Thread: cc in pvp

cc in pvp

I mostly like playing random bgs and maybe thats my problem. I just feel like the amount of cc and silence is way out of control. I read a blue post awhile ago and I think it was about vanilla wow before cc was shorten. It said like we dont want your character sitting there unplayable because youre feared for 30 seconds. It was something like that... Well with the amount of cc and silences now whats the difference between being feared for 30 seconds or being stunned stunned feared silence and repeat?

People always say getting better gear will make pvp better... Its true it will. I guess I will just have to wait until the end of the expansion to have some fun.

Deleted
    I would be extremely happy if AOE fear got removed from this game. The game would be more playable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by naturetauren View Post
    I would be extremely happy if AOE fear got removed from this game. The game would be more playable.
    this 9000 times

Aoe Fear is really fine, the classes that have it have it for a reason. Like if I got swarmed when I played my priest then there are only so many CD intodays game you can play to save yourself and almost every class has a instant choice for getting back to you when you are done running.

The one thing I never have understood about the game mechanic is "Fear" and then "Horror" are those two by definition the same thing, you are afraid of said object or target.

hor·ror/ˈhôrər/
    Noun:
    1.An intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust.
    2.A thing causing such a feeling.

fear/fi(ə)r/
    Noun:
    An unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.
    Verb:
    Be afraid of (someone or something) as likely to be dangerous, painful, or threatening: "farmers fear that they will lose business".
    Synonyms:
    noun. dread - fright - apprehension - funk - awe - alarm
    verb. be afraid - dread - apprehend - funk - be afraid of

The one thing I think should be looked at is that since they are technically the same thing, Having them as different gives 2 different diminishing returns. Causing longer CC's.
    But the mechanics have been in the game this way for a long time and I dont know if it will change anytime soon or ever. Tis the way of the World of Warcraft.

I think Blizzard should use the resolve bar idea from SWtOR. Or a variant of it. 3 cc's of any type and your immune to any other cc for a short time. No more separate diminishing returns for each type.

Fear - Fear - Stun - Silence - Stun - Fear - Blahblahblah
    Fear full duration - Stun 3 sec duration - any other cc 1 sec duration - next and any other cc for next 5 to 10 seconds immune

Maybe asking too much, especially with how insanely tough it is to kill a healer unless they have junk gear without chain cc'ing them.

Different DR categories is one of the things that makes WoW's PvP interesting (to some degree); it would be a shame to remove it entirely. That said, there's way too much CC out there now and both DRs and PvP medallions are undertuned for the availability control abilities have now. I'd be happy to see a slightly longer DR timer or more severely diminished effects and possibly a shorter cooldown on PvP medallions.

Not a big fan of the general trend of cooldown-based instant CCs rather than casted ones, but it's not inherently bad so long as thought is required. I feel like right now you can just toss out CC indiscriminately and you aren't even taking any risks. Random CCs should put you in a situation where you have a reduced capability to peel offensive cooldowns, but it doesn't even matter in the current game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagemaru View Post
    Aoe Fear is really fine, the classes that have it have it for a reason. Like if I got swarmed when I played my priest then there are only so many CD intodays game you can play to save yourself and almost every class has a instant choice for getting back to you when you are done running.

The one thing I never have understood about the game mechanic is "Fear" and then "Horror" are those two by definition the same thing, you are afraid of said object or target.

hor·ror/ˈhôrər/
    Noun:
    1.An intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust.
    2.A thing causing such a feeling.

fear/fi(ə)r/
    Noun:
    An unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.
    Verb:
    Be afraid of (someone or something) as likely to be dangerous, painful, or threatening: "farmers fear that they will lose business".
    Synonyms:
    noun. dread - fright - apprehension - funk - awe - alarm
    verb. be afraid - dread - apprehend - funk - be afraid of

The one thing I think should be looked at is that since they are technically the same thing, Having them as different gives 2 different diminishing returns. Causing longer CC's.
    But the mechanics have been in the game this way for a long time and I dont know if it will change anytime soon or ever. Tis the way of the World of Warcraft.
    He talking about getting rid of the spell fear mate not looking for why its called that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistedklown View Post
    I think Blizzard should use the resolve bar idea from SWtOR. Or a variant of it. 3 cc's of any type and your immune to any other cc for a short time. No more separate diminishing returns for each type.
    Though I do agree CC as a whole right now is a little insane, have to disagree with the bold part. The resolve bar was one of the (many) reasons I ended up quitting before my free month of buying the game was up. An alternative I have been playing around in my head is that DR in it self isn't restrictive enough. For example have similar CC share DR; Disarm and silence could share, Stun and banish, disorient and poly. On top of that if that doesn't end up being enough the DR number could be changed to 2 or 3 then immune instead of the current 4, could even extend the DR immunity a few seconds, say from 15 to 20. They're so many more options that can be done with just the current system of keeping CC in check rather then just going full resolve bar.

Although I think the Resolve system is vastly superior to what WoW has at the moment we have to work with what we got.

A possible change to the current system would be each CC resets all current DR times for all other CCs. Perhaps an example would be useful.

0:00 - Stunned
    0:01 - Trinketed Stun - Stun DR Timer Begins
    0:02 - Feared (Eat Full Duration)
    0:10 - Fear ends DR Time for Fear Begins - Stun DR Timer Resets back to 0:00
    0:11 - Disoriented (Dragon's Breath)
    0:13 - Disorient breaks on damage - DR for Disorients Begins - Fear DR Timer and Stun DR Timer Reset
    And so on.

Or to look at another instance

0:00 - Charge Stun From Warrior
    0:01 - Stun Wears Off - Stun DR Timer Begins
    0:02 - Silence
    0:06 - Silences Wears Off - Silence DR Timer Begins - Stun DR Timer is Reset to 0
    0:08 - Fear(Eat Full Duration)
    0:16 - Fear Ends Fear DR Timer Begins - Silence DR Timer and Stun DR Timer Reset to 0
    0:18 - Charge Stun - Immune
    0:20 - Silence - Lands but is still on DR
    0:22 - Silence Ends - Stun Immunity from DR is Reset to 0 - Fear DR Timer is Reset to 0

It a bit convoluted but that's WoW's CC system. The above I think could work. You can still chain CC and you can even rotate them to a certain degree but at some point you become immune to everything whereas the current system you can rotate them indefinitely.

Fear seems bugged right now, never breaks on damage. I think CC is okay except for this and the ludicrous amount of instant CC added in MoP.

That definition of Horror implies it is a more focussed and intense fear.

As for what should be removed in terms of CC:

- Blood fear is OP there's no doubt about that, its the cooldown as much as what it actually does. 10 seconds cooldown is absurd.

- AoE fear is fine, spriest would need to be compensated somehow if it lost it. At most give it a short cast time.

- PoM poly/ring feels OP

- Instant cyclone is OP, make the predators swiftness proc enable ferals to cast cyclone while in form, but not instantly.

Predators swiftness is dispel able, I think it's annoying but its more reasonable then blood fear and pom ring.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

One of the problems I'm seeing is how Blizz opened up Spec-specific CC to the entire class (i.e. Shockwave, Shadowfury, Lock's Fear Bomb) and even added extra CC abilities;hence the average amount of CC we are seeing is quite ridiculous.

MoP talents FTW!
    Last edited by kail; 2012-12-05 at 08:49 AM.