Thread: astro a40 help

astro a40 help

so im sure im obviously missing something but cant seem to get my new astro a40 headset to work fully

i get all audio and sounds great what im not getting is anything from my mic

here is how i have it setup

from mix amp to pc - optical cable
    from mix amp to pc - usb for power
    from mix amp to pc - 1/8th from mic out/daisy chain port to mic/headset *green/pink* input on mobo on board sound
    from headset to mix amp - standard cable with in line mic

im using on board audio for now till i get replacement sound card

i updated the on board audio driver

the motherboard is

asus maximus iv extreme z

so again i get audio but cant get mix to work, audio sounds great

thanks

15+ Year Old Account
    what mixamp do you have?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    what mixamp do you have?
    its the astro mix amp that comes with the a40

the a40 i got was this

15+ Year Old Account
    I only ask because the older mixamps won't work with PC without a special adapter (yours is fine)

The mixamp-to-PC toslink cable will take care of all incoming audio (provided your motherboard is outputting to that channel which it seems to be)

The USB power from the mixamp-to-PC should take care of powering the mixamp and the microphone audio. you shouldn't need the lines out from the daisychain port

i haven't looked at this issue in a long time, but i'm fairly certain the optical and USB cables are the only two you need. you'll need to go in and set the usb device to be the recording device in your microphone settings in order for the mixamp to pick up your voice though
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Be sure that you have the mic plugged in both ends in the proper ports and then in Windows in your trays icons rightclick the speaker icon, go to Recording Devices, then be sure your mic is listed and rightclick it then be sure you have Set As Default Device and Set As Default Communication Device both checked.

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 11:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    I only ask because the older mixamps won't work with PC without a special adapter (yours is fine)

The mixamp-to-PC toslink cable will take care of all incoming audio (provided your motherboard is outputting to that channel which it seems to be)

The USB power from the mixamp-to-PC should take care of powering the mixamp and the microphone audio. you shouldn't need the lines out from the daisychain port

i haven't looked at this issue in a long time, but i'm fairly certain the optical and USB cables are the only two you need. you'll need to go in and set the usb device to be the recording device in your microphone settings in order for the mixamp to pick up your voice though
    Wrong, optical/coaxial doesn't carry the outgoing mic sounds. That's a separate channel.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    Be sure that you have the mic plugged in both ends in the proper ports and then in Windows in your trays icons rightclick the speaker icon, go to Recording Devices, then be sure your mic is listed and rightclick it then be sure you have Set As Default Device and Set As Default Communication Device both checked.
    This is different with a mixamp. The mixamp should be picked up as a USB recording device and that should be set as the default device; same concept as a mic, but it will be called a mixamp or usb device

Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    Wrong, optical/coaxial doesn't carry the outgoing mic sounds. That's a separate channel.
    Yes, I know, that's why I said incoming. The Toslink cable will function to transfer audio to the headphones, the USB cable should be what carries your voice from the mic to the computer to send to others