause.

    brb farming herbs with one hand. Cause this game is sooooo EZ MODE.
    Look! Words!

  4. #544
    Fluffy Kitten Cambria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rapture
    Posts
    9,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Again, that's YOUR definition for defending YOUR preference.

    YOU can't get over it's tactical due to bias, because the premise to YOU is keybinding is more tactical -- it isn't. It's the next step towards automation where toons are but bots.

    Some people are better at clicking as that's something they really prefer, and yes, it's much more fun (more so taking down someone with 80 keybinds!).
    So you think clicking 1, 2 or 3 is more tactical than hitting 1, 2 or 3 with your finger? If you think keybinding is anywhere near what botting is, it's pretty obvious you haven't keybinded before.

    I think you are mixing binding and macroing up...these aren't the same thing. Binding is no more automated than clicking. You choose the spell you want, you click or press it.

    Again, I really don't think tactical means what you think it means or you are actually considering what you are claiming.

  5. #545
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    11,198
    So maybe instead of "yuh huh it is" and "nuh uh it isn't" over the description of one's strategy being "tactical" we explain what exactly we mean by using the word in that way? I'm fluent in English and this debate still seems to not make much sense.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxArleeSimcaElysiaZaelsino

  6. #546
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    Nothing tactical about it. You click because you never got used to keybinding so can't see how drastic the difference. You will absolutely never hear someone say 'they learned how to keybind correctly and got used to it and went back to clicking due to anything other than just being lazy, knowing that binding was obviously better.

    Let's be honestly, almost all of us who have been gaming for a long time clicked and none of us knew how insanely bad it was until we finally made ourselves switch.
    It is easy for ppl trying to switch from clicking to keybinding to feel overwhelmed. I often suggest to ppl to bind a few functions or abilities at a time in batches of 3 to 5 things. Get used to only using the keybinds for them even if it gimps you in the short term. Run the crap out of dungeons, go get your ass kicked in pvp whatever you will get used to it. Once those become 2nd nature add some more. Eventually you will get to a point where you have bound all the things you are going to want or need to. It really does make a world of difference. Adding in macro modifiers is also a huge improvement jump for ppl. For example I use one of my center mouse buttons to silience/interupt on all toons, shift and that key hexes/sheeps whatever if classes have that and alt and that key will hex/sheep my focus while ctrl and that key will silience/interupt my focus. That alone was a 200 point jump in arena ratings when I stumbled across doing that.

    There is a part of me that thinks some ppl just click and keyboard turn and refuse to change out of fear. Now if they mess up they have a tried and true fall back reason. If they make the switch over and screw up it is on them. Sure it is a stupid reason, but it really seems to fit.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

  7. #547
    The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Basking in the Light
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    So you think clicking 1, 2 or 3 is more tactical than hitting 1, 2 or 3 with your finger? If you think keybinding is anywhere near what botting is, it's pretty obvious you haven't keybinded before.
    How would you know, Myrrar? Inside my head and know my complete life history?

    You don't know what I've done nor used, all you can do is assume.

    For example, I used to use the n52 (do you know what that is? It's a game controller). Last year I even got a gaming glove. Do you know why folks would even bother to get such items?

    Or will you just assume because it's more comfortable to you?
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

  8. #548
    This is madness - moderator please close this nonsense

  9. #549
    Fluffy Kitten Cambria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rapture
    Posts
    9,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    How would you know, Myrrar? Inside my head and know my complete life history?

    You don't know what I've done nor used, all you can do is assume.

    For example, I used to use the n52 (do you know what that is? It's a game controller). Last year I even got a gaming glove. Do you know why folks would even bother to get such items?

    Or will you just assume because it's more comfortable to you?
    It's pretty obvious you're trolling so *mod hat on*:
    Enough...

  10. #550
    The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Basking in the Light
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    This is madness - moderator please close this nonsense
    Making assumptions based on biases can and will backfire.

    People here are more into defining their view as better and trying to enforce their view, and assuming things patently untrue in the process, as it's easier than to acknowledge, that yes, clicking can really be a preference.

    They want to dictate the dicussion and how the game is played, yet failing to realize that makes gaming worse in the end.

    I've done both. But as I said many pages ago, clicking is a preference...20 pages later, and 20 moderators later, it's still a preference.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

  11. #551
    Fluffy Kitten Cambria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rapture
    Posts
    9,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Making assumptions based on biases can and will backfire.

    People here are more into defining their view as better and trying to enforce their view, and assuming things patently untrue in the process, as it's easier than to acknowledge, that yes, clicking can really be a preference.

