Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I don't know what to think about the whole rebooting. Now, I've had my vocal criticism about continuity issues (most caused by Enterprise!), but a reboot never seemed the right option. I know that it's supposed to be an alternate timeline next to the Prime Universe, thus everything that has happened in the future did happen and will happen, but it seems wrong. It's amazing that with the thousands of changes in the galaxy from the event that Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Uhuru, and Scotty still end up together. Not just together, but on the same ship a good dozen+ years earlier than they would have.

    Still, I'll go see it and see how it moves the new story along. One thing I can say is that the new Star Trek movies are far more...up-to-date in terms of motivations, action, and story than ever before.

    On the subject of rebooting The Original Series. If you watch the documentry "Trek Nation" made by Gene's son, there is an interesting part in which Gene's son shows JJ Abrams a clip of Gene saying how he thinks it would be great to redo the TOS with "young fresh actors". Cannot find the clip but the documentary is on netflix.

    While I do agree that The new Star Trek is heavy on the action and light on the Sci-Fi, I found the movie pretty entertaining, which is the point.

    "Science Fiction has been used by authors and film/television program makers as a device to explore more wide ranging philosophical subjects such as identity, desire, morality and social structure etc."
    Taken from Wiki

    This is what Roddenberry did. Used Sci-fi as a way to explore the human condition. Which is NOT what the latest movie did.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 11:56 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    I dont think star trek ever fit that description. Certainly not Kirks Star Trek anyway.
    Oh I disagree, you have to look at it in the context of the 1960s though. I do not think an argument can be made that The Next generation was not hard Sci-Fi though. And it is where Star Trek really began to be what it is remembered as.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

  2. #22
    I must admit, I really liked the newer Star Trek. I'd love to have Picard getting all Shakespearian on the bridge, but, it's a completely acceptable alternative. The style is slick and there's a looooot of potential for character development and growth. It doesn't really need to go derker like most series do these days, it just needs to maintain the tempo, or even ease up a little at times.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    On the subject of rebooting The Original Series. If you watch the documentry "Trek Nation" made by Gene's son, there is an interesting part in which Gene's son shows JJ Abrams a clip of Gene saying how he thinks it would be great to redo the TOS with "young fresh actors". Cannot find the clip but the documentary is on netflix.

    While I do agree that The new Star Trek is heavy on the action and light on the Sci-Fi, I found the movie pretty entertaining, which is the point.

    "Science Fiction has been used by authors and film/television program makers as a device to explore more wide ranging philosophical subjects such as identity, desire, morality and social structure etc."
    Taken from Wiki

    This is what Roddenberry did. Used Sci-fi as a way to explore the human condition. Which is NOT what the latest movie did.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 11:56 PM ----------



    Oh I disagree, you have to look at it in the context of the 1960s though. I do not think an argument can be made that The Next generation was not hard Sci-Fi though. And it is where Star Trek really began to be what it is remembered as.

    There! Guess the wiki can say it better than I can.
    -You are now breathing manually-

  4. #24
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,569
    Here you go.


  5. #25
    Still not sure if he's supposed to be Khan, or what.

    BUT I'M TOTALLY PUMPED! It looks pretty awesome.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    This is what Roddenberry did. Used Sci-fi as a way to explore the human condition. Which is NOT what the latest movie did.
    Exactly. I actually used to hate the new Star Trek specifically because it was Star Trek in name, but not spirit. Eventually, however, I found that it was pointless to keep comparing the two Treks, and came to enjoy the reboot for its own merits as a sci-fi action/drama as well.

    That said, and all puns aside, the trailer of the new movie is way too reminiscent of the recent Batman movies, in both atmosphere and, seemingly, plot. I hope that, so soon after the reboot, they aren't attempting to cash in on another franchise while still keeping the Star Trek name and universe....

    I suppose it all depends on who the villain is. If he's actually supposed to be this universe's version of a character from the Prime universe, that might be cool. But if he's just some crazy terrorist guy made up solely for this movie....

  7. #27
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,569
    Some say Kahn, some say Gary Mitchel, I think it might be Gary, Kahn was never in the federation I believe. I am intrigued by Submarine Enterprise, on itunes/trailers the banner says "come back for the teaser December 17th". Interesting. This trailer, new one on the 17th, and 9 minutes in Imax? Can't say it's not too much.


  8. #28
    Gary Mitchell came to my mind as well, but to fit the current villain's appearance and method of operation, they must have seriously reworked his character. Again, have to wait and see if that's a good, bad, or okay thing...guess I'll look for that trailer on the 17th, and the Imax one too, when it eventually gets online.

  9. #29
    Epic! Nyxxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,717
    Awesome clip of the Enterprise rising from the water, nice to see its keeping a centre spot for the franchise!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crym View Post
    Spoiler: The reason Garrosh is defeated is because, just when he's being attacked, Malchezaar pops out of a portal, yells "yoink!", and takes his weapon away.
    Armory

  10. #30
    Stood in the Fire Lightswords's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    366
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHlQUXFzfw Japanese trailer give you gigantic spoiler at the end so don't watch if you don't want

    Rise...with us

  11. #31
    Awesome trailer and this looks like a really good movie.

    BRB building a time machine.

  12. #32
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightswords View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHlQUXFzfw Japanese trailer give you gigantic spoiler at the end so don't watch if you don't want
    Wouldn't really call it a spoiler as we don't know what happens there, sure it looks like a scene from a past Star Trek, but it's more than likely one of those things where they trick the villain, "zomg impossible" , villain dies, world is saved, everyone lives, happily ever after type thing.


  13. #33
    Warchief Northy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuljatar View Post
    Still not sure if he's supposed to be Khan, or what.

    BUT I'M TOTALLY PUMPED! It looks pretty awesome.
    I'm pretty sure it's not Khan. But, it sounds like Patrick Stewart strangely.

  14. #34
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Wouldn't really call it a spoiler as we don't know what happens there, sure it looks like a scene from a past Star Trek, but it's more than likely one of those things where they trick the villain, "zomg impossible" , villain dies, world is saved, everyone lives, happily ever after type thing.
    Well This is supposedly Quinto's last movie in the series as he wants to do other things. So it killing him off would certainly fit rather than just having him disappear

    Man I love that trailer.

  15. #35
    Looks pretty good. For a teaser, anyway. I'd still like to know a little more about the story.

    - MJ

  16. #36
    I dub this poster "The Dark Knight Beams Up".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  17. #37
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    183
    I advise people to look up 'Sherlock Holmes' (the BBC version) on Netflix, Benedict Cumberbatch is terrific, and he is one of the main reasons I'm excited for this movie.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

  18. #38
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,569
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Well This is supposedly Quinto's last movie in the series as he wants to do other things. So it killing him off would certainly fit rather than just having him disappear

    Man I love that trailer.

    Oh crap I did not know that. That would make sense, and if he's like "hey guys I want to come back now", they'll just pull another "Search for Spock".


  19. #39

  20. #40
    I am Murloc! Gothicshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Posts
    5,107
    I'm a huge fan of Benedict Cumberbatch. I am taking bets with my friends as to who his character could be.

    1. New Character
    2. Lt. Cmdr. Gary Mitchell
    3. Charlie Evans
    4. Khan Noonien Singh


    I have a strong feeling that the correct answer is ... 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •