Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Arcane] 6-charge camping

Just wondering if I'm doing it right. My average ilvl is 486 and I topped all of our heroic kills in MSV after getting used to it in LFR (did everything and topped 90% of fights, converting many fire mages to arcane).

My strategy is basically, while using RoP, if I have 2 missle charges under 4 charges, I use one, and when I get to five, use it again to get to six. At this point I would pop my engineering tinker, AP, (Mana gem before hand to get back to 100%), and Alter Time, using missle charges on proc. After AT is down, I would normally six-charge camp down to 80-85% mana under AP - without AP I would camp around 90%. I would weave in scorches if I don't get enough procs to regen back to the near 90% threshold.

I try to avoid using ArcBarr at all costs. I did pretty good DPS. One thing I like about Arcane is how free-flowing it seems to be. For movement. Was wondering what people thought about 6-charge camping to get the most mileage out of your gear. I went for stacking haste over mastery.

[EDIT] - During six-charge camping, I would consume missile charges as they proc'd.
    [EDIT2]- For AoE, is it best to tab-dot NT and then use glyphed fire blast to instantly trigger the secondary effect?
    Last edited by munchkin; 2012-12-04 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Added extra test

Deleted
    A bit off topic but do you have the WoL for the MSV hc fights I'm looking into arcane I just want to compare how its doing with my mate who's currently doing it in frost and me in fire?

Obviously it won't tell me much form just your one set of fights but I'm interested all the same.

Logs are marked as private right now; sent my GM a text to see if he could make them public.

Deleted
    The issue with 6-stack camping is that you sacrifice the huge damage Arcane Barrage does. It hits way harder than 5 Missiles.

Deleted
    Cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    The issue with 6-stack camping is that you sacrifice the huge damage Arcane Barrage does. It hits way harder than 5 Missiles.
    Yes but no way the damage from arc barrage can make up for the ramp up time to get back to six stacks. I'd only barrage if you're under 75% and have no quick way to get back mana.

Deleted
    If you have 2set Missiles can hit for about the same; and considering he's Haste build having Arcane Blasts constantly at 6 stacks is far more beneficial over the course of a standstill; when you have to move or cleave you use barrage.

Don't get me wrong, I know barrage hits like an absolute truck. But, 2set missiles hit hard and they don't sacrifice stacks; resulting in you having to take time to get back up to 6 stacks. While it's not a huge DPS loss, it turns out to be a small one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    If you have 2set Missiles can hit for about the same; and considering he's Haste build having Arcane Blasts constantly at 6 stacks is far more beneficial over the course of a standstill; when you have to move or cleave you use barrage.

Don't get me wrong, I know barrage hits like an absolute truck. But, 2set missiles hit hard and they don't sacrifice stacks; resulting in you having to take time to get back up to 6 stacks. While it's not a huge DPS loss, it turns out to be a small one.
    Yes but I meant after you used up those 2 missiles, it's probably better to use a barrage instead of trying to fish for new missiles with low dps spells.

If everything goes correctly, the only barrage you should use is right before alter-time ends, since it will bring you back to your 6stack. I suppose when Lei Shi does her "hide" ability, you can dump your stacks, and also I use barrages during her "Get Away" ability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it really worth scorch weaving over just Barraging off our stacks once in a while when we get very unlucky with procs though? Scorch really does hit like a wet noodle compared to even AB1-2-3.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Altered-Time.com - the #1 Mage Theorycrafting community.

Deleted
    Yes but I meant after you used up those 2 missiles, it's probably better to use a barrage instead of trying to fish for new missiles with low dps spells.
    6 stack camping is about maximising Blast/Missiles damage rather than relying on a Barrage crit to keep your overall dps afloat, you don't drop stacks until you need to either move or until you've burned too much mana and need to regen or need to move.
    Last edited by mmoc7cd3c912a5; 2012-12-04 at 05:29 PM.

Does anyone else have comments or suggestions on 6-stack/charge camping vs clearing stacks with ArcBarr and resetting? Or is scorch weaving ok? I can recall some 100-110k scorch crits last night.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinoa View Post
    Is it really worth scorch weaving over just Barraging off our stacks once in a while when we get very unlucky with procs though? Scorch really does hit like a wet noodle compared to even AB1-2-3.
    From what I saw scorch did only like 10% less dmg then ABx1. Obviously, 2+3 AB widen the gap. Still looking to do more testing/research before I can say which is better. Seems like it's so close atm that it comes down to personal preference.
    Jobahlie-Mage- Only of it's kind since Vanilla WoW

Will be interesting what happens if scorch rotation results higher dps, and given it has additional benefits to it.. It could lead to yet another arcane change or scorch nerf

Quote Originally Posted by munchkin View Post
    My strategy is basically, while using RoP, if I have 2 missle charges under 4 charges, I use one, and when I get to five, use it again to get to six. At this point I would pop my engineering tinker, AP, (Mana gem before hand to get back to 100%), and Alter Time, using missle charges on proc. After AT is down, I would normally six-charge camp down to 80-85% mana under AP - without AP I would camp around 90%. I would weave in scorches if I don't get enough procs to regen back to the near 90% threshold.

I try to avoid using ArcBarr at all costs. I did pretty good DPS. One thing I like about Arcane is how free-flowing it seems to be. For movement. Was wondering what people thought about 6-charge camping to get the most mileage out of your gear. I went for stacking haste over mastery.
    What do you mean by 6-charge camp? Does this just mean to cast Arcane Blast at 6 stacks of Arcane Charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Smigel View Post
    What do you mean by 6-charge camp? Does this just mean to cast Arcane Blast at 6 stacks of Arcane Charge?
    You use scorch as a filler to regen mana so you can cast another arcane blast or AM if proc at 6 stacks, rather than reseting stacks

But its arcane only viable with RoP?

and, talking about movement, what would be better?
    - casting AB+misilles "without watching" your mana for the last seconds before moving, and regen with scorch while moving
    - Normal rotation without dropping from 90% mana and barrage+scorch while moving

Is it safe to say that 6-charge camping is ok?

It's not ok, it's recommended.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dankestbuds View Post
    If everything goes correctly, the only barrage you should use is right before alter-time ends, since it will bring you back to your 6stack. I suppose when Lei Shi does her "hide" ability, you can dump your stacks, and also I use barrages during her "Get Away" ability.
    At least in LFR, I managed to mantain 6stack by pre-casting 2 Runes in a row and just letting me go each time I had an AM proc, while hovering over the 2 runes spamming scorch. Dunno if in NM you can cast while letting he drag you.

Also noted that Glyph of Loose Mana lets you cast 2-3 consecutive Blasts.
    Last edited by mmoc64d91a2d32; 2012-12-13 at 04:54 PM.