Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

Seems Iran got another US drone.

"The Iranian military says it has captured an unmanned US drone aircraft in its airspace over Gulf waters.

The Revolutionary Guards said they had brought down a ScanEagle - one of the smaller, less sophisticated drones employed by the Americans.

Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi told the Fars news agency that the drone had conducted several reconnaissance flights over the Gulf in recent days.

The US said it was looking into the reports."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20591336

If it's true, it's pretty retarded. I don't know why the US would use 'less sophisticated' hardware when they have already been caught with their hand in the cookie jar once. If it is true, maybe they're doing it to try and provoke a reaction, pretty fucked up.

I'm pretty sure violation of airspace like that can be seen as an act of war, it was ignored the first time and the US didn't even get a slap on the wrist. I wonder what now. Maybe they 'lost control' and it 'strayed into Iranian airspace' again.

Someone is at fault. Either the Iranians took sown a drone over international waters or the US violated Iranian Airspace. I think the US violating their airspace is more likely as I don't see the Iranians going fishing to get whats left of a crappy drone out of the water.

Are you posting this just to get a reaction out of people?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no, they found another one of our toy airplanes that they'll have no idea how to use or reproduce...

The Chinese should buy it so they can pretend they know what to do with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Oh no, they found another one of our toy airplanes that they'll have no idea how to use or reproduce...

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the US was loading these old drones up with absolutely fake coding and parts/devices that do nothing but look integral, then letting them fall into the hands of Iran in the hope they make it over to China and completely confuse them?

/tinfoilhat
    Last edited by obdigore; 2012-12-04 at 09:25 AM.

I think you're missing the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's our new way of getting rid of garbage. Fly it over Iran and let them deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if the US was loading these old drones up with absolutely fake coding and parts/devices that do nothing but look integral, then letting them fall into the hands of Iran in the hope they make it over to China and completely confuse them?

/tinfoilhat
    Drats, now we're going to have to change it up some. Good job leaking intel, obdigore!

On-topic: Yeah, it's no big deal. They can't do anything with it besides getting a new mantle piece anyways.

10+ Year Old Account

/tinfoilhat
    or a Trojan horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    or a Trojan horse.
    They must not learn about Stuxnet 2.0!

It's not that, it's the fact that it was where it was, doing what it was. If it's true then it's messed up.
    Last edited by Palmatum; 2012-12-04 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    It's not that, it's the fact that it was where it was, doing what it was. If it's true then's it's messed up.
    Its unlikely we'll ever know what happened. Iran says it crossed into their airspace. The US will probably say it was in international waters. Both are believable.

Also, espionage isn’t new or exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    Someone is at fault. Either the Iranians took sown a drone over international waters or the US violated Iranian Airspace. I think the US violating their airspace is more likely as I don't see the Iranians going fishing to get whats left of a crappy drone out of the water.

I don't think it even matters much if the drone was in international waters, it was close enough to be near Irans and close enough that Iran could take it without to much trouble.

If Iran had a military weapon close to the US waters the US politicians would be screaming for a invasion right about now (which they already do but that is a different case).

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    I don't think it even matters much if the drone was in international waters, it was close enough to be near Irans and close enough that Iran could take it without to much trouble.

If Iran had a military weapon close to the US waters the US politicians would be screaming for a invasion right about now (which they already do but that is a different case).
    The US has patrolled those waters (and the rest of the whole world) for years, in part, to keep shipping lanes open.
    Last edited by Olo; 2012-12-04 at 10:47 AM.

Deleted
    I get it now, the US tactic is to send drones in Iran and bury them in drones. One day, every iranian will have a battle drone, using them as toys around and not even knowing what to do with them.

Actually... the chinese/russians could reverse engineer it and get their own. They're not that stupid.

Until Iran starts being honest about their ambitions, especially in regards to nuclear weapons, I could give a rats ass what drone they capture. They can saber rattle all they want. Sponsoring terrorism + developing nukes = massive drone invasions.

And if they want to take military action because of a drone, then guess what? They'll lose. I'm sure they've already got a Baghdad Bob in place to spew bullshit that nobody will believe.

/tinfoilhat
    This, Is, Genius! GET THIS MAN TO THE PENTAGON NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuukon View Post
    I'm sure they've already got a Baghdad Bob in place to spew bullshit that nobody will believe.
    That guy was amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuukon View Post
    Until Iran starts being honest about their ambitions, especially in regards to nuclear weapons, I could give a rats ass what drone they capture. They can saber rattle all they want. Sponsoring terrorism + developing nukes = massive drone invasions.

And if they want to take military action because of a drone, then guess what? They'll lose. I'm sure they've already got a Baghdad Bob in place to spew bullshit that nobody will believe.
    They might be telling the truth. Iran has every right to nuclear power. What's the point in having laws, policies and procedures if they're just going to be circumvented because the top dog doesn't like someone, it's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    They might be telling the truth. Iran has every right to nuclear power. What's the point in having laws, policies and procedures if they're just going to be circumvented because the top dog doesn't like someone, it's sad.
    Whats the point in having laws, policies, and procedures if some countries are just going to ignore them?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...445_story.html

If Iran ONLY wanted nuclear power plants (which the Russians offered to help them build for much less then a research then build cost), then why do they refuse the UN inspectors access to places?