Poll: Would you like high elves to be a playable race?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Yeah I definitely want to see High Elves as an Alliance race in game. With Pandaren being multi faction I see no reason not to.

no, too many freaking elves as it is

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    They would merge with the other thalassian organisation, but they wouldn't call themselves "high elves". High Elves is an archaic term imo. It symbolises a perpetuating rift. The Sin'dorei haven't been under the shadow of Kael'thas since the events of Burning Crusade played out. High Elves represent an opposition to Kael'thas, a story line thats dead and gone and needs to be put in the past. The High Elves are not a race, they are a political organisation. The Blood Elves they were opposed to do not exist any more and the Silver Covenant does not, nor should it, have any heavy influence or sway over the Alliance at large.

Current Blood Elves don't suck the life out of creatures to fuel their arcane addictions, they don't siphon fel off demons either, The don't do it lore, they don't even do it as a game mechanic (remember mana tap). They are opposed to selling their souls for absolute power and they draw from the Light itself to power their magic now. Imo the only way to have Alliance Sin'dorei work is to have the Silver Covenant standing behind them, not the other way around. The Blood Elves have to convince Stormwind and her major Allies in Darnassus, Ironforge and Gilneas, that their intentions to join them are pure and legitimate, not some third rate club of disgruntled Quel'dorei in Dalaran. Also I don't really see how this misses the point of the thread. I voted "no" for High Elves and gave a reason
    Of course, maintaining the "high elf" self-labeling could lead to ostrization and unacknowledgment of the seditionist blood elves past and struggles. You are absolutely right that a new umbrella term should be used if the merge is done in an egalitarian fashion, true unity. Now, the high elves could chose to be dicks about it and force name change on their cousins as the term blood elf is tainted. This is, of course, a more grim approach with silencing and shaming, but for such a proud people, it would be plausible as well. Cause I think that the greenlight by the silver covenant would be one of the bigger priorities of the seditionist blood elves; it would grant them heavy foothold within the alliance, since the Silver covenant has been stalwart on their loyalties, to the point of over-zealousness sometimes.

I'd like the more equal approach myself.

Well, yea, about the no option. I did not put that in there, it was hostile takeover.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 04:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    Also, you want to complain about people missing the point when you asked a fucking yes/no question in the title. So please, tell me what "point" are we not getting?
    Was the title vague? yes. Was it my fault that people failed to read the first post to know what the thread was about? don't think so, pal.

So you should really read the first post again, to know what the point, what the thread is about. I'm not walking you through this. I'm not saying I don't have time for it, I just don't want to.

If it's done right.

I don't want a re-hashed Horde model if the Horde get a new race all on it's own.

Give the Horde the Eredar. Have the artifact Illidan found to cleanse demons of their thirst for magic be found by someone like Sylvanas. Have her abandon the Forsaken after her last Val'kyr is dead, and going to lead the Blood Elves after Lor'themar's departure. Leave her in charge of the Eredar, who she cleanses of their demonic thirst, and they agree to join the Horde, for whatever reason. Put Lilian Voss in control of the Forsaken, intent on restoring Lordaeron to it's former glory. Eventually when the factions shake up after WoW, have her bring the Forsaken into the Alliance, intent on reuniting those who have been brought back as Forsaken with their families. Have her discover a new way to resurrect people as Forsaken.

That way, Alliance get a version of Blood Elves, Horde get a version of Draenei.

Lor'themar joins the Alliance, but under the stipulation he co-lead the High Elves with Vereesa and Alleria.

Quote Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
    If it's done right.

I don't want a re-hashed Horde model if the Horde get a new race all on it's own.

Give the Horde the Eredar. Have the artifact Illidan found to cleanse demons of their thirst for magic be found by someone like Sylvanas. Have her abandon the Forsaken after her last Val'kyr is dead, and going to lead the Blood Elves after Lor'themar's departure. Leave her in charge of the Eredar, who she cleanses of their demonic thirst, and they agree to join the Horde, for whatever reason. Put Lilian Voss in control of the Forsaken, intent on restoring Lordaeron to it's former glory. Eventually when the factions shake up after WoW, have her bring the Forsaken into the Alliance, intent on reuniting those who have been brought back as Forsaken with their families. Have her discover a new way to resurrect people as Forsaken.

That way, Alliance get a version of Blood Elves, Horde get a version of Draenei.

Lor'themar joins the Alliance, but under the stipulation he co-lead the High Elves with Vereesa and Alleria.
    the eredar dont have a "demon thirst" they also werent forced to join the legion they were asked and went willingly
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I would rather have a new race, so no thanks! We already have blood elves and night elves. This is world of warcraft, not world of elfcraft! (Yes, I am fully aware that high elves have a rather big role in the warcraft lore).

Disclaimer: This is a personal opinion and therefore does not automatically apply to anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementalkin View Post
    Not going to happen. The difference in cultural identity, value systems, architecture, and so on between the Night Elves and Blood Elves is staggeringly obvious, hence they can both exist in the game despite the later actually being a splinter race of the former. But High Elves? They're basically the same, they're just 'blue' instead of 'red and green'. They're 'pure' instead of 'tainted', and even that aspect has been arguably blown out of proportion, especially now that the Sunwell has been restored.

