Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    The cost of living in Miami is really expensive unless you live in BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD neighborhoods where houses and even groceries are dirt cheap at the risk of being mugged in the parking lot. If you can't afford to live in really good locations I'd recommend you learn Spanish since most of the quiet suburbs are full of Hispanics. Traffic Jams are horrible in the freeway and we have some of the worst drivers in the world down here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvain View Post
    I'm just partial to palm trees and beaches which is the only reason i'm resistant.
    Like Reeve mentioned earlier, check out Lake Travis (and the rest of the Highland Lakes chain for that matter). It's a huge, gorgeous setting, great place to swim, has very clean water, no undertow, and no annoying jellyfish. You won't miss the palm trees.

Plus FL is a bit warmer consistently all year isn't it?
    Going by the averages (AUS, WPB), only slightly. Graphs don't tell the whole story though, since there's a great deal of variance in the "winter" high temperatures. (current outlook, just for kicks). A strong enough cold front in January or February might knock high temps down into the 30s and 40s, but I also remember a February hot streak we had several years ago with prolonged highs in the upper 90s.

For real though Austin is sounding like a better place for me. I'm just partial to palm trees and beaches which is the only reason i'm resistant. Plus FL is a bit warmer consistently all year isn't it?
    Yes, FL is warmer year round. Bit it is also ridiculously humid all summer, and it rains almost every day for about an hour (it will be sunny for most of the day, but a storm will pass through and it will be a fucking DOWNPOUR for 30 minutes, then sunny again for the remainder of the day) during rainy season. Texas will have higher temperatures in the summer (over 100 quite often), but it is dryer, so it actually often feels more comfortable than the 90s you get in the humid Miami summers.

Texas will have some chilly days in January, and maybe even a dusting of snow, but it's over before you know it (especially if you're coming from Ohio, you will not even consider a Texas winter to be "winter").

Again, I'm biased, but Miami is a great place to vacation, but you're far better off living in Austin for the many reasons already stated in this thread.

I was in Miami some years ago for WMC(winter music conferance), but I barely left S Beach.
    What I saw? Loads of drugged up and sleep deprived Europeans mixing with their american soulmates and oh, lots pf drunk american springbreakers that had troubles handling their liquor, I had a great time!

Loads of good music.

Then again I would like to go to Austin to, they got South by Southwest there, and I've only heard good things about it. Now this didn't help you one bit but there you go.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

south florida is excellent

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Like Reeve mentioned earlier, check out Lake Travis (and the rest of the Highland Lakes chain for that matter). It's a huge, gorgeous setting, great place to swim, has very clean water, no undertow, and no annoying jellyfish. You won't miss the palm trees.

Going by the averages (AUS, WPB), only slightly. Graphs don't tell the whole story though, since there's a great deal of variance in the "winter" high temperatures. (current outlook, just for kicks). A strong enough cold front in January or February might knock high temps down into the 30s and 40s, but I also remember a February hot streak we had several years ago with prolonged highs in the upper 90s.
    Thanks for the links, looks pretty awesome. I do have a possible great job opportunity in Austin if things go right next year so that will probably be the best move.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 08:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jaimelannister View Post
    Yes, FL is warmer year round. Bit it is also ridiculously humid all summer, and it rains almost every day for about an hour (it will be sunny for most of the day, but a storm will pass through and it will be a fucking DOWNPOUR for 30 minutes, then sunny again for the remainder of the day) during rainy season. Texas will have higher temperatures in the summer (over 100 quite often), but it is dryer, so it actually often feels more comfortable than the 90s you get in the humid Miami summers.

Texas will have some chilly days in January, and maybe even a dusting of snow, but it's over before you know it (especially if you're coming from Ohio, you will not even consider a Texas winter to be "winter").

Again, I'm biased, but Miami is a great place to vacation, but you're far better off living in Austin for the many reasons already stated in this thread.
    Yea being used to Ohio for all of my life, i'm sure the winter in Texas will be nothing, lol. It would be nice to go swimming on Christmas though. I've been on vacation in Florida a few times but never to Texas. I do remember it downpouring every day around 4 or so briefly, lol. I'll never forget that, it was like clockwork.

I grew up in Palm Beach Island and have also lived on Miami Beach and I've traveled a number of times to Austin.

West Palm Beach is a shit hole, pick another place to live.

Miami Beach is amazing, HORDES of hot women and Friday and Saturday night on 10th and Ocean Drive at the Clevelander are out of this world, plus News Cafe always is a popin place for coffee and drinks. But there are a LOT of Cubans and they even though we opened the goddamn gates for them, they hate Americans aka white people and many even though they've lived in the US for decades refuse to fucking learn English.

Austin... Amazing place to live, work and gobs of hot women. However, people from Texas are a VERY different breed of folks and it can take a long time to really fit in with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    We aren't that different And we definitely don't bite.
    Yeah, I think he's been watching too much Television.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimrot View Post
    I grew up in Palm Beach Island and have also lived on Miami Beach and I've traveled a number of times to Austin.

