Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

The Names of Countries

I was thinking lately after doing some homework for a reason why different languages have different names for countries. For example, The United States is Etats-Unis in French. Why don't we call countries names by what they call it in their native language. I wouldn't mind calling Germany Deutschland and I don't think people would mind doing the same with other countries.

Your thoughts?

Deleted
    Because there are linguistic, cultural and historic factors to consider.

Besides, it's fancier, more stylish.

Deleted
    Some of them make mild sense. England in French is Angleterre (Add a few accents over the letters), which I believe translate as Angle land. The land was populated for a time by the Angles. Before being joined by the Saxons. Hence Anglo-Saxon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahine View Post
    I was thinking lately after doing some homework for a reason why different languages have different names for countries. For example, The United States is Etats-Unis in French. Why don't we call countries names by what they call it in their native language. I wouldn't mind calling Germany Deutschland and I don't think people would mind doing the same with other countries.

Your thoughts?
    yes.. why is that most of world says Denmark instead of Danmark!?. Seriously though i imagine its because it is somewhat easier to pronounce the name of some countries if they are translated into whatever peoples native language is, for example norway and sweden i imagine would be a little hard to pronounce for english speaking people if it were how it is supposed to be pronounced in Norwegian or Swedish. Which is why the international names works best in that regard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Etats-Unis
    TIL that the French are dyslexic

Deleted
    I was thinking the same about capitals. Why do english people call London as such, yet we call it Londra?

Because that's how people thought it sounded when it was first heard and it remained as such in their memories, and as time passed, the info got transmitted wrong.

Plus, a lot of towns have weird accents and letters that some people can't or don't know how to read. I mean, it's easy to say Bucharest, but would you know how to pronounce Bucureṣti? It's not pronounced the same. In fact, the closest pronounciation is Bucureshti.
    Same for countries. Some have easy names, Suomi or such, but how do you pronounce România?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think most people who aren't used to Uralic languages would have a hard time pronouncing Eesti, for example. There are probably better examples, though.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Angleterre (Add a few accents over the letters)
    Angleterre has no accents in french

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    first as was said before the local pronunciation might not be "compatible" with your language. The combinations of letters describe sounds, those sounds might not be easy to pronounce, or that they sound different.
    second what you imply is that everyone knows how a country is called by their people wich might not be the case.

Now if you want to counter my second point by saying but that's because we already use another noun for them, then how would you deal with countries that either use characters that dont exist in your alphabet or worse a totally different one (for example cyrillic).

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck getting people to get the Asian names right. (I think it's a cool idea though)

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, then you'd be asking for everyone to use everyone else's dialect, their inflections, their whatever for every language. What makes countries that special anyway, to make them be pronounced in their native language? How far would that go? Would you speak Spanish if you walk into a Mexican restaurant? That'd only make everyone that worked there laugh at you. It's a lot easier for an English country to have English sounding words for other countries.

Because other languages are weird...

Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia - good luck pronouncing it! I shall call it Dave.

Neat idea to educate but with such varied languages it become more of a problem than anything else, for example Libya's full name in its own language is "Al Jumahiriyah al Arabiyah al Libiyah ash Shabiyah al Ishtirakiyah al Uzma". Special characters might cause a problem (Ελληνική Δημοκρατία or Lýðveldið Ísland) and then as said above, Asian would be nigh on impossible to integrate. Still, I do like the idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably just for the same reason different languages exist. Each language had to name the country and so named it in their language. Now that it's more common to have people speaking all sorts of languages exist together, it might make sense to just pick one name for each country but that'd be change. We'd have to start teaching people that Korea is now called Hanguk for example

So good idea, but don't think it'll ever happen unless we all start speaking one language.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    Probably just for the same reason different languages exist. Each language had to name the country and so named it in their language. Now that it's more common to have people speaking all sorts of languages exist together, it might make sense to just pick one name for each country but that'd be change. We'd have to start teaching people that Korea is now called Hanguk for example

So good idea, but don't think it'll ever happen unless we all start speaking one language.
    wat

Korea is called Hanguk? For real? I had no idea... Then was it called Korean before or was it always Hanguk?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    wat

Korea is called Hanguk? For real? I had no idea... Then was it called Korean before or was it always Hanguk?
    It might be like Chinese. There's no actual language called "Chinese". It's Mandarin or...the other one I can't think of.

Deleted
    Well, i think its language barriers, im right in thinking Japan has no letter/word for "L", so anything with an L in would get translated to an "R" i believe, dont quote me 100%

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Many international names for regions are either the way the first European travelers interpreted what they heard, or in Europe the old name given by the Romans with 2000 years of degeneration.

examples: Germany is the degradation of Germania the old Latin name for the region. The French call it Allemagne which is how the French call the Alemanni tribe who lived in Germany. Deutschland which is the official name of the country comes from Ludwig der Teutsche, who is sort of the father of post Roman Germany.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahine View Post

Your thoughts?
    With this approach how would you handle countries that have more than one national language?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Some of them make mild sense. England in French is Angleterre (Add a few accents over the letters), which I believe translate as Angle land. The land was populated for a time by the Angles. Before being joined by the Saxons. Hence Anglo-Saxon.
    And I'm pretty positive that England is a corruption of Angleland anyways. Eng - Angle
    Putin khuliyo