Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Every Tuesday at the same durn time

Good morning all

Just a quick rant/vent to start the morning off!

Every Tuesday morning they do the maintenance at pretty much the same time. Getting real tired of
    being shafted every Tuesday morning. Come on guys, is it really that difficult to stagger the times?
    Some of us actually play between 5am and 11am PST. Would sure be nice to have a little consideration
    for us and, I don't know, maybe do a 6 hr maintenance from 12am to 6am once in a while?

Blizzard, please consider implementing a schedule that doesn't target the same group over and
    over again. The current system just isn't fair to all.

Rant over, thanks for reading and feel free to flame/holler or whatever

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm awake too and wish I could be playing. However, I'm pretty sure it's been said time and time again that this is the lowest population time for North America. All games that I've ever played do their maintenance at this time of day and usually on Mon/Tues. There is no way that Blizzard is going to run maintenance at a time when 2-3x (or more) people are online. I just hope that soon we get to the point where maintenance is not every week.

For example, I was the only person online in my entire friends list when I logged in at 345am PST (when I woke up). Also, despite being on one of the highest population servers, trade chat was nearly dead, 2-4 mins between posts when usually it is flying by so fast I can barely read it. It's been 8 years of Tuesday AM maintenance, I think it's safe to say you should just make other plans.
    Last edited by parkerlynne; 2012-12-04 at 01:44 PM.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

I dig the reasons, and they are valid, and I am sure you are right.
    Still grumpy tho

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess you didn't read the Terms of Agreement. You said it was ok for them to do this.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
    I dig the reasons, and they are valid, and I am sure you are right.
    Still grumpy tho
    I was grumpy last week when I woke up 5 mins after servers went down for the extended patch maintenance. However, I got the last pet I needed from the new ones about 5 minutes before they went down today so I'm quite pleased in comparison to last week.
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

Almost every MMO since EverQuest(I only briefly played UO, so I don't remember their downtimes) does their downtime Tuesday morning anywhere between 2AM and 6AM(starting time) PST. It is statistically the time that inconveniences the fewest people. I'm in the same boat as you - I work nights and I'm off Tuesday night, so I get off work Monday morning and have no WoW to play on my Friday - and it sucks, but it's an easy concept to understand and it is never going to change.

10+ Year Old Account
    On an only slightly related note. Does anyone know exactly what happens during maintenance?

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am east coast.

Starting the maintenance window at 0:00PM would affect several pacific coast guilds. If several east coast guilds raid until 'their' midnight you would have to assume that west coast guilds do the same.
    That being said, if Blizzard moves slightly their window to start at 2AM PST, it would allow the servers to come back up during the late morning for east coast.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try being living in Oceania, where you literally miss out on a night of WoW every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipshod View Post
    Good morning all

Just a quick rant/vent to start the morning off!

Every Tuesday morning they do the maintenance at pretty much the same time. Getting real tired of
    being shafted every Tuesday morning. Come on guys, is it really that difficult to stagger the times?
    Some of us actually play between 5am and 11am PST. Would sure be nice to have a little consideration
    for us and, I don't know, maybe do a 6 hr maintenance from 12am to 6am once in a while?

Blizzard, please consider implementing a schedule that doesn't target the same group over and
    over again. The current system just isn't fair to all.

Rant over, thanks for reading and feel free to flame/holler or whatever
    get a job? get a real life hobby? go outside for those few hours?

Keep it civil
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-12-04 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    On an only slightly related note. Does anyone know exactly what happens during maintenance?
    Usually it's just a quick server reboot, hence the rolling restarts they do. Sometimes though they need to apply new code (hotfixes, or behind the scene stuff) so it takes a little longer to upload/apply.

Also, think about it from Blizzard's perspective. If the maintenance window is always at the same time, then they can prepare for it in terms of staffing, scheduling, etc. If they have to keep switching the window just to appease a small group of players then it'll really mess with their work schedule. Sure, seems like a minor change, but overall just not worth it.

Maybe give Guild Wars 2 a try, they don't have maintenance. They figured out a way to do it on the fly so they don't have to bring servers down. It's pretty amazing!

Blizzard should really stagger the times for Oceanic realms though. Would it be so hard to give us late nighters a choice?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a messed up sleeping schedule and WoW goes on maintenance during my uptime but am I complaining? Nope, I'm content with waiting 6hours because I can find other things to do, maybe you should too.

OMG.. u mean there is one day a week that i can't play all day long, what ever should i do.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kassy View Post
    Don't be shitty, I used to work 3rd shift and got home at 5:15am PST. Being online at an odd time doesn't make someone unemployed.

I'm pretty sure for a while they were only doing rolling restarts.....Patch 5.1 just hit last week, you should ALWAYS expect maintenance after a patch week.

Also, they've been doing this for 8 years...come on now. No reason to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by kassy View Post

Keep it civil
    Thanks for your unfounded assumptions

I have a job that I devote at least 10 hrs a day 5 days a week to. Several hobbies including Geocacheing, Tabletop RPG's and
    softball during the season. I get plenty of outside time and exercise, thanks very much. WoW is also one of my hobbies.
    And the downtime occurs during my prime time hours. So i am taking this opportunity to gripe a little about it. I fully understand
    the reasons Blizzard has for their choice of downtime, and I fully understand this hasn't changed in 8 years and in all probability
    will never change and I am tilting at windmills. Oh well, I like tilting at windmills

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    Almost every MMO since EverQuest(I only briefly played UO, so I don't remember their downtimes) does their downtime Tuesday morning anywhere between 2AM and 6AM(starting time) PST. It is statistically the time that inconveniences the fewest people. I'm in the same boat as you - I work nights and I'm off Tuesday night, so I get off work Monday morning and have no WoW to play on my Friday - and it sucks, but it's an easy concept to understand and it is never going to change.
    Not even just MMO's, League of Legends does their maintenance within this timeframe. Firefall Beta as well.

My XBox, home kitchen, and neighborhood gym shut down Tuesday mornings too. I have to curl up in bed and weep hoping for 11am to roll around.

You just happened to pick the worst possible time to play. Not sure that they will ever change the maintenance window. Could be worse. Oceanics get additional maint on Friday nights during raid hours.