Is the fury rotation actually difficult or am I just bad?

I'm ilvl 486 and SMF fury, don't let the good gear fool you. My DPS is quite a bit below where it should be despite gemming/reforging/enchanting properly and having the 2pc tier bonus. I CAN do great dps...on fights with hardly any movement, but when movement comes in to play my DPS drops like a rock because I find it hard to pay attention to movement AND managing all those CDs and timing everything with CS hard. Is fury one of the harder rotations or is it actually one of the easier ones and I'm just terrible? I'm useing, weapon wise, 483 scimitar from HoF and 476 elegion, former with dancing steel and latter with windsong.

10+ Year Old Account
    It took me a while to get the feel for it but yeah, I'd say in the current age of priority systems, it is one of the more demanding ones out there.
    Roseby - Fury/Arms Warrior
    Jobei - Elemental Shaman

Requiel's #1 Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Roseby View Post
    It took me a while to get the feel for it but yeah, I'd say in the current age of priority systems, it is one of the more demanding ones out there.
    Good, I was wondering if switching to a simpler class like spriest(mine just hit 90) would improve my DPS at all seeing as ranged is easier than melee anyway and it has a simpler rotation with far less CDs to manage.

Is TG pretty much the exact same thing rotation wise or is it any less demanding? (Seeing as how TG has less rage generation and inherently hits harder) In the words of my raid leader, "You've gotten great at surviving and moving when you need to but your DPS needs a lot of work."

I'd say Fury isn't the most difficult spec out there, but rage management matters a hell of a lot. Don't reroll just to make more DPS, you should just get more solid in your Fury play instead. And TG is the same, albeit less reliant on execute phase and more on the >20% phase. And I don't find Warrior CDS difficult to manage. Well, my only issue is if I can squeeze in the third Skull Banner or not between the opening and the execute phase which depends a lot on the fight, but other than that it's very simple, you have your 1 minute cds which lose nothing on being used together.

edit: what about the heavy movement is it that makes you deal poor damage? Because with double time and death from above glyph, I have no issues (granted I cheat as I'm an engineer and have nitroboosts as well), or is it just that you need to focus on other things as well? Any example of a fight where you feel you underperform?
    Last edited by Maxie; 2012-12-04 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
    I'd say Fury isn't the most difficult spec out there, but rage management matters a hell of a lot. Don't reroll just to make more DPS, you should just get more solid in your Fury play instead. And TG is the same, albeit less reliant on execute phase and more on the >20% phase. And I don't find Warrior CDS difficult to manage. Well, my only issue is if I can squeeze in the third Skull Banner or not between the opening and the execute phase which depends a lot on the fight, but other than that it's very simple, you have your 1 minute cds which lose nothing on being used together.

edit: what about the heavy movement is it that makes you deal poor damage? Because with double time and death from above glyph, I have no issues (granted I cheat as I'm an engineer and have nitroboosts as well), or is it just that you need to focus on other things as well? Any example of a fight where you feel you underperform?
    I have ADHD, so I find it hard as HELL to focus on both not dying AND doing optimal DPS. If I need to pay attention to getting out of fires in time and moving around with the boss, my dps drops because I start forgetting to blow CDs/not paying attention to procs. On the flipside of I focus on my rotation and timing everything properly I can do great DPS, but I just can't focus on both at once. That's why I'm liking my spriest so far, there's still a bit to pay attention to but it seems to be a lot more forgiving and messing up doesn't make my DPS plummet as much. A fight I absolutely shine on (on my warrior) is Gara'jal (or whatever the troll guys name is in MSV). I also do pretty good on elegon because once you know what to do there's not too much unexpected movement and it's better if I know exactly when things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Genooo View Post
    I have ADHD, so I find it hard as HELL to focus on both not dying AND doing optimal DPS. If I need to pay attention to getting out of fires in time and moving around with the boss, my dps drops because I start forgetting to blow CDs/not paying attention to procs. On the flipside of I focus on my rotation and timing everything properly I can do great DPS, but I just can't focus on both at once. That's why I'm liking my spriest so far, there's still a bit to pay attention to but it seems to be a lot more forgiving and messing up doesn't make my DPS plummet as much. A fight I absolutely shine on (on my warrior) is Gara'jal (or whatever the troll guys name is in MSV). I also do pretty good on elegon because once you know what to do there's not too much unexpected movement and it's better if I know exactly when things happen.
    Hm, well, that's an issue for sure. I can generally do both, but on first boss HoF at the rings (Attenuation?) I just focus on two things: making sure I don't get hit and making sure that I'm hitting BT every cd. Anything additional is something I've been adding later on as I have gotten more used to that part of the fight.

Maybe you should just decide "okay, if I can't give both my rotation and the mechanics enough attention, I'll just focus on executing the very basics of my rotation/priority correctly + the mechanics". And then adding more later on as you get more of a feel for the fight (like on Elegon which was one of your examples). I'd say the two most important things you should do are hitting BT every cd as well as making sure that you have as much rage as possible for each CS and don't accidentally wild strike it all off while you've lost focus. :P

edit: Addons that give you a clear idea of your rage status/proccs/etc, might be a good idea, I have a lot of that information almost in the middle in my screen so that might allow you to do more than one thing at a time. Just trying to come up with somethign helpful, sorry if it isn't, lol.
    Last edited by Maxie; 2012-12-04 at 07:09 PM.

Have you considered Arms? It's a very easy rotation/priority system (with a couple of minor tricks involved).

The DPS isn't as bad as everyone says it is once you get used to the rotation. It's just easier to manage. Maybe give it a go next lockout.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Is TG pretty much the exact same thing rotation wise or is it any less demanding? (Seeing as how TG has less rage generation and inherently hits harder) In the words of my raid leader, "You've gotten great at surviving and moving when you need to but your DPS needs a lot of work."
    TG generates exactly the same amount of rage as SMF just in bigger chunks. And yea rotation is pretty much the same

Another thing you may look into is finding trackers that work best for you. I know UI customization is real boring for some while I actually enjoy taking a day now and then to just go through everything, making sure I've explored every option an addon has available.

I use ButtonTimers which is placed just above my cast bar which is just above my health bar. That way my eyes are only moving between the action and 1 other location on screen. I prefer ButtonTimers just because its visual style works best with my eyes, but everyone is different and finding your preference could be what you need.

Some other options are:
    ClassTimer
    NeedToKnow
    EventHorizon

Deleted
    Get used to Rage Management, once you start to get touch of it your dps will grow up.

Get addons to track stacks of RB and for enrage too.

Deleted
    BT, Filler1, Filler2; repeat - without rage starving or capping

Pushing BT when it's ready, line up cooldowns with CS and track Blood Surge, Enrage and Raging Blow buff. Just have a look at the simmed action priority list to get a grasp about if it's complex or not. Remove those lines for double talents and you got 20ish things, some of if rather obvious (like prepot, use consumeables or enable autoattack). And now look ... at feral or owl

Quote Originally Posted by klausistklaus View Post
    BT, Filler1, Filler2; repeat - without rage starving or capping

Pushing BT when it's ready, line up cooldowns with CS and track Blood Surge, Enrage and Raging Blow buff. Just have a look at the simmed action priority list to get a grasp about if it's complex or not. Remove those lines for double talents and you got 20ish things, some of if rather obvious (like prepot, use consumeables or enable autoattack). And now look ... at feral or owl

The fact that our rotation consists of "filler1, filler2" makes it complicated because what those specific fillers are depend on several factors at any given moment.

Is CS avail? yes then filler1 = cs, no then is RB available? yes RB is filler 1, no - is bloodsurge procced? yes WS is filler 1 - no - is rage > 40 yes WS is filler1 - no - is battle shout avail? yes battle shout is filler1 - no is heroic throw avail etc etc.

