Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Moderator Kerdoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,573
    Wow. Looks amazing! I love J.J Abrams! Maybe it is time to watch the first one ;o

  2. #42
    I am Murloc! Gothicshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Posts
    5,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightswords View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrHlQUXFzfw Japanese trailer give you gigantic spoiler at the end so don't watch if you don't want

    OK I have to put this in spoiler form, the fact that Benedict Cumberbatch says "is there not anything you would do for your family" is a line that Khan would say. Every thing he did was for his family of Supermen, who where exiled from earth in 1990. ,---yes I know we never launched a star-ship in 1990 with genetic supermen who caused world war 3, the way it has been fixed in the Star Trek universe is that either it was a secret war and launch, or a different timeline. But the end result Gary Mitchell did everything for personal power, Khan did everything for his race of Supermen. The shot of kirk however is interesting because it is implying an issue with his family. As we know Kirks true family is his crew, so this is a bit of an actual spoiler because it could be a primary character injured or dying. ie what happens at the end of Wrath of Khan...

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 11:13 PM ----------

    Only problem is that Gary Mitchell is American, the first actor that was offered the role, Benicio del Toro. To me that is a clue as to who the villain is. The second clue being Benedict Cumberbatch is British but he has an exotic quality about his features, he's too perfect and slightly off setting, this makes him a perfect actor to play a genetic superman.

    see:

    http://www.startrek.com/watch_episode/yi_5nALQQTqU
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2012-12-07 at 08:03 AM.

  3. #43
    What's this, Inception Trek?
    Yuck, terrible, terrible.. that trailer. This has nothing to do with Star Trek. RIP.

  4. #44
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,948
    Well since Wrath of Khan is considered one of the better Star Trek movies, I'm not surprised they are doing the reboot with it too.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

  5. #45
    Elemental Lord Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    8,022
    Not a fan.

    Too much action and "saving the day", need more sci-fi. It reminds me a bit of that show Stargate Universe; it felt like a action/drama that just happened to take place on a space ship.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  6. #46
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,569
    Quote Originally Posted by deepr View Post
    What's this, Inception Trek?
    Yuck, terrible, terrible.. that trailer. This has nothing to do with Star Trek. RIP.
    I saw no dreams happening in the trailer, where'd Inception come from? And it's got everything to do with Star Trek, just not the one you're used to.


  7. #47
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    I saw no dreams happening in the trailer, where'd Inception come from? And it's got everything to do with Star Trek, just not the one you're used to.
    I think he meant the Khan Noonian Signh knockoff doing the gravity defying type stuff.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Not a fan.

    Too much action and "saving the day", need more sci-fi. It reminds me a bit of that show Stargate Universe; it felt like a action/drama that just happened to take place on a space ship.
    That basically sums up Star Trek. Forever. Star Trek was never deeply entwined in its science. It was just fiction, that happened to be in space.

    Seriously, 90% of Star Trek is character interaction, discussion of how to do things and then some fighting/action. It was always at its best when it was at its most dramatic.

  9. #49
    Warchief Northy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,123
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Well since Wrath of Khan is considered one of the better Star Trek movies, I'm not surprised they are doing the reboot with it too.

    They're doing Gary Michell. He's from a Star Trek TOS episode. Captivating storytelling. Go watch.

    You can watch the Gary Mitchell episode here. It's called "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

  10. #50
    I thought the point of the whole alternate universe thing was so they could do new things without worrying about continuity. So the first new thing they do is...remake something old? Why not just call it a remake and quit pretending it has anything to do with the old Trek?

  11. #51
    Elemental Lord Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    8,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    That basically sums up Star Trek. Forever. Star Trek was never deeply entwined in its science. It was just fiction, that happened to be in space.

    Seriously, 90% of Star Trek is character interaction, discussion of how to do things and then some fighting/action. It was always at its best when it was at its most dramatic.
    Not the Star Trek I watched, I've mostly watched Voyager & Enterprise series though.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  12. #52
    Wow, what an incredibly lame and unimaginative poster.

  13. #53
    I'm not a Star Trek fan really, never really watched the old movies or series so I know VERY little about it. But I did like the last movie and I do very much like the trailer of this.

  14. #54
    I am Murloc! Gothicshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Posts
    5,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    They're doing Gary Michell. He's from a Star Trek TOS episode. Captivating storytelling. Go watch.

    You can watch the Gary Mitchell episode here. It's called "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

    As for Who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing the two biggest possibilities are Lt Commander Gary Michell or Khan Noonien Singh. JJ Abrams has said he is doing 6 Star Trek Movies in total.

    So here is a list of classic formulas. Bolding what he has already done.

    Godlike being
    Time Travel
    Romulans
    Klingons
    Borg
    Cardassians
    Vulcans
    Alternate versions of Earth
    Khan <-Most popular villain in Star Trek Lore.

