Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roc View Post
    Two problems with this:

1- While Death Strike may miss, the heal and subsequent Blood Shield do not. They will always be applied. The only caveat here is that on a missed Death Strike the heal and Blood Shield will not benefit from Scent of Blood stacks. However, neither will a missed Death Strike remove Scent of Blood stacks.

2- The plus 20% parry from DRW is additive not multiplicative, and hence does not receive any additional benefit from a higher static parry rating. This means that whether your current parry on your character sheet is 10% or 15%, the increase parry from DRW remains the same: 20%. Hence, with DRW up, the character sheet parry for the two examples is 30% and 35%, respectively.

I do not mean to take anything away from anyone noting the dps benefits of being hit/exp capped. I just want to insure that people have a good idea of the pros and cons therein. A lot of good detail can be found on the Blood DK sticky in these forums, especially the section titled "Balancing Avoidance and DR". They have the script that you can run in-game which tells you the ideal parry percentage based upon your current dodge so that you minimize the diminishing returns on both stats.
    1. Yes I agree but the damage loss can be the difference between a kill or a wipe. Also, a good dk should only be using death strike at properly timed moments to yield the highest heal/shield so the removal of the scent of blood stacks from the death strike is a GOOD thing because you will want the increased heal at that given moment.

2. I never said it was multiplicative (and where ever you gleamed that from my post I do not know) but allow me to be more specific. I merely said that having a higher parry rating will improve the effectiveness of your DRW because you will have a much higher parry rating as in 44% instead of the 34% (with DRW active) you will have if you start reforging your parry away to gain dodge, not to mention you will have to give up a good chunk of hit and expertise reforges as well.

Of course bro, that's what we're all here for, to offer valid information to help players who ask for it. And yes the sticky thread does indeed offer some good information as do the blood dk threads on icy-veins and elitist jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsarathedk View Post
    having a higher parry rating will improve the effectiveness of your DRW because you will have a much higher parry rating
    wut?

Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    wut?

I'm going to be charitable and assume he meant:

If you have 20% avoidance (take 80% of the hits), using DRW would get you to 40% avoidance (take 60% of the hits), a 25% decrease.

If you have 40% avoidance (take 60% of the hits), using DRW would get you to 60% avoidance (take 40% of the hits), a 33% decrease.

However, changing parry to dodge would not change matters in either direction. The total avoidance is the significant part.

Dodge/parry DR's are seriously not that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    yeah when you hit 1% enrages that line of thinking changes
    I don't want to be a jerk about it, but if you're worried about 1% wipes on progression fights, are you posting questions about fundamental spec considerations?

I am by no means an expert on dk tanking. On my pally, I'm all about hit/exp, then mastery, and ~2:1 parry/dodge. On the dk, I am looking at okay hit/exp, getting mastery as high as possible, and about 2.1:1 parry/dodge. The numbers aren't that clean with diminishing returns, but they are in that neighborhood.

Death strike doesn't currently fail to heal/shield on a miss, so the hit/ exp cap that is critical with pallys isn't quite the same with dk's.

The only thing I can say from current level heroics and LFR is that if your healer is good and you are running well(a subjective measure at best) you don't even notice your health; you just worry about dps. If your healer is weak and you get some bad RNG, then your ability to keep yourself alive really shines, or you look like a fool.

Mastery is the way to go. Parry and dodge are unreliable whereas you have control over your Death Strikes. Stacking avoidance will likely reduce your overall damage, but it leaves you open to periods of "spiky damage" (i.e., strings of unlucky hits and perhaps some non-physical damage to boot). This is usually what healers talk about when they say a tank is hard to heal -- they're looking at their unit frames when BAM you're health suddenly plummets. Stacking mastery helps mitigate this effect as long as you're using death strike appropriately.

Basically, you should do your best to keep your health from spiking, mastery just makes it easier. Think of it as avoidance on demand as opposed to the random nature of parry and dodge.

Oh and parry and dodge suffer from diminishing returns. I don't think Mastery diminishes at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ouchmyface View Post
    Oh and parry and dodge suffer from diminishing returns. I don't think Mastery diminishes at all.
    Mastery suffers from DR due to multiple sources including itself. This doesn't show on the tooltip and is just as irrelevant as the DR on dodge/parry when it comes to evaluating effectiveness.
    Last edited by SSHA778; 2012-12-07 at 01:51 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    wut?

Taken from my post directly above yours:

2. I never said it was multiplicative (and where ever you gleamed that from my post I do not know) but allow me to be more specific. I merely said that having a higher parry rating will improve the effectiveness of your DRW because you will have a much higher parry rating as in 44% instead of the 34% (with DRW active) you will have if you start reforging your parry away to gain dodge, not to mention you will have to give up a good chunk of hit and expertise reforges as well.