On top of all this you are constantly monitoring your enrage and zerker rage status and your amount of rage as CS is coming off cd to dump some hs's into that window.

I agree with one of the above posters that fury is one of the more complicated specs to play currently.

As far as optimal rotation vs survival, I also agree to err on the side of survival. If you're dead your rotation is going to be very sub-optimal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have ADHD, so I find it hard as HELL to focus on both not dying AND doing optimal DPS. If I need to pay attention to getting out of fires in time and moving around with the boss, my dps drops because I start forgetting to blow CDs/not paying attention to procs. On the flipside of I focus on my rotation and timing everything properly I can do great DPS, but I just can't focus on both at once.
    I am pretty sure ADHD isn't your problem. As a child I also had ADHD. Or maybe it was ADD. There's no real difference between the two in relevance to raid performance. I also don't think it's something that just leaves you at a certain age, after reading the description of it.

There is no magical solution to better raid awareness, but I would start by doing some raiding without any addons enabled. Honestly, sometimes it is nice to have a wake-up call with DBM, but most raiders only use it for timers.

Honestly just sounds to me like you are inexperienced playing a melee class, in general.

I can't play a wizard. I've tried, I can't.

Well, I probably could. But I don't wanna. Don't even want to try. It's just not my style.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1975 View Post
    Have you considered Arms? It's a very easy rotation/priority system (with a couple of minor tricks involved).

The DPS isn't as bad as everyone says it is once you get used to the rotation. It's just easier to manage. Maybe give it a go next lockout.
    The DPS isn't as bad, but its certainly noticeable by a large degree. It also depends on the gear I guess and if he has an excellent 2h for Arms aswell.

I think arms vs fury playability is purely a preference. I find MOP arms to be clunky, this is coming from a die hard arms warrior from Cata.

Fury is a bit more demanding than other dps specs, my suggestion is to have a way to actively track ALL your CDs (this includes BT and CS) so you always know what you have up at any given time. My suggestion (if you haven't already) is weak auras, track all your spells around your character so you can implement them when they matter most.

Fury at its current rotation/priority list is basically working around BT's 4.5 sec cooldown, CS's 20sec cool down, maximizing enrage uptime, stacking cds that synergize, and managing your rage generation.

Guides are everywhere so I will spare the forum the details. But what I found helped me the most is an addon that tracks almost every spell you have so you have the priority down to a T.

Deleted
    I myself did not get the point of rage pooling at start, so that 'BT -> FILLER -> FILLER -> BT' affected my damage alot, make sure to read whole fury thread here at warrior forums.

EDIT: I was actually starving with rage because of that filler stuff.

Deleted
    Just reiterate what others have said, but are you using any addons? I find I need to use trackers all around my character. Right now I'm using Slam and Awe and in the past I've used power auras for everything. I stick them right in the middle of my screen so if I'm watching out for some fire, I still see when Bloodthirst etc. is available.

There are definitely easier classes out there. I played a rogue for Dragon Soul and you do so much dps for so much less effort but I still prefer my warrior's style. As others have said, it's all about rage management and once that clicks, you get into a nice rhythm and it's great!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.twitch.tv/landsoul_vodka/b/344897055

Starting at 18 minutes. Might not be "the hardest" class to play but the dynamic play of it makes it incredibly difficult to master.

http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...l/Deviltheory/
    “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” - Plato
    http://www.twitch.tv/seanmphoward / http://www.youtube.com/user/ASoulByondRepair/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Sentientsix View Post
    http://www.twitch.tv/landsoul_vodka/b/344897055

Starting at 18 minutes. Might not be "the hardest" class to play but the dynamic play of it makes it incredibly difficult to master.
    That actually helps out a lot, I do much better with verbal teaching than I do with reading, and I suspect a lot of other people are the same way so thanks for linking that.

Landsoul's use of CS is a little different than rusty's fury guide.