Miami Beach is amazing, HORDES of hot women and Friday and Saturday night on 10th and Ocean Drive at the Clevelander are out of this world, plus News Cafe always is a popin place for coffee and drinks. But there are a LOT of Cubans and they even though we opened the goddamn gates for them, they hate Americans aka white people and many even though they've lived in the US for decades refuse to fucking learn English.

Austin... Amazing place to live, work and gobs of hot women. However, people from Texas are a VERY different breed of folks and it can take a long time to really fit in with them.
    Hmm both sound pretty nice. I haven't heard any major negative things about Austin though so i'm sort of leaning towards there. Maybe i should take a vacation to each early next year and see what i like best. I'll avoid WPB, haven't heard anything good about it.

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 08:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Just don't tell him about that guy with the chainsaw.....
    lol nice one

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm both sound pretty nice. I haven't heard any major negative things about Austin though so i'm sort of leaning towards there. Maybe i should take a vacation to each early next year and see what i like best. I'll avoid WPB, haven't heard anything good about it.

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 08:24 AM ----------

lol nice one
    If you go to Austin during a warm month, you should definitely make a quick side-trip down to New Braunfels and float down one of the rivers there.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    If you go to Austin during a warm month, you should definitely make a quick side-trip down to New Braunfels and float down one of the rivers there.
    That sounds like a blast!

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds like a blast!
    Don't forget a water cooler full of beer or alcohol of your choice too. Maybe some pineapple soaked in vodka you can share with the girls on the river there.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Don't forget a water cooler full of beer or alcohol of your choice too. Maybe some pineapple soaked in vodka you can share with the girls on the river there.
    Sounds like my kind of place, lol. Are people pretty fit in general in Austin? I'm very into diet and exercise and i'm in great shape. I went to Myrtle Beach this summer and was blown away by how out of shape the majority of people were at the beach. Here in Ohio girls try to wear the same thing at the bars they wore when they were 20, and after years of drinking, eating, and not working out it doesn't look very good. It's always the same people too. I think winter here depresses everyone, and it's so long that a lot of people let themselves go.

Either Gin or Vodka and Soda Water, or Wine are my preferred beverages.

Vodka soaked anything is also very good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like my kind of place, lol. Are people pretty fit in general in Austin? I'm very into diet and exercise and i'm in great shape. I went to Myrtle Beach this summer and was blown away by how out of shape the majority of people were at the beach. Here in Ohio girls try to wear the same thing at the bars they wore when they were 20, and after years of drinking, eating, and not working out it doesn't look very good. It's always the same people too. I think winter here depresses everyone, and it's so long that a lot of people let themselves go.

Either Gin or Vodka and Soda Water, or Wine are my preferred beverages.

Vodka soaked anything is also very good.
    I can't really comment to the physical fitness of the people in Austin, since when I'm there, it's usually for an event that tends to favor the physically fit and/or hippie types, who tend to be on the thinner side. They seem to be on average more fit than the people in Houston, of course, but that's an easy feeling to get when you're out at 6th street or going to a college football game, or floating the river in New Braunfels, or going to Austin City Limits music festival, because that's the type of people it attracts.

Btw, when I said water cooler of beer, I meant an ice chest (check the limits on size and requirements on their website before you go). A water cooler full of beer would be hilarious though. And yeah, I'm a Gin and Tonic guy, but I also like Cider, which is really good for the river.

Austin is a college/young person city, so on average you will find people are fit. There are also TONS of outdoor activities to do in a climate like that, so that also attracts those same type of folk. I always see tons of cyclers there when I visit, as, unlike most of Texas, it actually has some hills.

I grew up in Miami, and have visited Austin once. Based on the rather limited amount of information you have shared, you should go to Austin, and never even think about going to Miami.

You could offer more information. For instance, if you want to scuba dive, or are a hipster, or don't speak / aren't willing to learn Cuban Spanish (plenty of places in Miami don't have any English speakers), these would all be important things to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimrot View Post

Yes, we Cubans hate white people and refuse to learn English

"According to another study in 2008, the geographical origin attributed to each mtDNA haplogroup, 55% of the sequences found in Cubans are of West Eurasian origin"

"The majority of the ancestry of White Cubans comes from Spaniards. During the 18th, 19th and early part of the 20th century especially, large waves of Canary Islanders, Galicians, Asturians, and Catalans emigrated from Spain to Cuba. Other European nationalities which immigrated include: English, Scots, Russians, Poles, Portuguese, Romanians, Italians, Greeks, French, Germans and Irish."

10+ Year Old Account
    Ignoring the higher cost of living in Miami, it can all be seen as a choice of which kind of MTV you prefer.

Miami is for the MTV now.

Austin is for the MTV of the 80s & 90s.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    oh! the new Lebron James!! take your talent to south beach!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Austin, its easily one of the best cities i've ever been to. I've been to Europe 4 times and traveled all around the US.

The economy is great, there's tons of nightlife with all the college students (chicks) you could ever want to meet. It's a smart, clean, healthy city.

Also, the beach is only about 3 hours away!

Good luck in your search.