Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    If you click then you can't move your character unless you move with WASD...

do people really still move with WASD? o.o

The idea that I see repeated here often times, that "I've been doing it forever, it works, and even though I know it's a disadvantage, I'm not going to relearn" is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've heard (I wanted to use more colorful adjectives but didn't).

That's like saying, "Yeah, I learned how to ride horses, it gets me from point A to point B, I can't be bothered to learn to drive one of those au-toe-moe-beel dohickies."

Everyone, including the clickers, pretty much all agree that clicking is slower, more prone to errors, takes your eyes off the action, and in general is bad. There is absolutely nothing good about clicking over keybinds, other than some people who can't be bothered with a 2 hour learning curve. I do not know a single player, and I challenge anyone here to say otherwise, of a clicker who learned keybinding, then went back to clicking. They simply do not exist, because keybinding is better in every situation and context. I normally do not make blanket statements like, but in this case, a blanket statement is absolutely warranted.

To the OP: I know you want a counterargument, but there just isn't any, sorry dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmathe1988 View Post
    I am a clicker as well, I would say because we drag our mouse to click all the abilities...doing so takes time to get from 1 ability to the other, where as keybinding is damn near instant.
    That depends on how you setup your UI.

I have mine setup to be quick in clicking (all my healing abilities are right next to the heal box, so clicking is as fast as moving a hand to a keybind, if not faster as the #9 key is pretty far away from #1).

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 09:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by phayze View Post
    The idea that I see repeated here often times, that "I've been doing it forever, it works, and even though I know it's a disadvantage, I'm not going to relearn" is one of the most ridiculous arguments I've heard (I wanted to use more colorful adjectives but didn't).
    Actually, ask Microsoft why Windows XP remains popular even to this day, despite Windows 7.

It's because Windows XP was out for so long and people got used to it. People (and especially businesses) don't like "down time" trying to relearn. Just look at the flak MS got over Windows 8, they had to add a START button to it.

It's just human nature, and any game design has to factor that in.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    How much of your normal dps are you able to preform during attenuation on vizier?
    You're not supposed to dps during attenuation, you're supposed to run with the pattern, so that you don't get hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetriss View Post
    I am doing a research paper on how clicking is less efficient than keybinding. I need a counterargument to the positives of clicking, and i also need reasons why clicking is worse than keybinding. I was hoping i could come here to get some ideas from you guys.
    Do user research. What you get here isn't data, it's opinions. Setup a UI that's decent for clicking and measure things. Failing the ability to do that, google and see if someone's done that research.

Few things:

-Minimal control of your character. When clicking, you must use your WASD (or whatever you have it bound to) to walk around. This leads to slow reactions, especially when trying to turn.
    -Clicking requires much more attention. When you're analyzing your attacks you could easily not notice that you are standing in fire. This also leads to an (potential) amount of time wasted by hovering from button 1 to button 9. This has the potential of not maximizing.
    -Keybinds are far easier to memorize than a location on a screen, leading to much quicker reaction times for, let's say, cooldowns.

Not very aware of any "pros" of clicking.
    Last edited by Chaochamp; 2012-12-04 at 02:21 AM.

Clicking frees up keybinds and gives you less to memorize. It's a lot easier, especially for visual people who have a hard time remembering where everything is bound. It means that you don't have to feel like you need to "study" and memorize your key bindings when you're plying a game for fun.

It also makes it easier to multitask with a free hand while playing.

Keybinding is, of course, faster and more efficient and often frees up screen space.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    You're not supposed to dps during attenuation, you're supposed to run with the pattern, so that you don't get hit.

The pattern is just a spiral, so it's very easy, even as a clicker, to strafe it while dpsing using your instant casts and abilities that can be cast while moving. Even for melee, his hitbox is massive.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Do user research. What you get here isn't data, it's opinions. Setup a UI that's decent for clicking and measure things. Failing the ability to do that, google and see if someone's done that research.
    Also, this. Please don't try to cite the responses in this post as actual research. It's all our opinions and anecdotal evidence. You should really do your own testing.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2012-12-04 at 02:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    Not very aware of any "pros" of clicking.
    Keys of 1-0 say, "Hi".

I have more than 1-0 abilities to click, and in the thick of battle I can't be bogged down with SHIFT+ALT+1 key to do my job. Thus, I have all the heal buttons right next to the healbox, and it's faster to click those, than to remember what the CTRL+SHIFT+7 key is bound too. And guess what? I can jump around very easily out of fire, as must of my abilities can't be used while moving anyway!

Clicking is fine for casters, especially for healers as we depend on our healboxes. Mouseovers are a tad more tricky now since fights are more dexterity based, and mousing over while trying to move via mouse, is harder. Clicking there's zero issues.

For example...
    http://s970.photobucket.com/albums/a...812_002122.png

Setup to raid and PvP heal right next to the healbox. 10x faster and the action is at eye level ingame, to force perpetual vision to see the action (a major problem with having buttons on the bottom of the screen, as the eyes are focus downward).
    Last edited by Kevyne-Shandris; 2012-12-04 at 02:29 AM.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to be a clicker, then i took an arrow to the knee.

Took me 2 minutes to be able to use keybinding's once I started learning them.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, Q, E, Z, X, C, V, `, Tab, Middle Mouse, F, G.

They're all my bindings. So far.