    They want to dictate the dicussion and how the game is played, yet failing to realize that makes gaming worse in the end.

    I've done both. But as I said many pages ago, clicking is a preference...20 pages later, and 20 moderators later, it's still a preference.
    No, you are just completely off-topic. The topic is about pros and cons of clicking vs binding. You want to tell everyone they're wrong about what is better because you LIKE you play a certain way. Saying the sky isn't normally blue because you like the few times it's purple isn't really a solid argument.

    You like to click, we get it. You don't care what's best for being efficient or playing, you like to click because it's more fun. No offense, but no one really cares since it's not the point of the topic. It's like going into a thread about mage theorycrafting and telling everyone they're wrong because spamming ice lance over and over is more fun.

    So again, enough. Get back on topic.

  12. #552
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Making assumptions based on biases can and will backfire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    They want to dictate the dicussion and how the game is played, yet failing to realize that makes gaming worse in the end.
    Maybe take a little of your own advice there instead of preaching the gaming apocalypse based on a few people who don't agree with you that clicking is any more "tactical" or "fun".

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 12:00 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    No, you are just completely off-topic. The topic is about pros and cons of clicking vs binding. You want to tell everyone they're wrong about what is better because you LIKE you play a certain way. Saying the sky isn't normally blue because you like the few times it's purple isn't really a solid argument.

    You like to click, we get it. You don't care what's best for being efficient or playing, you like to click because it's more fun. No offense, but no one really cares since it's not the point of the topic. It's like going into a thread about mage theorycrafting and telling everyone they're wrong because spamming ice lance over and over is more fun.

    So again, enough. Get back on topic.

    ... I love you.

  13. #553
    Herald of the Titans Injin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    No, you are just completely off-topic. The topic is about pros and cons of clicking vs binding. You want to tell everyone they're wrong about what is better because you LIKE you play a certain way. Saying the sky isn't normally blue because you like the few times it's purple isn't really a solid argument.

    You like to click, we get it. You don't care what's best for being efficient or playing, you like to click because it's more fun. No offense, but no one really cares since it's not the point of the topic. It's like going into a thread about mage theorycrafting and telling everyone they're wrong because spamming ice lance over and over is more fun.

    So again, enough. Get back on topic.
    Clicking is better the more social you are (and therefore the more typing you do.)

    And let's face it, most rotations in wow simply aren't complicated enough to make keybinding so massively superior either. Yes, keybinding will see an improvement in performance, but due to the hard limits of wow itself and other factors such as why you play wow in the first place it really is a toss up. Most rotations you can put the buttons next to each other and perform while reading chat and replying to it as you play.
    http://secretgl.wordpress.com/

    Guild Blog for <Debonair> EU, Zenedar.

  14. #554
    The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Basking in the Light
    Posts
    3,255
    No, you're just trolling and have already been asked to stop. So stop.
    Last edited by Cambria; 2012-12-05 at 01:50 AM.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

  15. #555
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    It's v-e-r-y tactical.

    Keybinding is a lazy way to play, by people who can't click fast enough.
    I just about punched my keyboard. Convinced you're trolling now.

  16. #556
    TASTES GREAT!

    LESS FILLING!

    TASTES GREAT!

    LESS FILLING!

    Summary of this thread, hopefully some of you are old enough to recognize that line
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

  17. #557
    The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Basking in the Light
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalVocalMix View Post
    I just about punched my keyboard. Convinced you're trolling now.
    "Condemnation before investigation, is the highest form of ignorance"
    ~Albert Einstein

    It only looks like trolling to you guys, as I'm willing to defend my preference in a den of lions, too oblivious of choices.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

  18. #558
    Bloodsail Admiral ranku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    651
    honestly as i have said before, it all depends on how you memorize your abilities. if you know where everything is then you can reach the "oh shit" cooldown that you need with a twitch of the thumb no matter where it is and then click it. the entire process takes 0.1 seconds to realize what ability is needed and another 0.1 seconds to travel and click. it all depends on how well you know what you are doing.

    also just thought of something, keybinds must be hard on altaholics. basically have to relearn what buttons do what when you switch to the one you haven't used in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

  19. #559
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    "Condemnation before investigation, is the highest form of ignorance"
    ~Albert Einstein

    It only looks like trolling to you guys, as I'm willing to defend my preference in a den of lions, too oblivious of choices.
    I have investigated, I used to click. It is in no way more tactical than keybinding.

  20. #560
    Bloodsail Admiral ranku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    651
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalVocalMix View Post
    I have investigated, I used to click. It is in no way more tactical than keybinding.
    point is that typicality is a matter of opinion so can we please drop that flame war?
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •