High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Off tank opinions

Hi all, my guild's main tank is a Blood DK. I'm currently the off tank as a Brewmaster. Unfortunately I am not enjoying the Brewmaster spec and am looking to change to a different tank class.

Was wondering what everyone's opinion was to which class complimented Blood DKs for two tank fights.

I have a pally, Druid and DK all 85+ that I could quickly level up. I would prefer to go DK since frost is my favorite dps spec, but am not sure how awesome/detrimental it would be to have 2 Blood tanks.

Edited.
    Last edited by Baristan; 2012-12-04 at 04:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say warrior, or druid.
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

Deleted
    I woud say paladin, have the best experience with them as OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefarian View Post
    I woud say paladin, have the best experience with them as OT.
    If your guild ever decides to do Gara'jal on heroic, paladins and DKs are the worst tanks for that fight. Blood Shields do not absorb the damage mechanic (Vooodoo Doll?) and will kill your raid members much quicker.

Monks are the best, then warriors for that particular encounter. We sat our pally MT which was very weird, but our raid was literally getting 1-2 shot from the damage.

It depends on your raid comp. If you don't have a warrior in your group for skull banners then that would be your best choice.

2 DKs is manageable for every fight except Gara'Jal. It is very rough with 2 dks.

Prot Warrr > Prot Pally > DK

Warriors and pallys are nice cause they are block tanks and have a ton of utility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I would go with Prot Warr, mostly because of skull banner it's amazing. 2 DKs isn't really too bad, but on fights where you can't absorb you're in a much worse place than you would be with DK and Warr.
    Last edited by Halland; 2012-12-05 at 05:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by superdx View Post
    If your guild ever decides to do Gara'jal on heroic, paladins and DKs are the worst tanks for that fight. Blood Shields do not absorb the damage mechanic (Vooodoo Doll?) and will kill your raid members much quicker.

Monks are the best, then warriors for that particular encounter. We sat our pally MT which was very weird, but our raid was literally getting 1-2 shot from the damage.
    I am progressing on Gara jal, and its no problem at all, with rune tap, death strike, death pact, healthstones, gift of the naaru, and just plain old healing instructions you cant go wrong. And if the pally is close to drop below 60% he just BoP`s and no problem for the next 8 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefarian View Post
    I am progressing on Gara jal, and its no problem at all, with rune tap, death strike, death pact, healthstones, gift of the naaru, and just plain old healing instructions you cant go wrong. And if the pally is close to drop below 60% he just BoP`s and no problem for the next 8 sec.
    Its not about self healing its about reducing incoming damage... On Gara'jal hc Vodoo dolled targets only take damage from shadowy attacks (every 7-8 second) what you have to do is to reduce incoming damage and best for that task is warrior with shield block !
    I'm not sure if you know, but you can't absorb shadowy attack with ANY kind of damage absorption ability (warrior shield barrier etc... totally useless for shadowy attack)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamacho View Post
    Its not about self healing its about reducing incoming damage... On Gara'jal hc Vodoo dolled targets only take damage from shadowy attacks (every 7-8 second) what you have to do is to reduce incoming damage and best for that task is warrior with shield block !
    I'm not sure if you know, but you can't absorb shadowy attack with ANY kind of damage absorption ability (warrior shield barrier etc... totally useless for shadowy attack)
    he still can BoP himself to save the others... so if the dolled teammembers dip below 50% bop yourself and take no damage at all

Pally bubble + Clemency = 20 seconds of no damage, so paladin's definitely aren't bad for Gara'jal.

Deleted
    What ever you do, do not go for a second blood dk. Dk's don't have any raid CD's, you'll be sharing all the gear and it'll be extremely hard for the healers on some fights (ex. Gara'jal)

Deleted
    Guys why are you so focused on Gara'jal, OP did not even mentioned him >_> Also no ide how are you guys doing it, but we did it with a druid+dk, both classes who focus on physical absorption and had no problems. The big damage is the boss melee attack, not the shadowbolts, that's why you send people down on every totem to kill the spirits.

OT: I would say go for druid, a good all around tank and raid utility is amazing. Not to mention his survivability and self healing. We had him take down 2.5% of boss health on bladelord second phase, after whole raid died, he survived for like a minute.
    Last edited by mmoc485edc1e5f; 2012-12-05 at 05:51 PM.

As a druid you can also use Symbiosis on your DK friend and each gain an extra defensive cooldown

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baristan View Post
    Hi all, my guild's main tank is a Blood DK. I'm currently the off tank as a Brewmaster. Unfortunately I am not enjoying the Brewmaster spec and am looking to change to a different tank class.
    I would say Druid so your not trying to share the same gear between both tanks (though Bear/BrM would share with your rogue if you have one). Also may want to consider that you will be dropping one of the top DPS tanks for potentially one of the lowest so raid will loose a chunk of DPS if enrage timers are an issue. I believe that Bears are > Pally/Warrior DPS wise at least from my experience.

Not sure why you wouldn't want your BrM, haven't gotten around to even getting my DK past 85 since switching.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

well, druids are on the same token as DKs, so there is shared loot

plus palas atm gear way differently with the whole exp to hard cap, cap hit, stack haste thingy so they are more fighting with other melee dps leaving the mastery plate for you ^^