Keybindings are much fluent and convenient than clicking. Can't say i dont make mistakes, I do. But it's much easier to preform in raids and almost certainly pvp, and like i said took me a whole 2 minutes to learn keybindings.
    Last edited by Crackleslap; 2012-12-04 at 02:29 AM.

youre writing a research paper on clicking vs keybinding? pray tell what sort of outcome comes from such research that is of any value? Im not trolling, im genuinely curious. Im just unclear on the productivity of such research, especially when the only people that are likley to be able to comment are video gamers.

Also how else does one continue tehir research post the comments on the forum? its not exactly a topic that has any ground breaking insights? Is this one of those papers a student writes up to cheese a subject at uni?

serious questions.

to put some context around it, i had a friend who wrote a dissertation on the scatalogical image in film. And yes, it was purely to cheese her doctorate.
    Last edited by Squidfayce; 2012-12-04 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidfayce View Post
    youre writing a research paper on clicking vs keybinding? pray tell what sort of outcome froms such research that is of any value? Im not trolling, im genuinely curious. Im just unclear on the productivity of such research, especially when the only people that are likley to be able to comment are video gamers.

Also how else does one continue tehir research post the comments on the forum? its not exactly a topic that has any ground breaking insights? Is this one of those papers a student writes up to cheese a subject at uni?

serious questions.

to put some context around it, i had a friend who wrote a dissertation on the scatalogical image in film. And yes, it was purely to cheese her doctorate.
    My guess would be that he's a college student who is writing a mock research paper to practice research techniques and formatting. He simply chose a topic that he was interested in.

My apologies to the OP if this is an incorrect assumption.

Deleted
    Unless you have hands, the size of plates, you probably wont be using any keys past 6/7 for in combat abilites.

The ability to use two spells at the same time is also impossible to do by clicking, such as pressing an instant cast and an off-GCD interrupt, which again, can be performed while moving or turning with the use of keybinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Keys of 1-0 say, "Hi".

I have more than 1-0 abilities to click, and in the thick of battle I can't be bogged down with SHIFT+ALT+1 key to do my job. Thus, I have all the heal buttons right next to the healbox, and it's faster to click those, than to remember what the CTRL+SHIFT+7 key is bound too. And guess what? I can jump around very easily out of fire, as must of my abilities can't be used while moving anyway!

Clicking is fine for casters, especially for healers as we depend on our healboxes. Mouseovers are a tad more tricky now since fights are more dexterity based, and mousing over while trying to move via mouse, is harder. Clicking there's zero issues.
    I don't really understand what you're trying to tell me. Do you use your 1-0 keys to bind spells to them, and use them in conjunction with clicking, or what? Also, I disagree massively with the underlined. Memorizing hand motions have always been easier than memorizing locations on a screen for me.

Healers are an obvious exception to the rules as their play-style is far different from a tank/dps. You should, however, still be using your mouse to move. Please do remember, everything I'm saying here only applies to the hardcore aspect of this game. If you're a casual player then it's not very important either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetriss View Post
    I am doing a research paper on how clicking is less efficient than keybinding.
    Like for a class? That should go over well.

Didn't read the thread, but clicking is never better then keybinding, slows you down far too much.

i could never seriously believe "clickers" existed no offense but it seems very dumb
    i mean just try typing using the on screen keyboard by clicking the letters and then compare that speed with the real keyboard

no need to be smart to figure out which one is way better / faster / accurate

10+ Year Old Account
    People who click are almost always far less mobile and are usually the ones who get caught standing in fire, or get hit by things that are entirely avoidable.
    The mobility thing usually stems from the fact that, because they have to click their moves, they can't use their mouse to turn, and are keyboard turners/backpeddlers. And being a keyboard turner usually means you'll be worse off in PVP.

In the end, keybinds will give you faster reaction times, more mobility, and faster use of cooldowns and life saving last minute abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaino View Post
    The ability to use two spells at the same time is also impossible to do by clicking
    That's what macros are for, and it has pretty buttons as well.

Clicking or keybinds is a choice. Some folks like 10 button mice to keybind abilities too. But to claim they're really are that much faster (considering you also use the mouse to move) is personal opinion. I only have 3 buttons on my mouse that are keybound, and only because they're 3 abilities that can be used the most (and if D/Ced can still heal when returning until the healbox pops up again).

Clicking has many benefits. The major one I like is the tactical feedback of it. Not only a sound feedback, it's visual.

easier, not restricting, no learning curve that makes you worse of a player for a time, annoys the hell out of people who like to tell people what to do,

I like clicking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zingar View Post
    i could never seriously believe "clickers" existed no offense but it seems very dumb
    i mean just try typing using the on screen keyboard by clicking the letters and then compare that speed with the real keyboard
    Typing requires the entire keyboard to function.

Those with custom UIs, it's really no different than keybinds as placement of the most used abilities can be at the most comfortable place on the screen, ensuring fast clicks (and I click f-a-s-t).

I have found that being a clicker is equal with some classes/specs and a huge disadvantage in others. I click on my warrior tank with minimal key binds for my CD's and do just fine. I tried to click on my lock and it was laughable because of all the different things you have to focus on. It all depends on what you are comfortable with. The whole "miss click" argument is invalid as even with key binds you hit the wrong thing on occasion.

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 08:53 PM ----------

Also if you are focused on PVP you will get steamrolled. I tried to click in PVP once and got my s$¥+ pushed in.