Deleted

Warnings before closing threads

I just spent 2 hours writing 5 separate reviews about the 5 worst games of 2012 and then someone just closed the thread without warning.
    I was just about to be constructive and make that thread amazing...Now my 2 hours of work, all gone..

I'm not here to complain though. I can take it like a man! But can you at least add a warning system before the thread is closing?
    A prompt window would be amazing! It should appear everywhere in the thread, just smack right in the middle of your screen, even in the advanced post window. Like 5-10 minutes before the thread is closing it should appear, like this:

Warning: This thread is closing in 5 minutes.

This would give us a chance to wrap thing up and get some closure. Even though the thread is closing and none will reply to your post, it gives us the satisfaction of actually pressing submit! You have no idea how frustrating it is to write and edit your post to get it just perfect and then you don't even get to submit it for anyone to see.

It would mean the world to some people(and me) if we just get to press submit and get the feeling it wasn't all for nothing.
    Please, at least think about it.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2012-12-12 at 05:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel you man (I have had this happen to me too), but unfortunately most of the time mods choose to close a thread, we need to shut it down quickly. Letting it remain open to collect posts defeats the point of the closure.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Aww, guess I can understand that.

So A thread about the 5 worst video games does not appear to be against forum rules so I can only assume the thread was closed to being derailed or having one or more negative people causing issues.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just remove the posts of the offenders and suspend said offenders.

I mean I could understand the removal of the entire thread if the mods were overworked but that doesn't seem to be the case as pretty much every mod has ample time to take part in contributing to various threads throughout the day.

Besides it's not like people don't use the report post button allowing the mods to single out the troublemakers and their post's

15+ Year Old Account
    A warning like that would only encourage people to sneak in last minute insults. If a thread is bad it should be closed right away.

I saw your thread lol, it wasn't actually that long...maybe the time it took to form your opinions might take a bit but, again, your post didn't take more than 20 minutes of actual typing.

Your thread was just conflict over pure opinions, because people started posting about the games they didn't like (including MoP, lol...) and it would cause people to start arguing. I even saw a few games listed that made me think "wtf? I love that game are daft?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    So A thread about the 5 worst video games does not appear to be against forum rules so I can only assume the thread was closed to being derailed or having one or more negative people causing issues.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just remove the posts of the offenders and suspend said offenders.

I mean I could understand the removal of the entire thread if the mods were overworked but that doesn't seem to be the case as pretty much every mod has ample time to take part in contributing to various threads throughout the day.
    If good discussion is happening and it's just a few troublemakers, handling it on an individual basis is what we do. Closing threads is really for when it has gotten so out of hand that no proper discussion has happened any time recently. We can't just go through and delete dozens of posts and hope no one makes any new one.

In the case of "five worst video games," that might have been the case where it was causing "game vs game" discussion which is usually closed for being a forbidden topic.

(fwiw, we don't remove threads except in the case of spam. we just lock, so people can still read, just not comment)

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Warning: This thread is closing in 5 minutes.

Had to be done. I don't agree though. As someone else already mentioned, people would just race to get their insults in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

Oh god lol I saw the second thread you made. It was honestly kind of chaotic with bad punctuation and way too much info, so I guess you did write a lot, but..if the mods close one thread, most likely they'll close another thread of the same topic too.

If you really disagree PM Sunshine and [s]he'll reopen the thread if he sees fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    In the case of "five worst video games," that might have been the case where it was causing "game vs game" discussion which is usually closed for being a forbidden topic.
    Eh, more had to do with gigantic game bashing and not respecting each other's opinion.

It's when it gets very out of hand that we close it with no warning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I saw your thread lol, it wasn't actually that long...maybe the time it took to form your opinions might take a bit but, again, your post didn't take more than 20 minutes of actual typing.

Your thread was just conflict over pure opinions, because people started posting about the games they didn't like (including MoP, lol...) and it would cause people to start arguing. I even saw a few games listed that made me think "wtf? I love that game are daft?"
    It wasn't my thread and I didn't get to post my review I was completely unbiased in my review I even added pictures and videos to explain myself on certain points. My post was pure amazing! My grandpa almost rose from his grave to say *I'm proud of you, kiddo* That's how amazing my post was!

Now none will ever get to see it. It's mostly your loss and not my loss that I didn't get to post my review. /sadface

Deleted
    Some threads need to be closed, asap, to prevent more people from posting things that will get them infracted, it's better to close it fast than waiting 3 minutes for more people to post infractionable things, we really don't want that, that's why we close it right away, without a closing warning.

Although, some times, there is indeed a warning about closing the thread, that is, if the current topic or people that are discussing are breaking the rules.

Why not ask the mod that closed the thread to reopen it or if you can make another thread to discuss whatever it was you were discussing? Makes more sense then making this thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Why not ask the mod that closed the thread to reopen it or if you can make another thread to discuss whatever it was you were discussing? Makes more sense then making this thread.
    I was just trying to create a loophole where proper posters could get a chance to wrap things up. Also this is the suggestion forum and I made a suggestion in it. Making suggestions in the suggestion forum seems to make sense, at least it does to me.

Anyways, I got my answer from the first post so no need to argue about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    We always try to leave threads open as long as possible even when they're potentially going to go bad, so that as much discussion as possible can happen. If we do close the thread, it's usually to the point where there's no way we can let it go on any longer.

Like others said, if we left it open 5 minutes from that point, it would just be a giant "how many insults can i get in" party, and that sounds fun for nobody.

If you have some last-minute points to make to someone in particular (that aren't flaming), you're welcome to PM that person to continue the conversation.