Also, if your thread doesn't allow people who don't want playable high elves, why did you phrase it that way in the title, and why did you add a 'No' option in your poll? I don't get it, you know that some people don't want this, but you don't care to know why?
    Yeah, I take blame on the title as potentially misleading, it should have been "For those who want high elves as a playable race" mea culpa. But the "no" option on the poll wasn't put by me, was put by Elysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementalkin View Post
    Not going to happen. The difference in cultural identity, value systems, architecture, and so on between the Night Elves and Blood Elves is staggeringly obvious, hence they can both exist in the game despite the later actually being a splinter race of the former
    if blood elves can be considered a splinter race of night elves instead of a completely new organism then night elves need to be considered a splinter race of trolls
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I am all for High elves joining the alliance even if from a game standpoint they are little more than blue eyed bloodelves.

That said I think the horde should adopt either Dark iron dwarfs, leper gnomes or the FlameElfs from firelands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? Really?! More elves? This is what the game needs?

There are so many other much cooler races they could choose from - Nagas, Furbolgs, Murlocs, those weird Grummles from Kun-Lai Summit, Ethereals, Tuskarr, Vrykul, Tol'Vir, Saurok,, Mantid, Volvar, Hozen, Jin'yu, Arakkoa, Dryads, Nerubians, Ogres, any mix of half-breed, Satyrs, Centaurs, Gorlocs, Harpies, Sporlocs or those humanoid Quiraq... I want my insect race!

If you dont want people who hate the idea of even more elves to voice their opinion, don't include the option to choose the answer "NO" and phrase your question like this: "Out of those of you who want even more damned elves in the game, who wants them reeeeaaly bad?"
    Last edited by Krawu; 2012-12-04 at 06:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    Really? Really?! More elves? This is what the game needs?

There are so many other much cooler races they could choose from - Nagas, Furbolgs, Murlocs, those weird Grummles from Kun-Lai Summit, Ethereals, Tuskarr, Vrykul, Tol'Vir, Saurok,, Mantid, Volvar, Hozen, Jin'yu, Arakkoa, Dryads, Nerubians, Ogres, any mix of half-breed, Satyrs, Centaurs, Gorlocs, Sporlocs or those humanoid Quiraq... I want my insect race!

If you dont want people who hate the idea of even more elves to voice their opinion, don't include the option to choose the answer "NO" and phrase your question like this: "Out of those of you who want even more damned elves in the game, who wants them reeeeaaly bad?"
    Well, I didn't add the "no" option. It was done against my will, against my will, I tell ya!

I don't feel that there's enough variation between High Elf and Blood Elf, and I don't believe there's a substantial enough High Elf population to make it a playable race, considering a great deal of them became Blood elves.

If WoW needs another elf, I'd rather have the Darkfallen. There was so much potential to make them truly interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Several of my characters were once BE's when my wife and I had split our 10 (11 now, but this was back in Wrath) toons each equally between Horde and Alliance. And several of them I much preferred the visual aesthetic of them as BE as opposed to Human/NE.

Other than that, meh.

In a perfect world they would have their own starting area, maybe Blizzard could make use of Crystalsong Forest in a phased version and start them out at level 80.

But in reality, there's too little difference between them and Blood Elves. They don't have a Capital City anymore, and in the Lore there are very, very few left.

I would say just make them a skin of Night Elves, but it wouldn't make sense to just totally ignore the story and have High Elves walking around Darnassus.

If they did they'd have to create some kind of story reason to separate them enough from Blood Elves for them to make sense as a playable race. They'd have to look significantly different, for a start. They just aren't different enough.

To be honest, now that the Sunwell is back, Kael'Thas is dead and the Blood Elves re-rebelled against Kael'Thas' faction... I don't understand why the Blood Elves are even still in the Horde. It was quite a stretch in the first place!

Are Blood Elves even really "Blood Elves" anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

To be honest, now that the Sunwell is back, Kael'Thas is dead and the Blood Elves re-rebelled against Kael'Thas' faction... I don't understand why the Blood Elves are even still in the Horde. It was quite a stretch in the first place!
    If you have a Horde, this very question is explored in 5.1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Are Blood Elves even really "Blood Elves" anymore?
    Well, yeah. The name honors their fallen during the III war, why would they change it?

The high elves are a playable race. They are called Blood Elves.

Before the first Sun Well was destroyed to Re-animate Kel'Thuzad, the Blood Elves were Highborne, or Quel'dorei. After Arthas ravage Quel'thalas, they were renamed Sin'dorei, Blood Elves. The Blood Elves are not a new race, they are just a sect of Highborne who joined the Horde because of the betrayal from the Alliance when Kael'thas received aid from the Naga to fight back the scourge.

And before someone mentions their eyes. Quel'dorei eyes are blue because they sustain themselves from Arcane Magic. Sin'dorei eyes are green because they did it from Fel Energy.

These topics have become old, and redundant. Now a better one would be who wants High Elves to be playable for the alliance. But that would turn them into a Pandaren thing.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

The high elves are a playable race. They are called Blood Elves.
    Except that not all High Elves became Blood Elves.

You know...like the Silver Covenant led by Vereesa, or Alleria.

Or any High Elf who wasn't at Quel'thalas when it got blowdededed up.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2012-12-04 at 06:41 AM.

Don't they look exactly the same as BE?