    So the likely remaining 5 stories will have to have.

    Godlike Being
    Klingons
    Borg
    Cardassians
    Khan

    Notice that is five remaining story lines from fan favorites.

    ((Edit: I should add in some fluff that should appear in these next 5 films, Tribbles, Mudd, Fembots))

    The next film has Benedict Cumberbatch as the Villain, and it is clear he is playing a Human from Earth, this leaves only two possibilities Khan and Lt Commander Gary Michell who becomes a godlike being. Both characters have strong fan appeal and could work as a second film especially with that actor.

    So lets review the known facts:

    Cumberbatch as Lt Commander Gary Michell
    Pros:
    You see him in the Star Fleet Shirt
    There is a Memorial service at the beginning
    He clearly is arrogant and wanting revenge for something
    One actor in the film said that Cumberbatch was Gary Mitchell (unverified)
    Gary Michells love interest was a blonde crew member who looks almost exactly like Alice Eve

    Cumberbatch as Khan
    In an interview Cumberbatch revealed that his character is complicated and neither good nor evil in the traditional sense.
    Everything Khan ever did was for his family of Genetically perfect supermen. The dialog in the Japanese version of the trailer has him talking about family.
    Other actors considered for the role Demián Bichir, Benicio del Toro (who turned the role down)
    In space seed Khan wore a star fleet uniform, fell in love with a star fleet officer and historian. Marla McGivers (a red head)
    Ricardo Montalban played Khan both times and is one of the most compelling actors to ever do a role in the Original Series. Cumberbatch is the same type of actor.
    If Khan was found by anyone other than Kirk the odds are he would destroy the crew of that ship.
    Khan was forced to flee the earth for being a tyrant, he has a hard time accepting that mankind didn't need him.

    So basically it is not really clear who he is playing. And I am waiting to see the film to find out.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2012-12-09 at 06:27 PM. Reason: edit spell check didn't like the U for some reason ;-p

  15. #55
    Immortal Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Just outside of Wigan, England.
    Posts
    7,734
    As long as they have made the person who was responsible for the lens flare lighting an unnamed ensign, given him a red shirt, and sent him on an away mission with several of the senior officers then this film will be fantastic.

    My biggest "peeve" about the reboot was the lighting of bridge. Fix that and ill be happy.

  16. #56
    Never liked star trek untill I saw the movie which came out in 2009.

    Hopefully this one can be just as entertaining as the last.

  17. #57
    Mechagnome shadowlich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hells gate and your next
    Posts
    562
    Another embarrassing JJ "star wars" trek movie.

  18. #58
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    34,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I wouldn't expect any more continuity from the Gene Roddenberry Star Trek any time soon. Ronald Moore stomped on that throughout the 90s and it's done. You can see it as the story telling went from tales or morality to conflict. The re-boot movies are nothing more than a cash grab. There is a little fan service thrown in, but it's really about flashy action now and storytelling is out the window. As good as Star Trek 2009 was, it's story was pretty much 1 note throughout the film.
    You hit it on the head. I want to see continuity, but I know it's long gone, even before Enterprise



  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I wouldn't expect any more continuity from the Gene Roddenberry Star Trek any time soon. Ronald Moore stomped on that throughout the 90s and it's done. You can see it as the story telling went from tales or morality to conflict. The re-boot movies are nothing more than a cash grab. There is a little fan service thrown in, but it's really about flashy action now and storytelling is out the window. As good as Star Trek 2009 was, it's story was pretty much 1 note throughout the film.
    It's always struck me as very odd how much people seem to hate the DS9+ focus on war. As if stories set during wartime can't have meaning? Or it's "not Star Trek" because everything's not all sunshine, roses, and banging alien chicks. The conflict, and the notion that maybe exploration might not end well (going from kicking the hornet's nest that was the Jem'Hadar to having your home put under martial law) made things feel much more...I don't know...real.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's always struck me as very odd how much people seem to hate the DS9+ focus on war. As if stories set during wartime can't have meaning? Or it's "not Star Trek" because everything's not all sunshine, roses, and banging alien chicks. The conflict, and the notion that maybe exploration might not end well (going from kicking the hornet's nest that was the Jem'Hadar to having your home put under martial law) made things feel much more...I don't know...real.
    I always thought the DS 9 hatred came from Babylon 5 fans. Being a Babylon 5 fan myself, I was always aware that the Babylon 5 outlying plot, episodes scripts, concepts, etc, etc, had been through the DS 9 team's hands before DS 9 went into production. I think DS 9 aired literally like 2 weeks prior to Babylon 5's first showing, though Babylon 5 had been in the works for longer.

    So my viewpoint is that a lot of people saw DS 9 as ripping off Babylon 5, especially given how different it was to a standard Star Trek series, which is where a lot of the hate came from.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •