Needing on BoE patterns...

...will it make them BoP? If I see something an alt can use and nobody else needs it, would I be able to need it and send it?

10+ Year Old Account
    They're designed to resell/use, so need away.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

There was actually a rare drop (10k-50k depending on server) that dropped. I saw that others greeded, and just didn't have the heart to cheat it like that, even though I'm totally poor on this server. Oh well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    There was actually a rare drop (10k-50k depending on server) that dropped. I saw that others greeded, and just didn't have the heart to cheat it like that, even though I'm totally poor on this server. Oh well.
    Rule of thumb on plans in public groups with "need before greed" loot rules: need, as someone usually does anyway.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Rule of thumb on plans in public groups with "need before greed" loot rules: need, as someone usually does anyway.
    I normally agree, but I try to roll last and I always check to see what everybody else hit. If they DID hit need, I would have too. But they didn't, and I knew it.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Yes...but it makes you look like a jerk when everyone else goes Greed.

Seriously....with plans, lockboxes, vanity items etc the rule should always be NEED for the reason you gave.

EJL

I used to say at the beginning of my runs that I'd be hitting need on any mounts / plans / etc and they should as well if they want a chance at the item. That eliminates any possibility of ninja looting and I don't have to feel bad about hitting need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    I normally agree, but I try to roll last and I always check to see what everybody else hit. If they DID hit need, I would have too. But they didn't, and I knew it.
    I used to be very kind and generous and greeded. A few runs in heroics shows the true beasts in players (especially if a guild run). After the 3rd Battered Hilt drop in WotLK, I needed the sucker. Will do the same on all BoEs now.

Deleted
    If a player wins a Need roll under the Need Before Greed system on a Bind on Equip item, the item will become Soulbound to that player. The item will remain unbound if won via a Greed roll.
    So, needing on the pattern will make it BoP, as it should, to keep you greedy ninjas from stealing them.

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    So, needing on the pattern will make it BoP, as it should, to keep you greedy ninjas from stealing them.
    No it won't, as generally speaking plans/recipes have no binding status. Not BoE, not BoP, not BoA: just unbound, no binding status whatsoever. As such it is exempt from that 'if you need on it it'll become BoP' rule, so will remain unbound even if you need on it.

So as for whether you should need on them or not? Difficult to say. I personally would only need if it is something that character can use; I wouldn't need if it was something an alt could use. There are arguments to be made for any level of needing really, so it's up to your personal morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    No it won't, as generally speaking plans/recipes have no binding status. Not BoE, not BoP, not BoA: just unbound, no binding status whatsoever. As such it is exempt from that 'if you need on it it'll become BoP' rule, so will remain unbound even if you need on it.

So as for whether you should need on them or not? Difficult to say. I personally would only need if it is something that character can use; I wouldn't need if it was something an alt could use. There are arguments to be made for any level of needing really, so it's up to your personal morals.
    There are BoP patterns/recipes/plans.